Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas further off the rails with Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas further off the rails with Asia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Possibly worth considering that QF practically discouraged bookings ex China for many years by not offering an on-line credit card payment facility.

Passengers wanting to book flights originating in China had to present themselves within two days at the Shanghai office to have their credit card sighted, before the ticket could be issued. There was no facility to buy the ticket and have the credit card sighted at the airport.

Almost ok if you were living in shanghai, but if you were in any city outside you would have been in for an inconvenient journey. So why bother?

They have recently changed their policy, but maybe it's too little too late.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Possibly worth considering that QF practically discouraged bookings ex China for many years by not offering an on-line credit card payment facility.

Passengers wanting to book flights originating in China had to present themselves within two days at the Shanghai office to have their credit card sighted, before the ticket could be issued. There was no facility to buy the ticket and have the credit card sighted at the airport.

Almost ok if you were living in shanghai, but if you were in any city outside you would have been in for an inconvenient journey. So why bother?

They have recently changed their policy, but maybe it's too little too late.
Yeah I agree that's one of the issues that limit their sales originating from China (IIRC I do believe Beijing also has an office to issue the ticket). Is the policy applicable to travel agencies issued ticket or Qantas website tickets only?

Cheers
Michael
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Isochronous
Also on the Chinese preference for Chinese airlines - look at how Finnair has managed to build profitable services into China. That should be a blueprint for QF.
There is a slight difference (as in 300m people) between QF and AY. One suspects Finnair wouldn't offer so many Chinese destinations if its only proximous oncarriage destination beyond Scandinavia was a country with 4.5m people.

Maybe QF could expand both China and South America and become a hub for travel between the two continents, but that would require significant investment, and be quite risky, probably something already suffering shareholders do not have an appetite for.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eamond
Yeah I agree that's one of the issues that limit their sales originating from China (IIRC I do believe Beijing also has an office to issue the ticket). Is the policy applicable to travel agencies issued ticket or Qantas website tickets only?

Cheers
Michael
only applied to the Qantas website. You could use expedia (etc) to purchase the same ticket.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by Lucky_man
MU joinging OneWorld would suit me greatly. At the moment I often fly QF to HKG then CX/KA to China to maximise SC.

Picking up SC's for all my China internal flying would be great - and lounge access etc.

That is a quite different proposition to what is on the table.
I agree (except I am unable to get to HKG with QF...). At the moment a typical Chinese trip for me sees 2-3 segments where I can earn points but not credits (such as MU PVG-CGO) or neither.

Lounge access in regional China I can do without, slow WIFI no food no drink, no point!. In fact many regional airports such as CGO and TSN have cafes offering cheaper food and free WIFI.

In all though this seems to continue the QF strategy of trying to leverage their customer loyalty to another airline for the income stream without doing any of the heavy lifting. That is all well and good but that is the strategy then keep the carrot of points and credits available to make the fliers at least look at it.

I am going to take a CX flight with even a discounted earn over an MU flight with no earn any day.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:01 pm

only applied to the Qantas website. You could use expedia (etc) to purchase the same ticket.
Thanks for that.

Originally Posted by lokijuh
There is a slight difference (as in 300m people) between QF and AY. One suspects Finnair wouldn't offer so many Chinese destinations if its only proximous oncarriage destination beyond Scandinavia was a country with 4.5m people.

Maybe QF could expand both China and South America and become a hub for travel between the two continents, but that would require significant investment, and be quite risky, probably something already suffering shareholders do not have an appetite for.
You also got regulatory issues (transit visa in Australia for Chinese citizens even if you're not leaving the airport), while QF doesn't have right-sized equipment (A332 couldn't do South America, and 74's are too big for most of the market)

Cheers
Michael
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by eamond
You also got regulatory issues (transit visa in Australia for Chinese citizens even if you're not leaving the airport), while QF doesn't have right-sized equipment (A332 couldn't do South America, and 74's are too big for most of the market)
Yes, investment in equipment, routes and ports would be needed = huge risk. Which leaves only NZ, Vic/Tas, SA, regional NSW & SE Qld to connect pax too .... a bit different to Finnair who can get people to/from Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain and various smaller countries.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

They used to do this in Manila too, infact last time I checked about a year ago they still had this requirement and maybe they do even today.

So, that time when Qantas required a trip to their Manila office (which if you know Manila traffic is a full day event) to sight a credit card and issue a ticket and Philippine Airlines didn't require a trip to any office to sight any credit card and would just issue the ticket straight away from online credit card details..... guess which airline got the business?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by creampuff
They used to do this in Manila too, infact last time I checked about a year ago they still had this requirement and maybe they do even today.

So, that time when Qantas required a trip to their Manila office (which if you know Manila traffic is a full day event) to sight a credit card and issue a ticket and Philippine Airlines didn't require a trip to any office to sight any credit card and would just issue the ticket straight away from online credit card details..... guess which airline got the business?
About 5 years ago, I bought a BKK-SYD-MEL ticket as an add-on to a LHR-BKK redemption. Hit the same "snag" in that the booking screen insisted I needed to present the CC inorder to validate the booking.

I called QF in Oz and was able to get them to ticket for the same price as if I'd purchased in Thailand .... probably been "enhanced away" since ...

Regards,

BD
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by moa999
Agree that developing a new route is a long game, but if a route isn't delivering and is losing money, and isn't looking like generating money, then you have to drop it.

Partnering with CX has often been seen as a saviour for QF, but given CX flies to pretty much every Australian city, it has told QF no chance.

The MU partnership potentially opens up PEK routes again if QF can get an MU codeshare on it (as I understand MU is prevented from flying this route via the Chinese no-competition policy) -- that said with no new longhaul aircraft on order by QF this is unlikely to happen in the short term unless other routes are dropped.
I think QF setting up Jetstar HK (or trying to) was the issue with partnering with CX... And as you point out, CX doesn't need to partner with QF.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by peasant
I think QF setting up Jetstar HK (or trying to) was the issue with partnering with CX... And as you point out, CX doesn't need to partner with QF.
I also don't think QF can practically develope a deeper relationship with CX anyway than current level, especially in Aus-HK market... This would create a duopoly and will very likely be shot down by ACCC....

Just my 1c.

Cheers
Michael
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by seat_4D
I am going to take a CX flight with even a discounted earn over an MU flight with no earn any day.
I'd take a CX (or QF) flight with no earn over any mainland Chinese carrier even with earn!
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by creampuff
I'd take a CX (or QF) flight with no earn over any mainland Chinese carrier even with earn!
Depends on the class of service. In biz class there's not much of a difference between the chinese carriers and the likes of CX. All offer full flat beds. CX has the advantage on IFE, but you've got a lot of extra time with the stop in HKG.

As a direct comparison - for flights to China CA wins with their A332s over CX or QF. That may change on flights to PVG once QF introduces their new business class offering - but that won't be until 2015 sometime.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
I did Air China business long haul a couple of months ago, not quite up to CX standards but still perfectly acceptable. The bed was fine and much better than a Skyslope.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
For a day flight the mainland airlines makes little difference when comparing against CX.
The major difference comes with the fully flat bed and direct aisle access that CX offers when it comes to night time flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.