Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas Walkabout Pass / Other Airpasses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

I'm booking a round-the-world ticket on One World. The flight into Australia is on Qantas and the flight out is on Japan Airlines. Haven't worked out which OW airline is issuing the ticket yet; probably American Airlines.

I've reached the 16 segment flight limit on the OW RTW ticket and still need more flights, which will have to be on a separate ticket.

Is there a Qantas air pass I can buy for Australian domestic travel?

All the stuff I read on the Walkabout pass talks about booking it at the same time as your international flights, so that will not work for me with a RTW ticket issued by American Airlines.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Where do you want to go to within Australia. With the pricing for major cities, just checking the Jetstar, Virgin and Qantas sites, you may be able to get decent prices just as normal tickets
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Where do you want to go to within Australia.
Well it is a bit flexible! Where I want to go depends on how much the ticket costs.

I'm arriving and leaving Australia from Sydney. I must go to Melbourne. I could go to Perth. I wouldn't mind going to Lord Howe Island or Norfolk Island.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:25 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
A trip to LDH will be expensive - and don't even think you might be able to get award seats - and if you can, it's almost impossible to find out and back awards that fit nicely together. You need to sort award seats to LDH a year in advance.

LDH would be one place in Oz that I'd try to fit on a RTW air ticket. The individual tickets SYD-LDH are around $500 each way (give or take). Then you need accomodation - think $250 / night and upwards. There is no camping and there are no backpacker hostels. Notwithstanding, it's really worth going there!

Balance this with (as Dave Noble stated) a domestic SYD-MEL ticket which can often be obtained for not much over $100. There's almost always award seats available because there's so much capacity.

SYD-PER would most likely be a cheaper flight than LDH.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Mmmmm, the problem with adding Lord Howe Island into the RTW ticket is it is not "efficient" to fly there. It would use up 2 segments. I have every single one of my 16 segments in the RTW ticket (with the exception of Santiago-Easter Is.-Santiago) stopping in a new and different city which I actually want to go to. So to add one stop in LDH would mean deleting two stops somewhere else.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In which case I would suggest skipping Lord Howe Island. It is possible to get to Perth for $230 , so that is easy

Given that all the domestic AU fares are sold as one way tickets, it is not hard to get to major locations for decent prices. If you want to go to more expensive locations , then you may want to start considering relative priorities of places to visit on the ATW ticket and see whether visiting somewhere in AU is more desirable than somewhere already selected
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by creampuff
Mmmmm, the problem with adding Lord Howe Island into the RTW ticket is it is not "efficient" to fly there. It would use up 2 segments. I have every single one of my 16 segments in the RTW ticket (with the exception of Santiago-Easter Is.-Santiago) stopping in a new and different city which I actually want to go to. So to add one stop in LDH would mean deleting two stops somewhere else.
If you are planning well ahead you can get return awards to LDH ( I did it for 4 pax) in September last year. The best value is to buy AA miles (preferably with a bonus) and for 10,000 miles per leg you can get there in Y (no J) or for that matter anywhere else in Oz! LDH is well worth it.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In which case I would suggest skipping Lord Howe Island. It is possible to get to Perth for $230 , so that is easy

Given that all the domestic AU fares are sold as one way tickets, it is not hard to get to major locations for decent prices. If you want to go to more expensive locations , then you may want to start considering relative priorities of places to visit on the ATW ticket and see whether visiting somewhere in AU is more desirable than somewhere already selected
Yep, having done both I would fly to Perth and go to Rottnest Island!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.