Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lounge in Melbourne not code-shared?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The lounge criteria states passengers have access to Qantas and Emirates lounges, not Qantas or Emirates lounges.

This implies passengers can choose which one they want. Lounge crowding may be an issue restricting access, but i would expect this to be explained where appropriate.
They do have access to Qantas and Emirates lounges. There is nothing actually stating that the passenger can choose

As far as it goes, if raising the issue with QF, I doubt that QF would disagree that the passenger is supposed to have the choice and that agents at the lounge are not acting correctly; my point was simply that the statement quoted was not something that explicitly supports it
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
They do have access to Qantas and Emirates lounges. There is nothing actually stating that the passenger can choose
as I said, it is implied the passenger can choose. You don't actually have access if a lounge agent can say 'no'.

there is no other way to read the provisions unless you take a restrictive view, but I think it unlikely that would be supported by any contractual interpretation (and this is a contractual issue as you have paid for lounge access as part of your ticket).
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
as I said, it is implied the passenger can choose. You don't actually have access if a lounge agent can say 'no'.

there is no other way to read the provisions unless you take a restrictive view, but I think it unlikely that would be supported by any contractual interpretation (and this is a contractual issue as you have paid for lounge access as part of your ticket).
And I would never rely on an "implication" if trying to assert that something is being done against the rules : where there is ambiguity or reliance on implication , would not work well to convince an agent that their procedure is wrong I posit

I do think that it is EK agents following rules incorrectly or the documentation provided to EK agents being ambiuous or incorrect ( same as requiring that for access via status, that the status show on the BP - which QF states is incorrect )

The best that can be done is to take it up with QF Customer Service to address and verify that QF concurs that the passenger can choose the lounge

All I am saying is that the document does not state that the passenger can choose and something more authoritative would be something I would be looking for
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
How about going back to the QF lounge and nicely asking the desk staff would they mind ringing the EK lounge and telling them the rules say they have to let you in ?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by timster
How about going back to the QF lounge and nicely asking the desk staff would they mind ringing the EK lounge and telling them the rules say they have to let you in ?
It's MEL T2. Why go back downstairs to the QF J lounge, when you can go next door to the QF F lounge and ask the staff there to come talk to the EK lounge staff.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Just got back from the Emirates Lounge in Melbourne for being QF Gold.

My trip report: http://www.theshutterwhale.com/blog/...bourne-airport

Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:40 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
They don't let QF Gold into the Emirates Lounge at LHR (right next to the QF departure gate). Instead you're invited to walk back to the QF/BA Lounge (10 minutes each way at a brisk walk) if there is a delay at the gate.

As the projected delay was 20 minutes, I declined, and of course it turned into an hour, but always announced in increments as "twenty minutes".
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by mandolino
They don't let QF Gold into the Emirates Lounge at LHR (right next to the QF departure gate). Instead you're invited to walk back to the QF/BA Lounge (10 minutes each way at a brisk walk) if there is a delay at the gate.

As the projected delay was 20 minutes, I declined, and of course it turned into an hour, but always announced in increments as "twenty minutes".
There have been a few posts confirming that at LHR the lounge access (at least to the EK lounge) is strictly on the basis of the operating carrier - it would help if they it clear that this was a requirement rather than a 'recommendation'
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:41 pm

Marc You were very lucky indeed

Originally Posted by markcwj
Just got back from the Emirates Lounge in Melbourne for being QF Gold.

My trip report: http://www.theshutterwhale.com/blog/...bourne-airport

Marc'

You were very lucky indeed as I have have been knocked back as well, being a QF Gold flier. The excuse I was given was that they could not log into the QF system. Their lounge does look very nice but EK is hit and miss with the Amsterdam lounge being an absolute shocker (limited grog, no hot food and miles from the gate) and Dusseldorf being fantastiic for ony about 10 passengers (maybe the Etiyad/Air Berlin competition focusses the mind) .
Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
There have been a few posts confirming that at LHR the lounge access (at least to the EK lounge) is strictly on the basis of the operating carrier - it would help if they it clear that this was a requirement rather than a 'recommendation'
Yes, the guy at the gate even suggested I go to the Emirates lounge when the delay was announced. I walk over there and it's, "No, only if you're traveling First Class".

Rules is rules of course, but they seem happy to let you think you can use Emirates lounges with being too clear about it.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:42 am

Rehashing an old thread rather than starting a new one.

The other day I was transiting through MEL and thought I would check out the Emirates lounge. I was travelling with Qantas in J and hold Gold status with Qantas. To my surprise I was denied access - the staff member insisted that I needed to be booked on an Emirates code share flight.

Reading this thread it looks like others have been denied for the same reason. I've been into other Emirates lounges when travelling on Qantas without a hitch. Is it hit or miss whether you get into the MEL lounge depending on who is manning the front desk? I'm travelling through BNE soon and would like to check out the Emirates lounge there - any experiences of accessing that lounge as a Qantas passenger?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:52 am

You do not need to be booked on a codeshare, but it does seem that the agents will only allow those booked on a flight where a codeshare exists

What flight were you booked on and did it have an Emirates code share?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by stoffel
The other day I was transiting through MEL and thought I would check out the Emirates lounge. I was travelling with Qantas in J and hold Gold status with Qantas. To my surprise I was denied access - the staff member insisted that I needed to be booked on an Emirates code share flight.
Last month I flew out on QF37, in economy, on QF code, and no problems at all as a Gold QFF.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by dave noble
you do not need to be booked on a codeshare, but it does seem that the agents will only allow those booked on a flight where a codeshare exists

what flight were you booked on and did it have an emirates code share?
QF79 MEL-NRT. Not sure about the code share but don't think so.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by stoffel
QF79 MEL-NRT. Not sure about the code share but don't think so.
Whether it is correct for them to do so or not, I have come across the agents at the Emirates lounge checking whether the flight is one that offers a EK codeshare when deciding on access

MEL-NRT is not one of the flights with a codeshare, so can understand why admittance was denied

I am not sure that this is supposed to be how Ek determines how access should be granted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.