Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Domestic - Pets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Qantas Domestic - Pets

Does anyone have experience of the costs/logistics involved in flying a cat domestically from Sydney to Adelaide?!? Qantas website has various confusing /conflicting documents/webpages!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by rossco2810
Does anyone have experience of the costs/logistics involved in flying a cat domestically from Sydney to Adelaide?!? Qantas website has various confusing /conflicting documents/webpages!
What do you find confusing? There are different procedures depending on whether you are on the same flight ('accompanied') or not ('unaccompanied', i.e. freight). The cost for freight is in the $150-200 type of range with Virgin (assuming own crate), in case that gives a data point.

If you are struggling with the logistics, you may wish to hire someone like Dogtainers to do it for you, http://www.dogtainers.com.au/cat-transportation. I've used them before and was satisfied.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:34 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Here's another one ( haven't used them, just aware of their existence )

http://www.adelar.com.au/skypet_domestic_travel.html
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:49 am
Original Poster

I think some of the confusion has been clarified today - there's a new notice on the website stating from 1st Dec 2014 all pets must go as freight & cant be used instead of baggage allowance.

I have emailed them for an estimate as there is now no indication of cost at all.

Virgin seem a bit clearer & charge $55 for small pets. Although it also says you have to phone to book your flight tickets so even tho "internet discounts will be honoured" I daresay there will be a call centre fee or such like? Or have I been flying with BA too long? lol
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:13 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Just get the cat a coat with the words "Service Animal" and carry it into the cabin. Find a doctor to write a letter saying you have a medical issue and need the cat for emotional support. Works in the USA.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
oh og, don't push my buttons on that issue.... I mean people have had miniature horses, huge dogs and pigs as "emotional support" animals in cabins... fair dinkum!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jridge
What do you find confusing? There are different procedures depending on whether you are on the same flight ('accompanied') or not ('unaccompanied', i.e. freight). The cost for freight is in the $150-200 type of range with Virgin (assuming own crate), in case that gives a data point.

If you are struggling with the logistics, you may wish to hire someone like Dogtainers to do it for you, http://www.dogtainers.com.au/cat-transportation. I've used them before and was satisfied.
Can you give an idea of Dogtainer's handling charges? I will need to fly my dog from SYD/MEL to BNE in the winter and wondering whether it's cheaper to fly down myself (maybe on Avios) or pay Dogtainers to get the dog from Quarantine to QF Freight.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:43 pm

I have flown my (10 kg) dog on QF a number of times between BNE and CNS. The cost for the dog to travel alone was very expensive, so I have generally opted to fly on the same flight where feasible: the difference in cost easily offset the airfare...
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by expatboy
Can you give an idea of Dogtainer's handling charges? I will need to fly my dog from SYD/MEL to BNE in the winter and wondering whether it's cheaper to fly down myself (maybe on Avios) or pay Dogtainers to get the dog from Quarantine to QF Freight.
It is generally better to get them to give you an all-inclusive quote. I paid $361 including Virgin's freight charge for TWO 12kg dogs to be picked up at Spotswood and put onto the plane for MEL-HBA. I'm sure this doesn't scale linearly if you have one dog, but maybe a data point.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA
Thanks jridge & Platy - that gives me a reasonable idea of the costs involved - our dog is similar weight.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by expatboy
Thanks jridge & Platy - that gives me a reasonable idea of the costs involved - our dog is similar weight.
From memory and prices may have changed: around $40-$50 if animal on same flight, but >$300 if travel alone.

Drop off and pick up may be at Australian Air Express depending upon the airport.

QF booking will give you the phone number of the local drop off office to arrange the booking - they may email you a form to fill in and bring with the pet upon drop off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.