Wiki Posts
Search

PE 747 vs A380 to LAX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

PE 747 vs A380 to LAX

Flying from WLG-SYD-LAX-ORD soon.

Flight from Welly gets me to Sydney around 9am, then have choice of either waiting unitl 1155 for QF107, a 747 or QF11, an A380. But QF11 isnt until 15:00 so means an extra 3 hours to wait around...

Will be a premium economy ticket. As its thanksgiving I'm hoping either flight will be fairly empty so I can use points to upgrade to J, is it a no brainer to wait around for the A380 and its nicer equipment? or should I just get on the 747...

I can always pop into Sydney for a few hours in the train to waste time if it means a nicer 20 hour jaunt to LAX/ORD.

What would you guys do?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Shamrock55
Flying from WLG-SYD-LAX-ORD soon.

Flight from Welly gets me to Sydney around 9am, then have choice of either waiting unitl 1155 for QF107, a 747 or QF11, an A380. But QF11 isnt until 15:00 so means an extra 3 hours to wait around...

Will be a premium economy ticket. As its thanksgiving I'm hoping either flight will be fairly empty so I can use points to upgrade to J, is it a no brainer to wait around for the A380 and its nicer equipment? or should I just get on the 747...

I can always pop into Sydney for a few hours in the train to waste time if it means a nicer 20 hour jaunt to LAX/ORD.

What would you guys do?
if you upgrade, there's a chance (albeit small) of getting a middle seat on the 747. if it's a truly empty day and you get an upstairs 747 seat those are quite peaceful. on the A380 you might get a seat where galley noise is at issue but overall it's hard to go wrong.

if you don't get the upgrade, the seats are pretty much the same, but the window seats on the A380 have the side bins so a welcome bit of extra space. the PE cabin seems a bit more peaceful on the A380 as well.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
The seats and service will be identical across the QF A380 and refurbed 747s (which you are pretty much guaranteed on this route).

As noted the A380 PE window seats have the benefit of the side bins, and some find the A380 a bit quieter.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Wiol this route be full leaving sydney on the 27th Nov for thanksgiving? or would most Americans prefer not to travel on the day before?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Shamrock55
Wiol this route be full leaving sydney on the 27th Nov for thanksgiving? or would most Americans prefer not to travel on the day before?
November 27th is Thanksgiving Day.
Far better to travel that day than the day before, or the Saturday/Sunday after. Day before Thanksgiving is the busiest travel day of the year in the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.