Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
AA EXP on an international itin or on the special LAX-JFK do have access to the QF F lounge.

SvenB1414 was incorrectly denied access.
Exactly. AA EXP has access based on qualifying itinerary, not COS. I have frequently entered the lounge flying Y and J to SYD or MEL, or coming off of a Y or J transcon (including MIA-LAX).
Old May 23, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by zpaul
Exactly. AA EXP has access based on qualifying itinerary, not COS. I have frequently entered the lounge flying Y and J to SYD or MEL, or coming off of a Y or J transcon (including MIA-LAX).
And all of that is noted in the wiki... Seems not to work.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:04 am

And all of that is noted in the wiki... Seems not to work.
Well, it *usually* works, but there are well-documented experiences where the QF lounge agents incorrectly denied access. For a while it was common, but then the agents underwent some retraining and the instances of incorrectly denied access diminished greatly. I think this may be a one-off, unfortunately, although it doesn't help in this case.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
AA EXP on an international itin or on the special LAX-JFK do have access to the QF F lounge. ...
The rules may possibly have changed recently. EXP on solely "North American" itineraries do not have access to this Qantas First Lounge unless they are traveling in First from LAX to JFK or LAX to MIA on AA/QF.

Note that SvenB1414 may have access to the AA FL under AA rules.

The Qantas First Lounge is not operated by AA so oneworld rules apply as follows.

The oneworld rules in relation to status now have no mention of three class USA domestic flights, but do have the exclusion of AAdvantage status PAX on 'North American' itineraries:
oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status

Enjoy exclusive access to premium airport lounges around the world with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire frequent flyer tier status. Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown (exceptions are noted below).
  • Emerald tier frequent flyers can use First Class, Business Class or frequent flyer lounges.
  • Sapphire tier frequent flyers are welcome in Business Class* or frequent flyer lounges. (*does not include Qantas Domestic Business Lounges)
  • Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass and frequent flyer membership card, with oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status, to access a lounge.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. American Airlines and Qantas offer programmes enabling customers to pay to gain access to their lounges. These programmes are not part of the oneworld agreement, and members of these programmes are not entitled to access lounges under the oneworld agreement.
  2. American Airlines AAdvantageŽ members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. For more information, visit, http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...miralsClub.jsp
  3. Qantas Frequent Flyer Gold members, regardless of their oneworld tier status, cannot access Qantas Domestic Business Lounges.
  4. Qatar Airways’ Al Safwa First and Al Mourjan Business lounges in Doha (DOH) and Qatar Airways’ Premium Lounges at Dubai (DXB), London (LHR) and Paris (CDG) are excluded.
That is, there is no provision for access there to any oneworld lounge for SvenB1414 as an EXP being on a 'North American' itinerary.

However, the oneworld rules do refer to available North American access on three class flights in relation to class of service:
oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.
  • First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.
  • Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
    • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
    • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
    • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.
  2. Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways’ Al Safwa First and Al Mourjan Business lounges in Doha (DOH), or Qatar Airways’ Premium Lounges at Dubai (DXB), London (LHR) and Paris (CDG).
To reiterate; in relation to the oneworld Business and Qantas First lounges in TBIT:
  • NO status based access for Advantage elites on solely "North American Itineraries".
  • Class of service based access is available for passengers on solely "North American Itineraries" where the route includes travel on 3 class services between JFK/LAX, JFK/SFO and MIA/LAX.

Here are the current oneworld lounge access rules:
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Last edited by serfty; May 23, 2017 at 7:30 am
Old May 23, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by serfty
The rules may possibly have changed recently. EXP on solely "North American" itineraries do not have access to this Qantas First Lounge unless they are traveling in First from LAX to JFK or LAX to MIA on AA/QF.
Wow...that is a change. I accessed the QF First Lounge various times last year as EXP in J JFK-LAX connecting to Y LAX-MEL. This year I've been lucky enough to be in F JFK-LAX so I never thought to check the access rules...disappointing, especially with the AA FL in the state that it is in right now.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:48 pm

You are indeed correct. No change has happen as of now

In that case you had access on LAX-MEL as an EXP...

Wow...that is a change. I accessed the QF First Lounge various times last year as EXP in J JFK-LAX connecting to Y LAX-MEL. This year I've been lucky enough to be in F JFK-LAX so I never thought to check the access rules...disappointing, especially with the AA FL in the state that it is in right now.
serfty,
An EXP going in Business or Economy LAX-JFK or MIA would have access to the AA FL.

The link under "eligibility" says the following

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ss-lounges.jsp

AAdvantageŽ ConciergeKeySM and Executive Platinum members (regardless of cabin flown) departing or connecting to a qualifying international* flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Central and South America, Australia, New Zealand and Mexico City (MEX) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between JFK and LAX or SFO and LAX and Miami (MIA). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit.

This exact policy also applies to the QF lounge at LAX just to reduce crowding

STOP POSTING MISINFORMATION!

Last edited by miamiflyer8; May 23, 2017 at 12:54 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 3:34 pm

Does this lounge serve the a-la-carte food items till late night?
I'm on the CX LAX-HKG flight that leaves a little after midnight, and I'm planning on getting to the airport around 10 pm without having eaten dinner by then.
I was wondering if I'd still be able to have a nice meal in the lounge at that time.
Thanks-!
Old May 23, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This exact policy also applies to the QF lounge at LAX just to reduce crowding

STOP POSTING MISINFORMATION!
How is it misinformation?

AA rules do not necessarily equal QF rules do not necessarily equal oneworld rules or a combination thereof. (e.g. Someone with no status travelling Business on a Qantas flight can guest into a Qantas lounge as long as the guest is travelling on the same flight. There is no such Business class guesting based on oneworld rules.)

I have posted directly from the oneworld web site. Looking at the Qantas access page there is nothing that could be used. If you can provide a confirmed source that contradicts that, I will amend my post. Also something to verify your "crowding" comment would be nice.

Last edited by serfty; May 23, 2017 at 7:08 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by agjil
Does this lounge serve the a-la-carte food items till late night?
I'm on the CX LAX-HKG flight that leaves a little after midnight, and I'm planning on getting to the airport around 10 pm without having eaten dinner by then.
I was wondering if I'd still be able to have a nice meal in the lounge at that time.
Thanks-!
I believe the kitchen closes at 11:00 PM, so you should be OK. Personally I'd aim to be at the lounge a little earlier to enjoy a multi-course meal and some bubbles
Old May 23, 2017, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I believe the kitchen closes at 11:00 PM, so you should be OK. Personally I'd aim to be at the lounge a little earlier to enjoy a multi-course meal and some bubbles
Thanks, good to know the kitchen closes at 11.
I'll try to arrive at the airport a bit earlier as you suggested.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:11 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Expect the Flounge to be crowded in the hours prior to the 3 x QF departures. Tables are occupied for lengthy times, people eating where they can find a seat - lounge chairs, the bar etc. Slow service. Its not necessarily the relaxed quiet environment that many expect. At least that was my experience there on Saturday night a few weeks ago.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by og
Expect the Flounge to be crowded in the hours prior to the 3 x QF departures. Tables are occupied for lengthy times, people eating where they can find a seat - lounge chairs, the bar etc. Slow service. Its not necessarily the relaxed quiet environment that many expect. At least that was my experience there on Saturday night a few weeks ago.
Interesting. I've used the QF F Lounge multiple times, many times till closing, and never encountered overcrowding or poor service. But then again, we always sit up at the bar,
Old May 24, 2017, 7:56 pm

Lax arrivals lounge for qantas f pax?

Exactly. AA EXP has access based on qualifying itinerary, not COS. I have frequently entered the lounge flying Y and J iSYD or MEL, or coming off of a Y or J transcon (including MIA-LAX).
Is there an arrivals lounge at LAX for QF F Pax? L.A. is my destination, so no transit which would allow me into a Oneworld or QF F lounge to take a shower.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No arrivals lounge exists.

Those who are flying onward from LAX may access a lounge if so entitled.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by serfty
How is it misinformation?

I have posted directly from the oneworld web site. Looking at the Qantas access page there is nothing that could be used. If you can provide a confirmed source that contradicts that, I will amend my post. Also something to verify your "crowding" comment would be nice.
Given that LAX is an AA hub and many EXP's are based there, there would be too many people with access to the QF F lounge at any given time. As AA doesn't permit lounge access to their own EXP's on sole North American itineraries, QF and AA have decided to install the reciprocal policy to only allow EXP's on a qualifying itinerary.

And like I posted above, this policy will also apply to the QF lounge as it does to the AA lounges.

AAdvantageŽ ConciergeKeySM and Executive Platinum members (regardless of cabin flown) departing or connecting to a qualifying international* flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Central and South America, Australia, New Zealand and Mexico City (MEX) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between JFK and LAX or SFO and LAX and Miami (MIA). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.