Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
There has been a dispute on the access rules. In theory any EXP or OW/EMERALD should be allowed access to a First class lounge (Excluding AA Flagship for domestic EXP). Did you get denied access to the lounge.

And for those of you who flew BA to LHR or any other OneWorld flight in Economy or Business, did you get invited or not?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
The lounge access policy is something they will need to resolve before the TBIT - T4 connector opens. I wonder if this is the driver for trying to restrict access?

I wonder if as one of the comments in Lucky's article suggests, they might make the F lounge a non-OW lounge somehow.

Otherwise I can't see how they can follow the OW rules and keep Status pax out of the J or F lounge.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:15 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
So apparently this has been sorted out. But what worries me is this article makes no reference to QF accepting the rules, or noting that the staff have been told of the correct access policy:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-cla...in-los-angeles
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:00 pm

Good news

I visited this lounge after the Australian BT article and was granted access.

I'm AA Exec plat and was flying business to JFK (with onbound flights to MIA and Panama City the next day). I was a little nervous since my international segment wasn't same day but front desk agent was very polite and didnt push back at all.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:45 pm

So if we can use the QF lounge in TBIT at LAX for domestic US flights (no international connections involved), after using the QF lounge, how does one move to the other terminals at the airport to catch the domestic flight?

As far as I know there are no airside connections between most of the terminals, so this would mean one needs to exit TBIT first, then re-enter the other terminals from the external entrances.

Can you just leave the building without going through immigration?

TBIT is a terminal for international flights after all, so I'm not sure if it's possible to leave the building without having to go through immigration/customs once you're airside.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
TBIT is also used for domestic flights, operating just like any other large airport in the USA with international arrivals being channeled along separated hallways/walkways away so they cannot access the departures concourse without first going through immigration and customs and security.

Next year an airside connector between T4 and TBIT will be completed. Once that happens with will be possible to walk between TBIT and T4-T8 without having to reclear security.

Until then, I have seen reports of an airside bus now operating from TBIT to T4 that may be available. (This is distinct from the evening QF bus that has been going one-way from T4 to TBIT for many years.)

Aside from any bus, it is simple to walk out of TBIT to landside and re-enter any LAX terminal as long as you have a BP for a same day LAX departing flight.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:13 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by serfty
?..
Aside from any bus, it is simple to walk .........
You mentioned the bus, and I think you got away with it
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I'm arriving on QF F from SYD and connecting to a domestic AS flight. Any chance I'll be able to access the F lounge during my connection? Connection time is 4hrs.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
I'm arriving on QF F from SYD and connecting to a domestic AS flight. Any chance I'll be able to access the F lounge during my connection? Connection time is 4hrs.
No access, AS is not a oneworld airline and there are widespread reports that QF lounge at LAX does not permit entry for elite status/premium cabin domestic flyers.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL GLD; AA GLD; CO GLD
Hi,

I am traveling via LAX on JL F and plan to use this lounge. According to the one world website I can have a guest as long as that guest is traveling on any OW flight. On the Qantas website it indicates that if gaining access via class of service (I.e. F) your guest has to be traveling on the same flight as you. My guest will be flying AA.

Anyone have any data points with respect to this seeming contradiction?

Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are travelling as a (non Qantas) oneworld First passenger. With that oneworld rules apply: (https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access)
oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.
  • First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline. ...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:40 am

What about AA domestic First, does that give you access? Sure, most AA flights are two-cabin, domestic first could be counted as Business. But you are still in First. What about the F PAX three-cabin LAX-JFK flight? Seems like a gray area to me.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by mattm199
The lounge access policy is something they will need to resolve before the TBIT - T4 connector opens. I wonder if this is the driver for trying to restrict access?

I wonder if as one of the comments in Lucky's article suggests, they might make the F lounge a non-OW lounge somehow.

Otherwise I can't see how they can follow the OW rules and keep Status pax out of the J or F lounge.
The thing is that they could work around it similar to what Lufthansa does. They make the Senator Lounges as their "official" First Class lounge. Lufthansa states that their real First lounge is their HON Circle lounge and they invite their own first passengers as a "courtesy" So Qantas would say that it's a Platinum and Platinum One lounge and their own F pax are invited as a courtesy.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brabb12
I heard there is a small area in the first lounge for kids? Is this true? I have a 18 month old boy.
I was there a couple of weeks ago. An area in the west of the First lounge has been set aside for kids (small seats, some toys. etc.).
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
I was there a couple of weeks ago. An area in the west of the First lounge has been set aside for kids (small seats, some toys. etc.).
well good thing I we will be going back in a month. And this time we have a lot of time to kill so that is where my little guy is going. Is it the lax kids beach play area?

Last edited by brabb12; Feb 12, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.