Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Free upgrade? how often do u get one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

I have been with QFFF for more than a decade, I have been flying QF quite a lot, but I have NEVER been upgraded by QF flight at all.

But in the past, I have been upgraded by AY once as my Sapphire status.

Recently, I have seen someone who is AA member and reached Emerald, he only pay for Y class and always get upgraded for free (unless business / first cabin is full)

Would anyone able to share some experience that how would it be possible to get a free upgrade with QF, or with EK on QF flight number?

Would it be needed to ask the check-in staff "NICELY" to request for an free upgrade? Would it be better chance for Platinum member?

Thanks you
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
2 comments.

1. You say your "AA friend" pays for Y an dgets upgraded.. Are you talking on QF flights, or on AA flights? if on AA do you mean domestic US where their upgrade policy provides for it (IIRC)? these are all very different scenarios

2. QF will not usually provide "free" upgrades to anyone except in cases of overbookings, and then it will be by status. A OWS member (QF Gold) is down the totem pole a bit from CL's, Plat 1's, Platinums, OWE... so it would be a low expectation IMHO.

QF is a business, and they hold more than US carriers the idea that a premium cabin is to be paid for to get into - via $$$ or points. That's how they make their money.

Personally I've received 1 free upgrade in my time on QF and that was for a domestic SYD-MEL flight I had had a points upg request in for (I just didn't care either way) but it had not cleared, I asked at the lounge just as an aside as I was tired and the bigger seat on the 767 would have been comfy, and the agent was friendly and said sure, and no charge for you as a Plat 1. Nice.. not expected.

Yes, some other airlines are more generous. In the distant past I was upgraded by SAS and Thai as a Star Silver (ie: nobody) member - long ago - and totally unexpected but nice. I suspect overselling in both cases and easier sometimes to push up a single.

I never expect it myself.

as for EK upgrading on an EK flight with a QF code? seems more unlikely than if it was bought as an EK flight from EK as technically the ticket would be a QF ticket rather than EK but once a flight by any airline is under airport control it's really up to the agents running the flight imho.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: QFF WP
In 10 years as a WP/SG flyer I have totalled 2 "free" upgrades:

1) Darwin to Adelaide early this year where my seat 4D went to a young lady on crutches who clearly needed the legroom

2) Y - PE on CX in March this year where J and Y were both oversold, yet PE only had 4 seats sold. I was happy to head up, the guy I sat next to who was bumped from J was a little less enthused

That is all. I am inclined to believe that I will always sit in the seat I have paid for and the "free" upgrades are like unicorns and fairies - a figment of the imagination
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:04 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Expecting or even hoping for the free upgrade is 99% sure to lead to disappointment and/or outrage. The check-in staff get this request all the time.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I have a 100% success rate at never having been upgraded.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Never on QF metal.

Was upgraded once on EK (EK ticketed) from J to F (was flying with a VIP, though); and once as a Qantas Gold on a CX flight (from Y to PE on a HKG-SGN flight).
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by ufoken
Would anyone able to share some experience that how would it be possible to get a free upgrade with QF, or with EK on QF flight number?
Originally Posted by og
Expecting or even hoping for the free upgrade is 99% sure to lead to disappointment and/or outrage. The check-in staff get this request all the time.
Og is right - there are no "secret tips" to "get" a free upgrade, you just have to be grateful for the rare occasions.

20 years ago when there was more competition on domestic routes and I worked for a company which did a lot of (domestic and int'l) travel, I got upgraded on short domestic routes with some regularity - maybe once every 3 or 4 flights. My company had a contract with Qantas and I assumed it was to maintain a good impression with employees. But those days are long gone; it's been much more than 10 years since I had a free domestic upgrade.

However, out of four flights between SYD and NRT in recent years, I've had two free upgrades (as QF Silver) and on one of the other two I had a successful points upgrade. Nothing - even points upgrades - on any other int'l flight. So probably some routes are more likely than others.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:10 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
In almost half a million miles flown on Qantas I have never been upgraded without the required supporting instrument (eg points).
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
My husband and I had it happen once, MEL-LHR from memory - from Y to J, some years ago. QF WP (me) and QF PG (my husband).

I was also seat-shifted on board from Y exit row to J to accommodate an exceptionally tall gentleman. This was also some years ago. I felt incredibly lucky.

That's all I can think of.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ufoken
Would it be needed to ask the check-in staff "NICELY" to request for an free upgrade?
Why do you think that asking the check-in staff at all is likely to produce any results? Do you think that all of the other passengers on the flight are too stupid to even think of asking? Or of declaring that they're having their birthday today, which happens to be the day that they're going on honeymoon? (As evidenced by the bits of confetti that drop out of their passports?)
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:03 pm

Never unless I've used points. SG.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I was also seat-shifted on board from Y exit row to J to accommodate an exceptionally tall gentleman. This was also some years ago. I felt incredibly lucky.
Mirrors my experience in DRW. The young girl obviously cant take an exit row on crutches so they needed a chair with more space, I can only assume the other 5 people in row 4 either weren't WP, or my fare was higher as I cant think of any other reason I would have been upgraded. Form memory there were 3 spare J seats, a look through the curtain saw a smattering of empty middle seats
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
20 years ago when there was more competition on domestic routes and I worked for a company which did a lot of (domestic and int'l) travel, I got upgraded on short domestic routes with some regularity - maybe once every 3 or 4 flights.
One of the things I missed about Ansett was never buying a J fare and rarely flying Y. That is also probably why we cant fly Ansett anymore!!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Qantas would rather leave you at the airport than upgrade you if you're not paying a fistful of dollars or points.

The only Y->J upgrade I've ever had in 20 years on QF was thanks to a late inbound JFK-LAX meaning I missed a LAX-BNE connection, and was routed LAX-SYD-BNE in J. I was a Platinum at the time.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:43 pm

Once. LAX-BNE

Had already boarded and taken our seats in Economy. Tall friend asked the flight attendant if he would mind if he moved to the empty row a couple of rows back for some more leg room/extra space. Flight attendant happy for this, tall friend moved.

A few minutes later the flight attendant came back saying there was some spare seats in PE and would we all (4 of us) like to move there for some extra space.

PE appeared to be completely empty and there was only around 100 people on the plane.

They continued to move people up into PE (still got the normal economy meal/service) until PE was full and then I'm guessing spread people around back in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.