Search

Qantas Cash and 'tiering up'

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFFF Platinum, SQ Krisflyer
Qantas Cash and 'tiering up'

Hi All,

In december I will gain QF Silver (Finally get 4 QF segments) and then in March 2015 I will get QF Gold, what happens to your Qantas Cash card. Do you have to go through the reactivation phase each time? And does your current balance transfer over?

Thanks,
calmelb
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:14 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by calmelb
Hi All,

In december I will gain QF Silver (Finally get 4 QF segments) and then in March 2015 I will get QF Gold, what happens to your Qantas Cash card. Do you have to go through the reactivation phase each time? And does your current balance transfer over?

Thanks,
calmelb
Welcome to FT and the QF forum, calmelb!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by calmelb
Hi All,

Thanks,
calmelb
Unless they have fixed the problem recently, changing status means a new card is issued and the old card is cancelled. If you are overseas this can lead to major problems.

Otherwise the rest of the process I think goes smoothly... everything transfers over.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: QF CL
I changed status last month and everything transferred without a hitch after I activated my new card. Interestingly I noticed the expiry date on the back of the card (ie the MasterCard facility) was three months later than the expiry date on the front of of the Qantas card . I wonder how this works.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
I changed status last month and everything transferred without a hitch after I activated my new card. Interestingly I noticed the expiry date on the back of the card (ie the MasterCard facility) was three months later than the expiry date on the front of of the Qantas card . I wonder how this works.
Did your new card have a new Mastercard number or the same reprinted?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: QF Gold
garethlewis

When my status changed and I was issued with the new card, the Mastercard number remained the same. The funds are, after all with M/C not QF. It had to be reactivated but this was easily done via phone. There both an Australian number and an overseas number on the M/C side of the card.

Baghoarder

The expiry date on the front of the card is for your FF not your Mastercard. Think of it as two cards in one, each with a different function.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmam7
garethlewis

When my status changed and I was issued with the new card, the Mastercard number remained the same. The funds are, after all with M/C not QF. It had to be reactivated but this was easily done via phone. There both an Australian number and an overseas number on the M/C side of the card.

Baghoarder

The expiry date on the front of the card is for your FF not your Mastercard. Think of it as two cards in one, each with a different function.
Just out of interest - you were in Australia when this happened (the issuing of the new card?)

If you are overseas I had read the old card becomes invalid.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: QF CL
garethlewis

Baghoarder

Yes, I understand that. I just wondered if anyone had actually tried to use the physical MasterCard !(ie swipe or chip rather than just using the the card number for say an online purchase), after expiry of the ff date but before expiry of the MC date. It should work of course, but would you count on it?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
garethlewis

Baghoarder

Good to hear cheers!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: QF Gold
LHR/MEL/Europe FF

I was in Australia when the status changed, however the old card remained valid until the new card was issued and activated. It was valid until that point though, not when my actual status changed as there was a time delay (two weeks) in actually issuing the new card. I'd imagine it would be the same overseas.

I'd also imagine it is a reasonably common occurrence (status upgrade or downgrade in the middle of a journey lasting more than a few days and probably away from home country at the time), so QF or M/C must have a way of dealing with it. There is the overseas number on the card.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR/MEL/Europe FF

I was in Australia when the status changed, however the old card remained valid until the new card was issued and activated. It was valid until that point though, not when my actual status changed as there was a time delay (two weeks) in actually issuing the new card. I'd imagine it would be the same overseas.

I'd also imagine it is a reasonably common occurrence (status upgrade or downgrade in the middle of a journey lasting more than a few days and probably away from home country at the time), so QF or M/C must have a way of dealing with it. There is the overseas number on the card.
As I mentioned, and unless recently fixed, the reports are that when overseas, the card is deactivated when you change status.

If anyone is likely to be in that situation, might be worth calling QF cash to see what the current arrangements are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.