Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD - MEL in J, A330-200 or 737-800?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Tend to agree for the relatively short flight (flew it yesterday and it was 1 hour exact) the 73H is a decent size in terms of being served, though you usually only have the CSM to serve you, whereas on the widebody you have 3 or so F/A's who can speed things up, but if you're in row 5 or something in J on the 30 seat cabin you can be hurried a bit to be sure.

I would pick a business suite a/c if I could be assured of it (obviously not even in April) because there's less seats and it's a nicer product, but for an hour you don't really need to recline into a flat bed or anything so the 73H is fine.

Enjoy your flight
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by stevejnr
Hi,

I am looking at booking an award flight on QF463 (A330-200) or QF479 (737-800) in business class.

Flights are only 15mins apart and both have availability - is there any real difference between the two?

Travel is at end of April and there will be 2 of us travelling together if that makes any difference.

Cheers in advance,
Steve
Some of the 737-800s are very old, while the A330-200s tend to be in better shape.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTS), VA nothing, DL Skymiles
Bear in mind (real French) Champagne won't be served on such a short sector - you'll be given a 200ml bottle of sparking (usually Australian methode champagnoise) if you request champers!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan | Avios
Originally Posted by fly747first
Some of the 737-800s are very old, while the A330-200s tend to be in better shape.
Exactly. Flew Row 2 BNE-CNS (>2 hours) on a very old 738. Service was nice but where I really got my value out of my points was with lounge access. Circumstances made me have to spend five hours waiting in the airport and I'm so glad I had lounge access for that segment.

If you time your flight out perfectly and spend less than an hour at 35,000ft, it doesn't matter what you fly because you'll be off and on the ground faster than you know it with maybe time for one drink (do you even get a meal?).
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Gary
Bear in mind (real French) Champagne won't be served on such a short sector - you'll be given a 200ml bottle of sparking (usually Australian methode champagnoise) if you request champers!
Yes. Currently yarra burns IIRC and it is.... well... no comment.

I'll never forget a few years ago on a domestic run asking the FA in J if "there was any Champagne loaded" and just my luck she was French (or at least had a strong accent!) and the look she gave (of pity mixed with disdain) was priceless when responding "No sir, no Champagne on this flight.. Only Australian Sparkling Wine" and I had to laugh with her it was priceless in a way that only a French person with some "right" to discuss Champagne can have in my view.

I stick to other drinks on domestic
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I believe it's a "Grant Burge" drop domestically - IMHO better then the Mumm they are serving in the LAX lounge.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by serfty
I believe it's a "Grant Burge" drop domestically - IMHO better then the Mumm they are serving in the LAX lounge.
It is and it is most pleasant.

It is no Krug... (Veuve, Taittinger for that matter) but it is one of our best local offerings!!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by stevejnr
I am looking at booking an award flight on QF463 (A330-200) or QF479 (737-800) in business class.

Flights are only 15mins apart and both have availability - is there any real difference between the two?
Every time I am in the SYD lounge I hear them calling MEL passengers on some flight that it's cancelled and they should go to the desk and get re-booked.

Same for Brisbane, flights may be scheduled every half hour but that doesn'tmean there's more than 1 flight per hour.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by moa999
Depends... If you can get one (well at present there is just one) of the refurbed A330-200s, then it is definitely better. As is a SkyBed I.
I'm also booking a SYD-MEL and have a choice between 737 and A330. I'd prefer the 737 timing but would take the A330 if it had the new cabin just for kicks. Is there any way to tell ahead of time which configuration is scheduled on a certain flight?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by Arcanum
I'm also booking a SYD-MEL and have a choice between 737 and A330. I'd prefer the 737 timing but would take the A330 if it had the new cabin just for kicks. Is there any way to tell ahead of time which configuration is scheduled on a certain flight?
The kicks are not worth the selection on such a short flight. Pick the time that suits and sit in the chair you get would be my advice.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by seat_4D
The kicks are not worth the selection on such a short flight. Pick the time that suits and sit in the chair you get would be my advice.
To each his own I suppose. I'm not Australian, so getting the chance to try the new product while I'm in the neighbourhood is worth it to me.

Getting back to my actual question, is there a way to check the configuration ahead of time?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Arcanum
To each his own I suppose. I'm not Australian, so getting the chance to try the new product while I'm in the neighbourhood is worth it to me.

Getting back to my actual question, is there a way to check the configuration ahead of time?
How far out are you trying to look?
EF will give the seating configuration loaded onto the system but with so few aircraft currently reconfigured I would not trust it until you step on the actual plane.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:44 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I'm personally not a fan of the QF 737-8.

The two that we tried in business were quite run down and worn for a newer generation aircraft.

I'd be scoping out the newer equipment if at all possible.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I'm personally not a fan of the QF 737-8.

The two that we tried in business were quite run down and worn for a newer generation aircraft..
QF has a range of 737-8s.

The earliest models (which were originally AAs order) were delivered shortly after 9/11 and Ansett's collapse - so these aircraft are nearing 14 year - took 15 aircraft in 2002 and another 20 odd over the next 4-5 years.
Qantas has announced a program to refurb these aircraft over the next couple of years.

Beginning 2009 Qantas ordered 738s with Panasonic IFE throughout, initially for the NZ sub, and then mainline and mainline now has almost 30 aircraft like this, the majority since late 2011 also featuring BSI

Unfortunately all have identical seatmaps so it is really luck of the draw what aircraft you get.

See some articles on
BSI - http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-debut...mestic-flights
Refurb - http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-boein...ss-q-streaming

For long term replacement Qantas is yet to announce whether it will add some 737MAX or take up some of the Qantas Group 320neo orders (Jetstar primarily uses 320s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.