Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feels like home...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:41 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Then again I haven't since a Qantas TVC in Hong Kong since first iteration of Still Call Australia Home first choral implementation.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sxc
Agree that's probably the reason but then they shouldn't have used that music or cleared the rights.
But for some reason it appears that the SMH doesn't have this problem, and the Daily Mail in the UK doesn't have this problem.

So it seems odd that it should be Qantas which has this problem, but I know I may be missing something about licensing which has this effect.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But for some reason it appears that the SMH doesn't have this problem, and the Daily Mail in the UK doesn't have this problem.

So it seems odd that it should be Qantas which has this problem, but I know I may be missing something about licensing which has this effect.
Newspaper websites are known to rip videos from youtube and upload them to their own servers without having the rights to do so. By the time the rights holders complain about it, the news is in the past and they no longer need the video anyway.

Feeling "at home" is the last thing I want when I get on a plane. I hate it at home.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
The ad comes across to me as dated in approach, cloying, mawkish and sentimental. I guess market research has told Qantas that it will work with some people and I am sure it has cost them a pretty penny so good luck to them. As for me, as others have said here, it is about hard and soft product, price and schedule. I no longer have blind loyalty to airlines, banks, or any other business which seeks my dollars.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by m0hamed
This is quite dramatic. It's just an advertisement.
I agree with your comment there.
I also think that the advert was deliberately designed for the Australian market, hence the licensing restrictions, so the message is can be considered appropriate.
For its international market....well I wonder what QF is going to do here because IMO that ad is not going to work. I did not get emotional, I do understand the message, heck I still get the good chills when I see or hear ISCAH and associate that with QF.
As I have said on other threads, I only feel good when I get the "Welcome back." message from the Jetconnect crew, I seem to know lots of them now, and I feel that I will be looked after, and also some of the First Lounge staff. That is a major reason I choose to fly QF on my most common sector WLG-SYD and therefore the "Feels like home..." message resounds with me as I am "Coming home" on both sectors....
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Why consider irrelevant the views of FTers based outside Australia (many of whom have QFF status and all of whom have at least some interest in Qantas and some fly Qantas a lot)?
Because the business of QFF nowadays is based around selling points to as many Australian third parties (like banks, travel money cards, supermarkets, phone companies etc) as they can, and mining the database of Australian QFF members to increase the dollars they can get from those third parties.

Rewarding flying is almost secondary, and certainly anyone based overseas who credits flights to QFF will be.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
This ad resonates - quite strongly actually - with how I felt as a young expat living in Asia and the UK in the 90s. Maybe I'm just jaded now but I rarely feel that sense that "home" begins at the door of the plane these days (or maybe I don't need to feel that way now).
I wouldn't say jaded, but a lot has changed since the 90s, that brings "home" much closer than it ever was. Although I am currently living outside Australia as an expat, maybe that I am in Singapore mitigates a lot of the factors that make people feel they are away from home (due to proximity relative to just about anywhere else in the world, and large number of Australians here), but in some ways I feel closer to "home" (being Melbourne/regional Victoria) than I did living in Sydney in the mid 90s.

Skype/face time, instant messaging, email, even just mobile phones all bring home much closer. I remember back then I still wrote letters, and if you weren't home (or in the office) nobody could call you. And airfares - back in 1994 the cheapest you could typically get SYD-MEL return for was $239, which according to RBA is worth about $400 today. BY comparison a few weeks ago I purchased SIN-MEL return for about $420 AUD.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by lokijuh
BY comparison a few weeks ago I purchased SIN-MEL return for about $420 AUD.
I'll bet that wasn't flying QF though
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by pandaperth
I'll bet that wasn't flying QF though
It wasn't (the carrier I bought with is struggling this year, so is heavily discounting), but QF usually is in the ballpark for fares (~$650 AUD) , but certainly is not appealing in terms of timing of MEL-SIN (due to departure early in the day, means less time with family). However, I have travelled on QF codes on EK metal (and outbound from SIN, where timing is similar, still prefer QF code on EK metal for several reasons, that the "feels like home" sentiment is not enough to outweigh).
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
Because the business of QFF nowadays is based around selling points to as many Australian third parties (like banks, travel money cards, supermarkets, phone companies etc) as they can, and mining the database of Australian QFF members to increase the dollars they can get from those third parties.

Rewarding flying is almost secondary, and certainly anyone based overseas who credits flights to QFF will be.
That may be true for the frequent flyer program, but without a viable airline there isn't much point.

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the intention of the ad is to get people flying Qantas more - not to get them spending more at say Woolies.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
That may be true for the frequent flyer program, but without a viable airline there isn't much point.

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the intention of the ad is to get people flying Qantas more - not to get them spending more at say Woolies.
Despite the fact it looks like something that came out of AWARD School (albeit well produced!), it's an ad made for an Australian audience. While I think it misses the mark, I don't see what the problem is with running a targeted campaign?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bensyd
... I don't see what the problem is with running a targeted campaign?
For myself, I don't think there is a problem with a targeted campaign, as such.

My concern is that we hardly ever see anything else from QF - whether in the form of advertising campaigns, promotions, or other marketing activity. If it's targeted, it's targeted at Australians. And this seems to me to reflect an internal QF mindset. I'd love to be proven wrong.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Quote:

Originally Posted by bensyd

... I don't see what the problem is with running a targeted campaign?

For myself, I don't think there is a problem with a targeted campaign, as such.

My concern is that we hardly ever see anything else from QF - whether in the form of advertising campaigns, promotions, or other marketing activity. If it's targeted, it's targeted at Australians. And this seems to me to reflect an internal QF mindset. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Haven't we seen Qantas bring out Oprah and Modern Family in the last fee years? Two campaigns aimed squarely at the US market...
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I find such things as that quite bizarre; how many people are going to go "oh, i'll fly on this airline because some actors did"

Maybe it works, but seems quite strange to me; I can see that if done right it may encourage tourism to Australia, but cannot see why it would benefit the airline per se
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by theassassin
Haven't we seen Qantas bring out Oprah and Modern Family in the last fee years? Two campaigns aimed squarely at the US market...
And they seem to have semi-regular sales from North America too. There's one on right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.