Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Use Int'l Lounge at SYD and then leave airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF

Later this month I am flying WLG-SYD on QF and then later that day SYD-KUL on MH. I am One World Emerald (via CX) so have access to QF's (very nice) international lounge.

A friend is flying out of SYD on QF shortly after I arrive. Is it possible to go through the security at international transfer and meet him in the lounge; and then, after his plane has departed, leave the airport and go into the CBD on the train (as I have a meeting there) before returning later that day to the airport to catch my flight to KUL?

If so, are there any particular quirks in the process I need to know?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 pm

Go back through transit security into the arrivals floor, done something similar almost a decade ago, don't know if it's still possible.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:24 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by edy4eva
Go back through transit security into the arrivals floor, done something similar almost a decade ago, don't know if it's still possible.
I am aware of someone doing exactly this a few years ago. It was reported as complex and troublesome. IIRC one main time consuming obstacle was Immigration having to find this person's outbound Immigration card and "unprocess" it.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by og
I am aware of someone doing exactly this a few years ago. It was reported as complex and troublesome. IIRC one main time consuming obstacle was Immigration having to find this person's outbound Immigration card and "unprocess" it.
Do transit passengers have to complete and hand out passenger cards at transit security? I thought the card is only for when clearing immigration.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:14 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do transit passengers have to complete and hand out passenger cards at transit security? I thought the card is only for when clearing immigration.
Of course - I mis-read the question. I was thinking of someone leaving the country (ie outbound immigration) , entering the Flounge and then deciding not to fly and re-entering the country again. This necessitated a refund of a fully refundable ticket and undoing the immigration process.

Since outbound is on the T1 upper level and arrivals are on the lower level, I'm unaware of any straightforward upper to lower level access. Are there upward and downward escalators at the transfer area? It must be possible as I can't see any impediment - unless the guest to the Flounge must be accompanied by guestee (but how on earth can that be carefully monitored?).
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by og
Since outbound is on the T1 upper level and arrivals are on the lower level, I'm unaware of any straightforward upper to lower level access. Are there upward and downward escalators at the transfer area? It must be possible as I can't see any impediment - unless the guest to the Flounge must be accompanied by guestee (but how on earth can that be carefully monitored?).
I recall seeing an elevator just outside of the transfer security that goes up to the departure level. I'm assuming it can be taken back downstairs?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by og
someone leaving the country (ie outbound immigration) , entering the Flounge and then deciding not to fly and re-entering the country again. This necessitated a refund of a fully refundable ticket and undoing the immigration process.
Oh that would be one heck of a hassle
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:42 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh that would be one heck of a hassle
Indeed - it was (and it wasn't me).
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:31 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by og
No downward escalator but there are stairs and a lift. Quite normal to go down to the arrivals level from departures - for example transfer desk is on this level at the exit to transfer security.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by og
Since outbound is on the T1 upper level and arrivals are on the lower level, I'm unaware of any straightforward upper to lower level access. Are there upward and downward escalators at the transfer area?
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No downward escalator but there are stairs and a lift. Quite normal to go down to the arrivals level from departures - for example transfer desk is on this level at the exit to transfer security.
I did this about 3½ years ago. The instructions were to take the lift from the lounge level down to the arrivals level and ask security to let me through "backwards" into the arrivals stream. I don't recall any difficulty with this at all.

Because I knew that I might well be doing this, I made sure that I took and filled in an arrivals card on my inbound flight. No questions or hassle there either.

The biggest hassle I had was getting over to the unfamiliar badlands of T2 when I wasn't connecting to another flight ...
Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice. Will let you know how I get on.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

It turned out that the QANTAS staff at WLG (who are in fact AirNZ staff dressed in QF uniforms) couldn't/wouldn't check my baggage through. They said that there may have been a problem with the MH ticket (didn't seem to be any when I checked in). Not the end of the world (I met my friend at McDonalds by arrivals which undoubtedly stopped us drinking champagne at 9.00am), but would have been easier not to have to deal with the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.