Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Earning SCs on BA business flights to Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

This may be a stupid question, but there's a fare advertised for ~300 gbp in business class between GLA and Rome (return), which according to the QF points calculator will net 100 SCs (flying BA).

This seems like not a bad deal, at least compared with the # of miles I would get flying say AA and putting that towards an elite status change.

Am I missing something, or even worse, is this not as good a deal as I think? (I was looking to go to Rome anyway, so this isn't merely a mileage run thing, more trying to, as always, decide where best to put my miles).

Cheers,
-Z

EDIT: Because I suck at reading, I think it may actually be 100 SCs each way!

Last edited by Zylatis; Jan 21, 2015 at 3:40 am
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The miles earning would seem to be the same to AA , though if holding status will be able to earn more to AA

Given that business on BA from LON-FCO is the same seating as economy, I wouldn't call a Club Europe fare a good deal ( GLA-LON is economy only anyway )
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: QF WP, QF Lifetime Gold, SQ/*G, Velocity Rewards, IHG Rewards, Hilton Honours, Accor Le Club
I think the OP's question was really is 100 SC for 300 gbp good value irrespective of the quality of the seat/service.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:05 pm

Paying GBP to buy 100SCs would seem ludicrous to me

If planning to go to FCO, then would not pay that much for a CE service to FCO due to BA's business being little different to economy in the key area of seating
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:21 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by LifeTimeBronze
?.... is 100 SC for 300 gbp good value ......
It's much cheaper than other ways of accruing SCs. For example 5 x SYD-MEL return flights in discount economy would cost about $1500 minimum and yield 100 SCs. Comfort may be similar to BA's Club Euro flights ( better if you have row 4 in the 738 ). There's too many variables to give a definitive answer, but I'd go for it if a trip to Rome seemed like a good idea.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:17 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†

That is my way to secure Status in Europe. LHR-FCO is over 750 miles, so it yields 120 SC for the Return in Club Europe. GLA-LHR usually books as Business UK. So 80 SC for the Return. Total 200 SC for the roundtrip.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies chaps/chapettes. According to the BA website, GLA-LHR doesn't have business, but is booked as J class, and to Rome no such 'no class available' error occurs, and is I class. I tried to lookup to see what the quality of the business class to Rome would be, and it seemed to just be listed as Club Europe, which in principle could be nice but as you say different routes are different.

Just to clarify, the people who said the seating isn't really worth it, have you flown this specific route? (LHR-FCO)

Cheers!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:43 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Zylatis
Thanks for the replies chaps/chapettes. According to the BA website, GLA-LHR doesn't have business, but is booked as J class, and to Rome no such 'no class available' error occurs, and is I class. I tried to lookup to see what the quality of the business class to Rome would be, and it seemed to just be listed as Club Europe, which in principle could be nice but as you say different routes are different.

Just to clarify, the people who said the seating isn't really worth it, have you flown this specific route? (LHR-FCO)

Cheers!
UK Domestic flights don't have business class, but as J is a business class fare bucket you will earn SC's as if it is a J flight when credited to QFF.

LHR-FCO will be Club Europe which is a blocked middle seat (except on the 767) and a decent meal (depending on the time of day). BA has recently enhanced the legroom on shorthaul A320 series aircraft to be the same as economy. See the BA section for more information. Unless you really need the SC's then I would take an exit row in economy and save the money.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Zylatis

Cheers!
Yes, I have flown the London to Rome route . You are much better off with an exit row in economy than Club Europe with a much better value

In this SC collection idea, have you flown the the 4 necessary Qantas flights ? If not, then you may end upo with lots of SCs but no status anyway

For travel within Europe, you are probably much better off just looking for the cheapest flights on any carrier and just paying for things like exit rows to make it more comfortable
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Yeah I have the 4 segments, and actually, the Qantas calculator shows 100SCs each way, so 200 SCs for 300gbp seems like a reasonable deal, compared to stuff you can get in Aus anyway (even if the seats are crap).

Thanks guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.