Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Need 380 status credits on Qantas FF program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Smile Need 380 status credits on Qantas FF program

I need 380 status credits on my Qantas/ One World FF program to retain my Platinum status before the end of January 2015. Help please!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AussieRonaldo Welcome to the forum
380 SC is a lot when you need 1200? SC to maintain Plat
Where are you located?
Over what time can you fly for the SC?
There is a sticky thread on AFF for this question http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...flyer-program/

Have a look here on FT in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...ent-flyer-498/

There are better ffp's than QF in the OneWorld alliance

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 9, 2014 at 6:25 pm
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Where are you? How much are you willing to spend? How much time do you realist ally have.

If you want help, you need to provide more information.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk… I've moved your post to the dedicated qantas forum for further discussion and feedback. Good luck.

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Also ask yourself if you need to retain platinum badly enough - how much is it worth to you over the next year.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
a first from Aus to Europe will do it but do you really need it that badly for ~$10K
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
Fly QF to Shanghai or Beijing in Business.

SYD->HKG 120 (must be QF flight code)
HKG->PVG 60 (any code)

Return nets 360.
Then do another short domestic.

At the moment if you fly weekday could probably find roughly AUD$5000 fares.
Is it worth it because you will need to take time off to do it... plus Chinese Visa fees?

To me no it isn't.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:07 pm

Maybe consider an itinerary based around a SYD or BNE or MEL to AKL in first class on Emirates with a QF flight number.

You can even do two flights in one day either as a return or as getting, say, from MEL to BNE via AKL.

Thus a MEL-AKL-BNE inn first (240 credits) and thence back to MEL in business (60 credits) puts you in reach of the 380 depending where you start your journey.

Incidentally some of the cheapest business class fares on QF are on the BNE-CNS route due to intense competition with VA.

So a route such as MEL-AKL-BNE in first thence BNE-CNS-BNE in business and then BNE-MEL in economy (120+120+60+60+30 = 390).

Could probably be done in a couple of days: day 1 MEL-AKL-BNE, day 2 BNE-CNE-BNE-MEL thus only one night of accommodation in terms of opportunity cost.

Flight costs: $1200 + $1200 + $500 +$500 +$250 approximately $3650

Is it worth it?

Bear in mind for that money you could buy 150,000 Amex points transferable to 10 or so airlines many offering up to double the value in redemption rates compared with QF, or close to 200,000 (Avianca, or AA plus US) points in other FF programs, enough for an Australia to Europe in business class if not first class (AAdvantage rates).

Status or points or cash? Make your choice!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:21 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Still waiting for the OP to return and advise home base. I assume somewhere in Oz, but can't be sure of anything.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by redslert
Fly QF to Shanghai or Beijing in Business.

SYD->HKG 120 (must be QF flight code)
HKG->PVG 60 (any code)

Return nets 360.
Then do another short domestic.

At the moment if you fly weekday could probably find roughly AUD$5000 fares.
Is it worth it because you will need to take time off to do it... plus Chinese Visa fees?

To me no it isn't.
I did this for AUD 3800 recently but I did book in advance. Plus Approx AUD 100 for visa.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: QF WP
I would personally put it into the too much too late too expensive basket. I suppose you could consider getting yourself into regions where J/F tickets are cheap, but positioning to these places cheaply is an extremely challenging task at this time of the year.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AussieRonaldo Welcome to the forum
380 SC is a lot when you need 1200? SC to maintain Plat
Where are you located?
Over what time can you fly for the SC?
There is a sticky thread on AFF for this question http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...flyer-program/

Have a look here on FT in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...ent-flyer-498/

There are better ffp's than QF in the OneWorld alliance
Located in Canberra. Thanks for the advice, so far!! :-)
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I'd consider future flying plans over the next year-24 months. If you've only done ~800SC worth in nearly 11 months would you use the Plat benefits (over Gold) enough to justify the cost? Can you afford the time and budget to do it.

I agree that the easiest run would be to AKL in EK F (book asQF). they have a fairly consistent "sale" fare of $1200-$1300 from various cities. I also noted with a CBR tag it MAY be possible to include the extra 45 SC's at little extra cost. Why 45? booking a int F fare on QF with a domestic connection nets you a booking in domestic J class, which is "Business Flex" for the SC accural and gets a bit more.

I also noted this. ex-MEL QF offers a "F" fare to CHC that goes via SYD onto the EK 77W for ~$1250 o.w. a return for just over $2500 AUD can get you 330 SC's in a day. The same may be similar from CBR (but watch for the QF J product and timings may not work out so well). I would consider that the best bang for buck.

I also noted an ex-AKL J fare to MEL or SYD of NZD $649 I just snapped up, just over 600 AUD for 80 SC one way. note, booked one way ex-AKL, if booked as part of a r/t from AU point of sale, it was like AUD 749 for the same seat.

So, I would consider a CHC turn, or similar as advised.. but again if you think you could usee the benefit of Plat over Gold in the short-medium term.

good luck
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Richard! :-)
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:14 pm

Hey everyone,
Sorry to hijack the thread. My name is Dave, long time watcher, first time poster. I am sitting on 630 status credits and will feel like they have all been wasted if I can't make it to 700 and get Gold. I live in Melbourne.
Is there anything that you can recommend?
Thanks in advance
Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.