Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Free upgrade? how often do u get one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free upgrade? how often do u get one?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
I think I've had 3 in 12 years of being Platinum and 2 years of being Platinum One. Two were while I was Platinum, and 1 has been since becoming Platinum One.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: LifeQP LTS, Avis
My ratio was about 1 upgrade every 50 flights.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Interestingly was just contacted by a (fairly new) WP friend of mine with yips of delight at being given a comp upg to J on MEL-ADL.. I suspect overbooking or other issues due to disruptions today at MEL from the storms this morning. Still seemed appropriate to note it here.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:10 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I've had a handful over the years. I recall SYD-LAX-SYD within a month after 9/11 from Y to J and actually being thanked for flying QF in those hard times. I have had a couple of domestic upgrades in school holidays probably because of overbooking. For the international ones I was Gold and then Platinum for the domestic upgrades.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:39 pm

My employer, some of you may know him, has regularly received complimentary upgrades with Qantas over the last two years. These are typically on international flights and usually from Australia rather than to Australia.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:53 pm

6 months after attaining QF WP I got 4 upgrades from PE to J on SIN sectors all in succession. True, I did buy Flexi PE

I find it best not to expect an upgrade, otherwise the entire flight will 'feel like' an 'utter disappointment'. The bump up is meant to be a bonus and one shouldn't expect more from the CoS they booked.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: QF Gold, ANZ Silver
Smile

I have received 3 or 4 complimentary domestic upgrades over the last few years, mostly between ASP and ADL. I occasionally buy upgrades with points, and always request upgrades with points on international routes, where I usually buy Y+ and get J. Once, coming home from JNB I had paid for Y+, requested J, which I got at check-in, then at the gate was given the free upgrade to F. but F has of course been taken out of the 744
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Lifetime silver on QF, don't remember ever being offered a free upgrade.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
In 2000 I booked 4Y SYD-LHR via an online travel agent and all were confirmed until 1 ticket moved to "on request". The agent couldn't explain but a call to QF (I was real Silver, at the time having travelled RTW too many times in the late 90's) brought the result that everything would be fine. On arrival at the airport there was still some confusion about check-in and seat allocation. I was more than a bit worried as some extensive travel bookings had been made in Europe. All was well when 4J BP's were handed over and accepted with grateful thanks to QF.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
I've been WP last 6 years. I have had 3 international and 1 domestic. Interestingly two of the internationals were on an RJ ticket traveling SYD-BEY-SYD via AMM / HKG. Was upgraded to F on the QF SYD-HKG-SYD sectors!

More recently in June from J to F DXB-LHR.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Platinum
I have only been upgraded once on QF which was from SYD to CNS with my wife and that was after I had requested a points upgrade - all the better to not have to pay for it. When living in London between 2002 and 2008 we got upgraded quite a few times on BA despite the both of us never being more than QF Gold. Once from LHR-BOM from Y to J, JFK-LHR from Y to J and LHR-LAX from Y to PE all spring to mind and I think there were 1 or 2 other long hauls in there too.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
I've had 10 op-ups as a QF WP this calendar year so far, with the following breakdown:

AA - 4 (all domestic)
BA - 2 (all int'l)
CX - 2
EK - 1
QF - 1 (int'l)
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was upgraded on WLG-SYD the Monday after the QF closedown. I think it was a gesture to spread love to their premium card customers.
Once LAX-AKL - no clue why - we reached the cruise level and the stewardess mentioned to me she had a better seat for me. Fantastic surprise on such a long flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.