Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas vs Cathay to Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AirNZ silver; Qantas Platinum; Emirates Silver.
Qantas vs Cathay to Hong Kong

Hi all, I can use with some opinions regarding my upcoming trip. I'm flying to Seoul from Melbourne but there's no direct flight, so I'm planning to catch a connect flight in HK.

I'm entertaining the following options on Qantas and Cathay, and I want to hear some of your thoughts.

1) How's the premium economy cabin on both? The prices at the moment are comparable, and I want to know which is a better product, specific the hard product and the seat.

2) J class on both. On Qantas it's either A333 or B747-400, and I've only flown A380 Qantas long haul before so I don't know if J seat is lie flat for the former two. I know A333 are supposed to be re-fitted with new lie flat J seat but I'm not sure if they are flying this route yet. Cathay is flying A333, B772 or 773. I want to know which airline and/or plane has a comfortable seat? Also do I earn the same amount of of Qantas status point?

Any other suggestion on how to get to Seoul will be helpful. Thank you.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:16 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The QF 330 does not have a PE cabin. I wouldn't worry about getting the new config in QF J unless you want to go via SIN. But, you don't say when you are travelling.

Might be worth checking the cost of a Business ticket on VN, TG, CA, and so on (ie expedia or similar). This may be a whole lot better than a PE ticket.

As I understand it, all the CX 330s to SYD and MEL have the brilliant J seats. These would have to be the best of the bunch IMHO. Certainly much better than ANY of the QF offerings.

Last edited by og; Feb 26, 2015 at 6:27 am
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:33 pm

CX has the excellent herringbone seats in J, if you're going business Cathay has the edge.

However Qantas has a better PE setup.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is also OZ and KE going via Sydney to consider. One plus of this is that there are so many flights between the 2 cities, that easy to be protected in a cancellation or similar plus on way back , if permitted, a lot of options for a quick connection back to Melbourne
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by og
As I understand it, all the CX 330s to SYD and MEL have the brilliant J seats. These would have to be the best of the bunch IMHO. Certainly much better than ANY of the QF offerings.
Originally Posted by Offshore171
CX has the excellent herringbone seats in J, if you're going business Cathay has the edge.
Agree - direct aisle access on the CX J seats wins out for me vs. Qantas.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF codeshares on OZ SYD-ICN and this is the best way to go in Y (OZ has great Y service). For J agree that CX is the best choice. QF MEL-HKG is good if you upgrade which makes J cheaper than on CX .
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:31 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by number_6
QF codeshares on OZ SYD-ICN and this is the best way to go in Y (OZ has great Y service). For J agree that CX is the best choice. QF MEL-HKG is good if you upgrade which makes J cheaper than on CX .
The only way QF is better than CX is if a 380 is operating and the front F cabin is opened to those in Biz ( I assume only WP access ) since F is not sold.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I agree with others... CX J class wins. Not on the food and wine, but on everything else (service, movies, bed comfort).

In premium economy, the QF and CX seats are pretty much same same. But QF is more of a business 'lite' rather than economy 'plus' as you will get on CX. (QF will serve sparkling wine, and an upgraded meal service etc etc). But CX still wins for frequency of flights and IFE.

It's hard to beat the triple frequency of flights by CX... which might offer a better connection for you to ICN.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:33 pm

I would even argue on the food. QF in J will give you one "large" plate & one small with limited choices. CX has more choice and better size meals. We flew QF to Canada & CX back, & CX won hands down on everything except wine.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
I would even argue on the food. QF in J will give you one "large" plate & one small with limited choices. CX has more choice and better size meals. We flew QF to Canada & CX back, & CX won hands down on everything except wine.
Not sure I agree with that. I'm no fan of the big plate, small plate rubbish but there's certainly enough choice there. CX wins everytime for me over QF. The food isn't as good, although the serving sizes are much better, but I'm not flying in J for the food.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by soulighter
How's the premium economy cabin on both? ...the hard product and the seat.
QF744 PE - config is 2-4-2 with 38" pitch & only one toilet. Cabin feels very crowded (A380 is only 2-3-2).
We did the day flight SYD-HKG. The aisle seat in front was reclined for most of the trip & it was difficult for either of us to exit our seats. First row is better. Seats felt hard about 8 hours in. We used points; wouldn't pay cash (2 x Y$) for the privilege & not over night. I'm not fussed with service (often don't order at all) but it seemed adequate.

Last edited by blutek; Feb 26, 2015 at 8:56 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
QF PE product is better.

But QF does not have PE from MEL-HKG, you have to go via SYD and pick up the 744/380 there.

J - depends on what you value. Certainly ex-MEL, unless you're desperate with food, CX will win because it is the Cirrus reverse herringbone J seat on its 333 services ex-MEL. QF's 330's will have the slanted Skybed Mk I, again, unless you transit, SYD, you won't get the 744 with Skybed II (like the 380). Even then with SYD-HKG, you might be unlucky and get a replacement 744 with slanted J.

With the regional flight HKG-ICN, CX is a bit of a lottery. You may not even get a PE seat. Their regional J is slightly better than QF PE - some might argue otherwise.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:59 am

Qantas and Cathay imo both offer good products. CX probably has the edge through due to hard product and flight frequency.

Personally I would choose based on price.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to all those who responded, much appreciated.

Sounds like the general consensus is, Cathay J is a better product, whereas in PE Qantas has a slight edge over Cathay.

I shall have a look at flying via Sydney as well, sounds like there maybe a few more options if I go via Sydney.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is also OZ and KE going via Sydney to consider. One plus of this is that there are so many flights between the 2 cities, that easy to be protected in a cancellation or similar plus on way back , if permitted, a lot of options for a quick connection back to Melbourne
Hi Dave, pardon my ignorant but who/ what are OZ and KE?

The reason why we prefer to fly via Melbourne is it cuts out one flight and hence safe time (flight and stopever time) and another potential source delay. Having said that, if it adds a few more flight options, I will certainly look into that.

Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.