Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Problem selecting seats on QF flight operated by AA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I hope this is in the right thread.

We have the following flights booked through Qantas:

Feb 6
DFW - LAX QF3070 (operated by AA2479)
LAX - MEL QF96
2 passengers, economy, no FF status with either airline

The QF website showed exit row seats available for the DFW - LAX flight so we selected them. Three days later the selection had disappeared and we were left with no seat allocation for that flight. I assume this is because AA holds these seats for priority passengers, even though this is not noted on the Qantas seat map for this flight?

I called AA, they can't allocate seats for me because it's a Qantas booking.

Earlier today I looked at the seat map for AA2479 on the AA website (which shows VERY different availability than the same flight on the Qantas website), found two seats that were open, and selected those through the Qantas website. As of 2 hours later, those seats are no longer available on the AA seat map and are still reserved under my Qantas booking.

Can I assume those seats are now ours? If not, how do I get a confirmed seat reservation for this flight?

Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would suggest phoning AA and getting the AA reservation number and then checking on the AA site
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:30 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
QF will charge serious $$$ for exit row seats on the flight. I'd be very surprised if AA pax could grab those unless there was some payment involved.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by og
QF will charge serious $$$ for exit row seats on the flight. I'd be very surprised if AA pax could grab those unless there was some payment involved.
Why? the flight in question (DFW-LAX) is an AA operated flight
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:59 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why? the flight in question (DFW-LAX) is an AA operated flight
Ahh, my mistake - I was reading the exit rows were on the QF flight rather than the AA flight. That's the problem with trying to read on a small screen iPhone ..
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: QFF

if you have the AA PNR, you can ask AA to set a seat.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Ring QF and ask for the AA record locator - that should allow you to pick seats directly on AA's site.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
yes, if you can get the AA PNR you should be able to access via the aa website.

note however that exit rows are definitely held for elites, i am not sure you can even pay for them (i've been an AA ExPlat since before they started charging/holding so i am unclear on the rules, sorry).

the reason for the issues could be due to the DISASTER aa.com has been the last 10-15days as they combine a lot of the US Air systems are fully integrated to aa.com--it has been very painful to book and manage travel. fyi.

i booked a flt that is a mix AA/QF and the AA agent could allocate my seats for QF so i dont know why a QF agent couldnt allocate seats on AA?

Last edited by VSLover; Jan 21, 2015 at 8:56 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
It seems to be a bit of a nightmare with the US airways merger. Have been unable to select seats on AA with either the AA PNR or with QF .
Unable to use eitherwebsite to select the Us Airways seat .
AA Plat help desk unable to help .
This is my first experience travelling US Airways , so far not so good.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:51 pm

If you are trying to select seats on US Airways, have you tried the US Airways site / phoning US Airways with the US Airways reference?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:30 am

Thks for the suggestion , but the US Airways site didn't accept the ticket numbers or booking number.

Fingers crossed.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by AshleyF
Thks for the suggestion , but the US Airways site didn't accept the ticket numbers or booking number.

Fingers crossed.
Do you have the Us Airways booking reference (which will be different to the Qantas one) ?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:17 am

Yup. Got it from the Plat desk .

Rang QF again and told they can't help . Don't really want to call US Airways , particularly without status, so at this stge I will just hope for the best.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by AshleyF
Yup. Got it from the Plat desk .

Rang QF again and told they can't help . Don't really want to call US Airways , particularly without status, so at this stge I will just hope for the best.
Try online at: Manage Booking | US Airways.com

If that fails, call [+61] 02 9101 1948 and when answered "American Airlines" ask for "US Arways".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.