Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No shoes, no shirt, no service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by perthite
Much hi viz these days isnt vests, the actual clothing is hi viz, so new yiu are just arguing about a colour.
No, the argument is over whether hi visibility clothing is smart casual - I would suggest that it is not
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:16 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No, the argument is over whether hi visibility clothing is smart casual - I would suggest that it is not
One could argue that a long sleeve hi viz shirt and long pants is more 'smart casual' then I in jeans, t shirt and sneakers.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by m0hamed
One could argue that a long sleeve hi viz shirt and long pants is more 'smart casual' then I in jeans, t shirt and sneakers.
Doubt it would be much of an argument
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Smart Casual is such a nebulous ill defined thing - what matters is what Qantas chooses to accept - and they have made their position on that known.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
So, if a passenger is travelling in shorts, branded sandals or flip flops or slip on shoes and a round neck tee with sleeves or a collared/polo shirt, that's not acceptable?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by wolf72
So, if a passenger is travelling in shorts, branded sandals or flip flops or slip on shoes and a round neck tee with sleeves or a collared/polo shirt, that's not acceptable?
Not until you get on the plane, apparently. How ridiculous to have a dress code in an airport lounge. I'd love to meet some of the wowsers with nothing better to do than complain to QF about what other flyers are wearing.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bensyd
Not until you get on the plane, apparently. How ridiculous to have a dress code in an airport lounge. I'd love to meet some of the wowsers with nothing better to do than complain to QF about what other flyers are wearing.

That rules me out of ever flying Quantas. Anyways, I agree that passengers should have clothing on and should not be barefeet. It's a question of basic hygiene and being fair to the person sitting next to them..but...too vague at the moment.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Fashion issues (colour, pattern etc) aside, there has to be some distinction between Casual and Smart Casual. To my mind (YMMV) jeans, T-shirts and sneakers are definitely casual, but not smart casual

Mind you, I would never wear any of the above on a plane. Not because I'm a fashion snob - anything but, I despise fashion snobs - but because I don't think they are very practical. Jeans don't have enough "give" in them, most aircraft are too cold for a T-shirt, and sneakers are more hassle to take on and off (yes, I do take my shoes off in planes, sorry - but at least I use a foot-and-shoe deodorant spray!) and make my feet too hot. And even with the spray, you wouldn't want that

Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:52 pm
Suspended

I am just uncomfortable in jeans for long flights..it's a personal preference to use jogging pants or shorts..and sandals so i can take them off/put them on as the feet so swell up during the long flights..and usually wear a t-shirt and bring a light fleece jacket if it gets cold...never ever fly with jeans or long pants or corporate stuff..
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:59 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
If I'm on the SYD-MEL run, I'll be in a suit. If I return on a weekend, I'll be in my jeans, sneakers and Fred Perry polo.

I don't think QF will enforce this, unless flip flops in the lounge have created a hazard with broken glass recently?

I see people on weekends wearing shorts and flip flops and I really couldn't care less.

When you fly JQi you soon learn what 'casual' really means. I was ashamed to see Australians traveling to Thailand in singlets, footy shorts and girls whose denim shorts were clearly not long enough.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:02 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
So if I turn up to the Flounge wearing QF PJs from J, will I be let in? Or do I have to wear F PJs to be let into the Flounge? Of course, I'd have to be on a very lucrative dare to even contemplate this ...

But, where do QF PJs stand in relation to a stereotypical JQ bogan pax on a DPS flight wearing trackie dacks and a singlet (or indeed a T shirt with some obscure logo on it (eg a tripleJ exploding head)) - that may have cost a small fortune to buy?

Great idea QF to have dress regulations, but it's got hairs all over it.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: QFF WP
I think it is disappointing that the airline is classing high visibility clothes as being smart casual
Given about 80% of people in the PER QP (and when ever it opens J lounge) any weekday morning are FIFO WP's on their way to work, it would be an interesting move to tell them they are not welcome (Imagine turning Twiggy away from the CL because he is heading to Cloudbreak with some ministers)
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by bensyd
My thoughts exactly: As long as the "dress code" in the lounge is not aligned exactly with that on the plane, how can this even make sense?

Think about it: Someone buys a ticket in C or F for many thousands of $$$ which DOES allow him/her to travel in thongs and a singlet on the plane, but that same person gets turned away by the lounge dragon for "not meeting the dress code"...
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Think about it: Someone buys a ticket in C or F for many thousands of $$$ which DOES allow him/her to travel in thongs and a singlet on the plane, but that same person gets turned away by the lounge dragon for "not meeting the dress code"...
But the noddy travelling in Y with lounge access gets to feel self important for getting the dress code enforced.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by wolf72
That rules me out of ever flying Quantas. Anyways, I agree that passengers should have clothing on and should not be barefeet. It's a question of basic hygiene and being fair to the person sitting next to them..but...too vague at the moment.
That rules out anyone in the world flying "Quantas".

Have there been any airlines recently with a large number of people flying without clothes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.