Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas launches 'Bid Now Upgrade' auction for J upgrades

Qantas launches 'Bid Now Upgrade' auction for J upgrades

Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Platinum
Interesting about people's experiences - I have recently successfully upgraded twice with points only from J to F on the SYD-DFW flight. First time (May 8) I only requested 14 days out and was successful and second time (June 14) was 8 days out and also successful. As a Gold too, so I thought I would have next to no chance (demand and points plus pay option) so was pleasantly surprised twice. Both times cabin was 100% full.

I thought I read somewhere that fare class helps i.e. a flex business ticket is prioritised over a sale business ticket? (both times were flex).
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I recently had two successful upgrade bids on QF, PE to J, on JNB-SYD return. Im not a FF of QF (I took the OW points on BA) so I wasnt asked to contribute any points, just cold cash.

I received an email a week before departure inviting me to bid. In both instances, the minimum acceptable bid was $590. So I bid $600 for both legs (in case someone else bid the bare minimum). For JNB-SYD, I received an email a few minutes after OLCI opened, saying the bid was successful. But for SYD-JNB, the email only arrived about 16 hours before departure. (Those were nervous hours.)

The outbound flight was maybe 70% full, but inbound was packed. I suspected they would have to do op-ups anyway, but I wasnt going to take the chance, the flight is over 14 hours. Besides, it seemed like great value to me a few weeks earlier, they quoted me over $1000 outbound and $1200 inbound to upgrade.

Id actually heard QF PE is the best in the sky, and I was quite looking forward to trying it, but I had a wander all the way to the back and, although PE obviously looked much more pleasant than Y, I have no regrets about making it into J

Ive been lurking on FT for years and flying much better as a result. I thought maybe its time I said something.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:42 pm

Bidding Upgrades Qantas

Does anyone know whether Qantas as looking for more money or more points for these upgrades? We tried last flight with a half and half type bid and were unsuccessful, despite being Gold FF and already being in PE.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:04 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Gary
My low-ball 3,000 pt + A$95 bid was rejected by QF.

I did note J class was full for this sector, so I presume QF must have accepted higher bids or granted full points last minute upgrades
Or sold the seats, or added deadheading crew, or staff travel pax or op-upped due to overselling etc.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:27 am

A data point on this.

We flew QF95 and I bid $505 ($10 over the minimum), and was successful for 3 seats into J. We were originally in PE on a sale fare. The bids were not offered on QF8 outbound, and my wife and her nephew flying home on QF93 were also not offered upgrades. Because we were using our AA numbers, the bids were cash only, no points.

As a side note, Qantas was absolutely terrific to us. My dopey wife left her phone in the seat back pocket of a domestic flight. I called the QF lounge (only number I could fine to get a human) at the airport, and she reported the plane had left the gate already for its next flight. I spoke to the QF lounge at the plane's next destination (same issue), and the lady there reported that a CSM had boarded the plane, retrieved the phone, and left it at Baggage Services where we picked it up. Simply excellent service, and I have left a detailed compliment on the QF website.^^
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:10 pm

classic points upgrade vs bid now

I have just booked a flight to and from the states in April next year. I did this trip a couple of years ago and was successfully able to upgrade with points from PE to business both ways - last time on the cross pacific flights. I found out about the flight home about 5 hours before the flight and going over around 20 hours. I have put in for the same this time.
With 'Bid Now' running, am I less likely to get a points upgrade? Has anyone gotten a 'bid now' opportunity if they have put in for a points upgrade? (I am silver).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.