Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Note the related AA page has been updated similarly.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:52 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I recently flew J to JFK and was admitted to the LAX F lounge as a BA Gold (as I should have been).
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I've just completed a full photo and written review of this excellent lounge in my report here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...t-lounges.html
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
FYI, not on the published breakfast menu, but just had some off the hook bacon as a side dish, accompanied by some rose champagne, of course.

Very quiet in the mornings. Maybe 10 people in around 9:00 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
How late has this lounge been staying open lately? Officially I think it's 11:30PM, but a poster in another thread says it's sometimes later? It looks like the last Qantas flight is 11:20PM.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Often QF16 is delayed and the lounge does stay open.

On any given day, keep your eye on QF12 JFK-LAX as this is generally the operating aircraft for QF16 to BNE.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Saturday I'm flying LAX to JFK in J. Am OW Emerald via EXP. Last time I tried to get in flying J on the LAX-MIA flight I was denied and sent to the Business Class lounge but have been in 2 times before on flying to MIA.

Fingers crossed for Sat! I love this lounge. Looks like people have had better luck of late getting in while on the JFK flight
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
It's a bit of a walk from TBIT to T5 where all of the JFK flights now depart from now.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
It's a bit of a walk from TBIT to T5 where all of the JFK flights now depart from now.
agrred but if I get in it’s worth it!
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by phxbarcelona
Saturday I'm flying LAX to JFK in J. Am OW Emerald via EXP. Last time I tried to get in flying J on the LAX-MIA flight I was denied and sent to the Business Class lounge but have been in 2 times before on flying to MIA.

Fingers crossed for Sat! I love this lounge. Looks like people have had better luck of late getting in while on the JFK flight

well I was denied and sent to the business lounge. Same guy as last time who denied LAX to MIA in J

EXP in J to JFK today
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
The access conditions now seem to have some uniformity regarding access to LAX 1st Lounge:

AA:American Airlines AAdvantage® members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

QF: AAdvantage Executive Platinum and Platinum members regardless of Emerald or Sapphire status are not eligible for lounge access when travelling on American Airlines operated flights solely within the United States or between the United States and the Caribbean, Canada, or Mexico (except Mexico City).
Old Sep 30, 2017, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phxbarcelona
well I was denied and sent to the business lounge. Same guy as last time who denied LAX to MIA in J

EXP in J to JFK today
Even though there are varied anecdotes on this, the result is correct in terms of published *O rules for access.

By those terms, an EXP travelling to JFK from LAX on AA would need to be in First Class on a three class flight (& otherwise not on an "international Itinerary") to get access to the Qantas First Lounge.

i.e. The access as written for such flights is Class of Service based. There is no status based access published for for AA elites on these flights.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
It seems to me that access to the InternationalFirst Class Lounge is now denied to all AAdvantage members regardless of their level and regardless of class of travel if on an itinerary within the US (i.e. domestictravel). I suppose this is to limit such passengers to Admirals Club or Flagship lounges.

One world now offers a choice of Qantas International First Lounge and American Airlines International First Lounge (described as being in T4) in the dropdown menu.

Last edited by Granlor; Oct 1, 2017 at 7:09 pm
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it's denied - it just less advertised.

e.g. Try finding reference on Qantas.com to F and J PAX arriving on QF flights from DXB/SYD/MEL having access to the AA T3 arrivals lounge (they do).
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:58 pm

Just want to report I was just allowed access as pax flying AA F class LAX-JFK.
serfty and Granlor like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.