OT: Ground transportation at PLO

Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Question OT: Ground transportation at PLO

Hi everyone,
Will be making a MR to PLO (Port Lincoln) and overnighting there.
I don't suppose that are public buses in PLO. Would there be taxis waiting at the airport there or do I have to try to track down some sort of airport shuttle service to pre-book transfers into and from town?
Thanks.
Gerald
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:55 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
This info is about 1 year old - but I expect its still valid: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTo...Australia.html

Renting a car may well be the easiest way to do things. I've done this at PLO - and its a good way to have a good look around the spectacular local area. There's some serious money tied up in the tuna fishing industry that's based at Port Lincoln.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
I flew into Port Lincoln last year and just after take off the cabin crew did announce that if you require a taxi they would organize one for you, I guess they just tell the taxi company that a certain number were required for the inbound flight.

Hiring a car would be easier.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:25 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
I flew into Port Lincoln last year and just after take off the cabin crew did announce that if you require a taxi they would organize one for you, I guess they just tell the taxi company that a certain number were required for the inbound flight.

Hiring a car would be easier.
The taxi ordering by the FA is SOP into many regional ports. It is risky however. There's no guarantee that the taxis will be "reserved" for the pax who ordered them. The drivers may not care - and just take whoever gets in. Last out may miss out. Been there
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by og
The taxi ordering by the FA is SOP into many regional ports. It is risky however. There's no guarantee that the taxis will be "reserved" for the pax who ordered them. The drivers may not care - and just take whoever gets in. Last out may miss out. Been there
This mirrors my 2 experiences with QF Link. I really appreciate they did this and I agree they just call up numbers but not names as the drivers just said "Get in." and did not ask for names.
As for cabjackers that has happened to me twice in NZ where the unwary did not book a taxi ahead, crew did not ask for people needing a cab as it was only the pilots, B1900D so no cabin crew. The tossers were insistent that it was was them while to cab driver asked for id to match the name of the person who ordered to cab, I phoned up before the flight
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Thanks everyone who have responded. Having been there and done that over the weekend, I can confirm that they ask for taxi orders on board. They also note your seat number and at the baggage claim at PLO, the taxi driver would also hold a sign up with the seat number.
In my case I found someone else on board to share the cab with me. It costs about AUD 32 for a one-way trip into town.
It was a nice weekend and one of the local pubs had a AUD 1 per oyster and AUD 5 pint Happy Hours!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.