Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by brabb12
... Is it the lax kids beach play area?
Not sure what that means ...

As you enter, the service desk is in front. All have to head to the left (north).

If after entering you turn right (west) and go as far as you can, you then turn left (North). Head along towards the bar - after you pass the private rooms and well before you get to the bar, it opens out on the right - this area had the child related furnishing.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by serfty
Not sure what that means ...

As you enter, the service desk is in front. All have to head to the left (north).

If after entering you turn right (west) and go as far as you can, you then turn left (North). Head along towards the bar - after you pass the private rooms and well before you get to the bar, it opens out on the right - this area had the child related furnishing.

Ah Ok. Sorry I'm thinking a different part inside the airport.

This must be a new then? That's wonderful. Good I can drop my kid off and hit the bar. Woohoo!!! Jk
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:25 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Nice lounge - shame about the (lack of) view. But that's not a new. What is new is that it's already starting to look shabby in a few places. The maroon lie back chairs and foot stools need a good vacuum - some have so much stray blond / grey hair on them it looks like the family dog slept on them There's also grubby hand marks building up on the white chairs. Little things early in the life of the lounge, but without good maintenance, it'll go downhill quickly. Oh, and the outside of the atrium windows need a good clean - dust and dirt all over them.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:53 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Get ready for this lounge to get more crowded. The connector to T4 is open.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
Get ready for this lounge to get more crowded. The connector to T4 is open.
Interesting... I await the first time the 'crowded' card is used.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by moa999
Interesting... I await the first time the 'crowded' card is used.
. Do you think a lot of people for aa will actually use the lounge? Seems a pain to switch terminals just to use the lounge.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:22 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
. Do you think a lot of people for aa will actually use the lounge? Seems a pain to switch terminals just to use the lounge.
Given AA people are pretty cognisant on their entitlements, and that the connector sounds like a short walk, I would think that a fair proportion of AA flyers will use the QF lounge.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:16 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Hilarious -- they can't use the AA F lounge in T4 so walk over to QF F lounge in TBIT. I used the old connector when it was used for international arrivals at T4 clearing immigration/customs at TBIT, that was 10 minute walk and presume the "new" connector is using the same route. Brisk walk to build up an appetite before attacking the QF lounge food.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:39 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by number_6
Hilarious -- they can't use the AA F lounge in T4 so walk over to QF F lounge in TBIT. I used the old connector when it was used for international arrivals at T4 clearing immigration/customs at TBIT, that was 10 minute walk and presume the "new" connector is using the same route. Brisk walk to build up an appetite before attacking the QF lounge food.
No the new connector is above departure level. Yes will take a few minutes to walk but that isn't much.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
it's a four minute walk:
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Update: The video is now stabilized, and I added some annotations.

I walked from Gate 41 to the F lounge in a little over 4 minutes, standing still on the escalator but walking on the people mover.
Walkthrough of LAX's New T4-TBIT Connector - YouTube
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
Hilarious -- they can't use the AA F lounge in T4 so walk over to QF F lounge in TBIT.
An AA elite flying an AA domestic itin won't get into the QF/OW lounges either.

Applicable to other OW elites, and AA elites on international itins.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
The QF F lounge is well worth a short walk given the high quality of the food, table service, and ample bar selection. Even the J lounge is nicer than most of the ACs and FLs; I always take advantage of it when possible, regardless of the obstacles in getting to it.

That said, I selfishly hope that not too many people take advantage of it.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I'm here in LAX, I just tried the new terminal connector from T4 to TBIT (short 5min walk). I have a domestic flight LAX-MIA and I was denied, I'm AA Exc PLT and LA Comodoro (OW Emerald), I know as EXPLT I can't access, but as LA Comodoro I should. The young lady (late 20?) told me that since I'm flying domestic with AA I can't, and she sent me to the Business Lounge.
On OW Business Lounge I asked the lady, and she told me the same thing, only if I'm flying international, I told her that's not OW rules, and she said that Qantas First Class Lounge have their own rules that are different that OW rules, which is not true since this lounge is not the exemption (as a few others).

Too bad, I had a 4 hours layover and I really want to try this lounge, I'm coming back in a week but my connection will be to short.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by fedechat
The young lady (late 20?) told me that since I'm flying domestic with AA I can't, and she sent me to the Business Lounge.
On OW Business Lounge I asked the lady, and she told me the same thing, only if I'm flying international,
I do not see that restriction in the Qantas access rules.

Eligible OneWorld Status
Emerald
Next onward flight that day must be on a oneworld operated and marketed flight.#

I'd print out the rules and take a copy next time - unless someone can point out that I've failed to see a restriction.

Does anyone know what the start time is for lunch?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: BA SILVER, AA EXEC PLAT
Did you ask to see a lounge supervisor? From the sound of it they were wrong to deny you entry using a non-AA emerald card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.