Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Great welcome on Emirates-Nothing on Qantas :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great welcome on Emirates-Nothing on Qantas :)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by seat_4D
Yep, all they seem to do is interrupt a conversation or movie for something they are obligated to do and not want to do. If they just walked by and handed me a bottle of water and a smile I would be happy....
The meal + drink service is so slow these days (it doesn't seem to be helped by those mattress thingys). I'd rather they focused on that rather than coming round to shoot the breeze.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Its also embarrassing. "who the hell is that guy" looks from other passengers.

The fasttrack through Dubai immigration was very useful though! Otherwise yeah agree its pointless.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I also get warm greetings from the SYD First Check in staff and lounge staff there. Does Nestor know all First Lounge frequenters by sight?
I swear he does... it's uncanny!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
The welcome and offer of anything I can do for you is fair enough. I sometimes get a J cheese plate in Y. The welcome I remember most though was by a pilot of an A380. He greeted a few of us.

Admittedly I am not sure what I could have possibly asked for - a diversion to Rome - a pass under the Sydney harbour bridge?

But it was pleasant and then when the safety video came on - it was him again. Two welcomes from the same pilot.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 3:19 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
+1 on the greeting thing. It annoys me personally if it's a service "element" - much like pursers on most airlines (recently QF, NZ and EK experiences) in premium cabins have to come and welcome you on, then say bye before the flight lands. Seriously don't waste your time. If I need/want the purser/CSM I'll make a comment. I get it is part of a service standard, but personally it bugs me a little bit. Kind of forced small talk ("Oh I see you're headed to LA today, are you staying in the area or going further?" etc). Much more prefer more off the cuff conversations had while eating a meal or at the end just exchanging a few words waiting to depart, or maybe during PDB service etc.

I could honestly care less if I'm recognised as a P1 on QF/EK or whoever and as above if others notice it and wonder "who is that? why are they so special" it's a bit embarassing.

I'm glad that QF in domestic J seem to have dropped the CSM making little forced chats with me just because I'm a P1.. there was a bit of that a year or so ago. Genuine warm conversation absolutely (and like others, I am some of the crews have a mutual recognition going on) and that's fine and fun, but "oh P1 on the manifest must greet and make customary offer.." no thanks. I think if it was part of my job spec it would drive me mental, but that's why I'm not in customer service I guess
Old Sep 26, 2014, 3:30 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I would be much happier if I was quietly offered a glass of the best wine or similar in the pre departure scramble - rather than the verbal charm offensive which just grinds.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by og
I would be much happier if I was quietly offered a glass of the best wine or similar in the pre departure scramble - rather than the verbal charm offensive which just grinds.
Completely agree. Sadly it is never executed as such.

Look, lets be honest - if there is a crew member we actually know, then a personal greeting is much appreciated. However in this situation it is never forced, and the people sitting around you actually think you are likely best friends. In this situation, it is never an issue, and likewise, other passengers are none the wiser.

Fortunately I have had the above situation happen a few times, but it is so different from the scripted event....
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardMEL
+1 on the greeting thing. It annoys me personally if it's a service "element" - much like pursers on most airlines (recently QF, NZ and EK experiences) in premium cabins have to come and welcome you on, then say bye before the flight lands. Seriously don't waste your time.
A surprising number of people seem to be impressed by the fake scripted welcomes as generated by a computer programme and printed for crew to speak, like trained parrots. And including some who have posted on this thread. For me 80% of crew cannot pronounce my Irish surname, so its absolutely farcical.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
For me 80% of crew cannot pronounce my Irish surname, so its absolutely farcical.
If it is Mwenenzi I am not surprised.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:15 am

Oh my surname is difficult too for some reason (but it's not really, but thta's a whole other topic) and when people get it RIGHT it's a fairly significant day - but our family is used to it so no biggie.

I like og's suggestion... a quiet, discrete, acknowledgement would be far more welcome and appropriate.

I guess I don't need my ego "stroked" by the kind of show and the like. I'm just there expecting the same service everyone else gets - hopefully all of it good
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:47 pm

Well i flew EK406 the other day MEL-AKL in J. My BP showed QF Platinum (Do they have the tech to show P1?).. there was no special treatment or acknowledgement from anyone - the closest that I got was the check-in agent noting I could use the EK lounge or QF F. Which one do you think I chose?

So yeah, no op up, no special welcome and no hard sell on Skywards
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:11 pm

two weeks ago on EK366 in J, the purser as well as 3 FA came to my seat during the flight to welcome me back on board, apparently they all just started with emirates. Was a great flight.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by turtlemichael
If it is Mwenenzi I am not surprised.
That'll be MacWenenzicuddy to you.

From a privacy point of view, I'd sometimes rather they didn't broadcast my name to all and sundry. But then I'm one of those old-fashioned types who gets snappish when some teenager demands my forename at a coffee or juice stall.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
aI haven't travelled on Qantas for a while. Last F trip I do not recall being greeted by name. Last Business Class trip the same thing. I do remember sitting next to a flight attendant in Business Class who told me..."it's a zoo back there" and pointed backwards. If that 'zoo' wasn't there she wouldn't have a job.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
I don't need to be greeted personally. I already know how special I am.
As a FF I just want to get from point A to B.
I would rather they know what types of drinks I want and bring it to me without asking.

Glass of Whisky with small amount of ice.
Put that on my profile please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.