Qantas vs Cathay to Hong Kong

Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by soulighter
Hi Dave, pardon my ignorant but who/ what are OZ and KE?
OZ - Asiana
KE - Korean Airlines

You'd need to look at timings for the connection to SYD, and if purchasing a separate ticket for any domestic Australian connections, be aware that baggage can't be through-checked. you'd need to collect in SYD, take the train (own expense), and check-in with the airline concerned.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Also do I earn the same amount of of Qantas status point?
To respond to the Status Points question, there is a huge difference since QF introduced "Simpler&Fairer" last year.
Flying PE with QF will give you 60 SC for MEL-HKG, flying Cathay will give you 30 SC.
Flying J with QF will give you 120 SC each way, flying Cathay will only give you 60 SC.

So if SC are important for you, I would fly QF and via SYD.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
I would rate CX and QF pretty evenly so choose based on what FF program is most appropriate
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:38 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Need to also consider for Qantas:
- qf29/30 gets business suite a330 from April next month - that goes some way to levelling the playing field vs CX in terms of hardware - direct row access and flat bed. CX will still win on frequency, movies and service
- if qf to HK, how to you plan to Seoul? Will you consider economy for the hk-Seoul flight?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by percysmith
- qf29/30 gets business suite a330 from April next month
Where'd you get that from? Those of us that were at the AGM last month, and who were advised of the upgrade schedule, were of the opinion that QF would only have enough 333's to be able to effectively service SIN for at least another few months.

Dave
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta
Where'd you get that from? Those of us that were at the AGM last month, and who were advised of the upgrade schedule, were of the opinion that QF would only have enough 333's to be able to effectively service SIN for at least another few months.
thadocta: KVS. Is there any other way I can generate a seat map from qantas.com.au directly?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AirNZ silver; Qantas Platinum; Emirates Silver.
Originally Posted by percysmith
- if qf to HK, how to you plan to Seoul? Will you consider economy for the hk-Seoul flight?
Yes that will be my plane, to sit in economy for the short HK to Seoul flight.

The advantage of flying with Cathay will be checking the bags straight thru to Seoul from Melbourne, downside is I get less SC but that bothers me less as I will have qualified for platinum just before the trip and it's a long way to next level that I won't bother!

Bottomline, if I'm playing for a J class fare, I want the best hard product and a good soft product is a bonus.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:15 pm

As two OW airlines (although they are really at each other's throats over bilateral flight quotas and Jetstar HK), you should be able to interline?

Even if QF MEL check-in can't give you CX boarding pass, if you OLCI on cathaypacific.com on the outbound and qantas.com on the inbound they should be able to interline your luggate?

CX HKG was able to give me my IB MXP-MAD BP and check through. But that was on one PNR.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AirNZ silver; Qantas Platinum; Emirates Silver.
Can I actually use Qantas point to get a reward J seat, or request upgrade using Q points on Cathay or any other OW partners? If I can, how do I go about it?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:51 pm

Err, why not?

QF FF website show CX availability for you to redeem directly.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Can I actually use Qantas point to get a reward J seat, or request upgrade using Q points on Cathay or any other OW partners? If I can, how do I go about it?
You can't use Qantas points to upgrade on Cathay, or other oneworld partners. But you can redeem Cathay biz class flights outright.

The QF website doesn't show all cathay availability and connections. So might be worth ringing QF telephone sales to see what they can see.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:07 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
More on what to expect on CX:

http://www.traveller.com.au/is-catha...p-to-be-13yqeb
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by og
Just to note (commenting on the CX side of things is more of my home turf):

1. The MO menu is not available in J, and only in selected routes in CX F (i.e. none to/from Australia)

2. I can confirm what Vines say about the steak, but I'll stil pick it if no other western main is available (I'm not a big fan of Chinese food and I eat enough of it on the ground due to necessity anyway)

3. The paint stripper is not served in mini bottles in CX Y. In fact this was a pleasant surprise when we took QF Y a couple of years back.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I agree with others... CX J class wins. Not on the food and wine, but on everything else (service, movies, bed comfort).
However, if you don't care about wine, CX has cocktails which blow QF's offerings away.

I currently rate CX as my favourite J product, well above QF. As CX will happily interline baggage to other (even non-OW) airlines, I choose them over QF every time in such situations as this.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
CX/QF award availability opening within 2 months of date?

I'm picking my way back from NZ to Thailand via a USDM J award.

The routing I could get 2 months ago, which I booked, was WLG-SYD-PER-HKG-BKK. Not particularly direct!

For the long-haul I'd hoped for AKL-HKG on CX, or one of the many east coast SYD/BNE/MEL to any of BKK/SIN/MNL (QF) or to HKG QF/CX flights.

I guess I could also fly AKL-KUL on MH (there actually is J award availability on the 772), but I have strong preference for QF/CX.

I knew better availability would be unlikley at the time of booking, however after looking at the loads for early Jun which seem very light, I wonder if either CX or QF will release a few more some J award seats with a couple of months - or has the bidding/buying for upgrades spoiled any chance?

I'm checking daily, and have some EF alerts for U class on QF, but am I wasting my time?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.