Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Planning trip to MEL - Is PE on Qantas the best of the PE products?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Planning trip to MEL - Is PE on Qantas the best of the PE products?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
If you don't mind the extra time and the stop over BA's PE meals are from Club World, at least the main course is, and the seat looks decent. Not tried it personally but as others have pointed out, sometimes the break in the journey is welcome if you're not in J or F.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What is the typical upcharge for a good premium economy product? (e.g., something like a 40"x21" seat and perhaps marginally better inflight service, not just UA/DL E+)

For $200-300 each way, I'd probably do it. For $400-500 each way, I'd start figuring out if I had the miles or other method to get to a proper J seat.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jridge
"Best" in what context? If you're looking for the best on nonstop routes from LAX to MEL (i.e. the best choice between UA and QF), then yes. If you'd consider going via HKG on CX, then maybe not.
For me, 'best' means best comfort — generous pitch, comfortable seat, better meals than economy's, snacks available during flight, better than average IFE. I know I can't fly directly from JFK but I was thinking LAX to MEL nonstop. I am open to going via Europe or Hong Kong if there aren't too many hours added on to it.

I've sat in Economy Comfort on Delta on flights to LHR, AMS, and FRA on 767-400s. I want something more comfortable for such a huge haul to/from MEL. Maybe Delta's Economy Comfort on a 777? But aren't the food and IFE the same? I've never flown United's E+ but the reviews seem to be similar to Delta's EC.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
JFK-MEL via LAX 22 hrs 50
JFK-MEL via HKG 27 hrs 10
JFK-MEL via LHR 32 hours ( BA to LHR and QF to MEL )
JFK-MEL via LHR and SYD 35 hours ( BA to LHR and SYD and QF to MEL )
This is very helpful, thank you. Maybe going through LHR isn't worth it. 10 more hours? I don't know.

Originally Posted by pinniped
What is the typical upcharge for a good premium economy product? (e.g., something like a 40"x21" seat and perhaps marginally better inflight service, not just UA/DL E+)
I'd like to know this too. From what I'm seeing for flights 3 months in advance, if I can't get the the big "sale" price, the cost difference can be over $500 easily each way at least on Qantas.

Originally Posted by Shamrock55
This guy wrote a way better trip report then I did and it features the A380 too...
Thank you! This was thorough including the pictures. I wonder how much the experiences on the A380, 747 (new config) and 787 vary. Which is the nicest/most comfortable PE aircraft?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Analise
For me, 'best' means best comfort — generous pitch, comfortable seat, better meals than economy's, snacks available during flight, better than average IFE. I know I can't fly directly from JFK but I was thinking LAX to MEL nonstop. I am open to going via Europe or Hong Kong if there aren't too many hours added on to it.
As far as I know, all airlines offer the same IFE in all classes on their aircraft. A dedicated premium economy cabin (larger seats, more legroom, curtained-off seating) will have a larger screen and possibly a better headset. A 'premium' economy which is just more legroom (main cabin extra or economy comfort) will have the same screen as regular economy.

Better meals will generally be available in dedicated premium economy cabins. Qantas offers what many consider to be a 'business lite' product - same service and product as you might have expected in business class about 15 years ago before they started to go to the angled bed product.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
A 'premium' economy which is just more legroom (main cabin extra or economy comfort)
I always hesitate to give credit to the UA/AA/DL offerings as even Premium Economy, considering some airlines around the world use that specific term to mean a much better experience. (I honestly don't see "dedicated" used much, although I get what you mean...)

I don't know what to generically call UA/AA/DL. I probably default to "E+" since United established it first and the other two are basically the same thing.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:59 pm

Would avoid the CX via AKL option, they use an old A340 between HKG-AKL and its pretty dated inside. I was on it a few weeks ago.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
This is very helpful, thank you. Maybe going through LHR isn't worth it. 10 more hours?
I think you'd have to be out of your mind to want to go that way and add 10 hours to an already exhausting trip. Not only that but you also lose almost another day of your holiday by going the long way.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:23 pm

Indeed. Unless actually wanting to visit London or Dubai for a stopover, going via London would be mad ; I would only go via Hong Kong if desiring a stopover there ( or if there was a decent price saving )
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Indeed. Unless actually wanting to visit London or Dubai for a stopover, going via London would be mad ; I would only go via Hong Kong if desiring a stopover there ( or if there was a decent price saving )
The main reason I like to break a trip is I can not sleep on planes. If I could tolerate a direct flight, and as I said take an exit row I wouldn't bother with PE, but in the absence of either I would take PE in some form.

I have been known to stop over in ADL on my way to BNE to break the trip up such is my loathing for long stints in a Y cabin!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Hong Kong would add about an extra 5 hours. The cost of PE is significantly less on CX, however, than Qantas. At least it is today.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hong Kong would add about an extra 5 hours. The cost of PE is significantly less on CX, however, than Qantas. At least it is today.
Can you give us the ball park of the fare difference? That might help with the advice.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:19 pm

remember though that 5 hours seems a long time when stuck in an aeroplane
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:55 am

Is the extra 5 hours in the air or is more due to a long-ish layover in HKG? Do these particular five hours change your plans in Australia? (In other words, I might be pickier about a noon vs. 5PM arrival than I was about a 6AM vs. 11AM arrival. Would depend on my ground travels and other plans for the first day...)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:06 pm

Is the extra 5 hours in the air or is more due to a long-ish layover in HKG? Do these particular five hours change your plans in Australia? (In other words, I might be pickier about a noon vs. 5PM arrival than I was about a 6AM vs. 11AM arrival. Would depend on my ground travels and other plans for the first day...)

Via HKG : Depart JFK 14:50 arrive HKG 18:50 , depart 20:30 arrive MEL 09:00
Via LAX : Depart JFK 18:45 arrive LAX 21:40 , depart 22:50 arrive MEL 08:35
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Can you give us the ball park of the fare difference? That might help with the advice.
$1748 per person.

Interesting about the timing. Even though the CX trip is 4 hours longer, we would arrive the night before on CX vs arriving 6am the next morning on Qantas. The time changing planes is about the same in both directions. We would also arrive back at JFK within 10 minutes of each other. So the extra time is essentially spent in the air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.