Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas upgrades economy meals: bigger serves, boxed dinner packs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium

Earlier this year, Qantas trialled a revamped dinner service with positive results, so...

Starting next month, Qantas will be overhauling its domestic economy class meal offerings. Passengers will be given a dinner choice of a hot meal or a generous salad on both short and medium-range flights.

Hot meals which will appear on the menu include:
  • Beer battered flathead fillets with seasoned wedges and lemon
  • Beef ragu with spaghetti and parmesan
  • Stir-fried honey chicken with hokkien noodles
Cold dishes will include:
  • Thai style chargrilled beef with rice noodle salad
  • Lentil quinoa and falafel salad with pomegranate dressing
  • Pesto farfalle salad with prosciutto

After dinner, customers will be offered a Lindor Lindt chocolate ball.
Serving sizes will see up to a 50% increase.

Boxes will replace meal trays.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-upgra...d-dinner-packs

I thought that there might be an existing thread about the trials, so I tried typing in every keyword that I could think of, but couldn't find anything other than: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22211927-post7.html Apologies if my search failed.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:39 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by FTcadence
Serving sizes will see up to a 50% increase.

Boxes will replace meal trays. ...
Up to 50% increase could be zero increase or less. I'm not sure a box is an enhancement - I'm not getting excited about this. Me thinks throwing a box at someone on the window is quicker than passing a meal tray. And I think the spin doctors have enhanced this cut back. Is there any reference to which particular flights get the boxes?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA GM, QF Bronze, Sugar and Spice buy 6 cups get one free offer card holder
Yes the "Up to 50% more" does not mean much except for marketing/spin land. Much like a department store saying "Up to 75% off" and only having one item in the entire store actually marked this way. I guess some of the salads maybe larger - eg with more cheap lettuce.

The likely reason behind this are efficiency gains at catering depots - eg no cleaning and the empty boxes/packing goes straight into the rubbish. There is a recent trip report somewhere on the net where business class gets a 'Noodle Box' microwave reheat style stir fry as their second meal on Sydney - KL....no tray or anything else....looks like this trend is set to continue
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA
BA have been doing sandwich boxes in Y for all their short-haul flights I believe, presumably for the catering efficiencies mentioned by ozziegumby. The meal timings need to be looked at as well IMHO - on a recent a 2 hour flight from MEL to BNE departing at 5pm, the CC reluctantly informed me that a 5pm departure does not qualify for a dinner service in Y, which is pretty poor if you're not scheduled to land until after 7pm.

I have seen a separate thread somewhere on this board that mentioned the noodle box as the pre-arrival J class offering into the Asian ports.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Isn't it only a few years ago that Qantas last ran with the idea of giving out boxes in economy
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by og
I'm not sure a box is an enhancement - I'm not getting excited about this. Me thinks throwing a box at someone on the window is quicker than passing a meal tray.
Is an improvement compared on what you get on NZ, they don't give out free meals on flights up to 10hours.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Is an improvement compared on what you get on NZ, they don't give out free meals on flights up to 10hours.
Surely not? Or are they LCC-equivalent extra-cheap tickets?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by PaulST
Surely not? Or are they LCC-equivalent extra-cheap tickets?
Meals & Bags aren't included on any flights in the Tasman & Pacific which includes HNL/DPS/PER, you can buy an fully felxi fare on these flights and not get an free meal. To get a meal & bags on these flights, you have to add on 'the works' package during booking.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: Qantas
I am sure they have been trialling this from per to Bne recently, it was quite nice!!!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
And how much have NZ made in profit vs QF recently? They must be doing something right.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ANstar
And how much have NZ made in profit vs QF recently? They must be doing something right.
It's 'easy' to become a virtual LCC when you are basically a monopoly and your main customers generally have no real alternative.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by FTcadence
Boxes will replace meal trays.
They're channeling FJ then? That can't be good...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:48 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
My guess it that that might be QF response to VA complimentary food offering (on MEL-SYD-BNE triangle plus some other routes)...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:16 am

They should think about offering something nicer on domestic J routes, I flew ADL-SYD last week and a very average corned beef on rye I thought was a bit on the lame side, considering this was my first ever flight in J and I am very easily pleased. If it had not been part of an international ticket and I had paid the $1200 return price tag I would have been very disappointed..
I took a 1hr TG J flight the next morning at only $200 return that had far better food than what was offered on QF.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Comparing pricing between Aus domestic and TG (domestic or not) seems pointless given the average wages of the economies and who they are catering to IMHO (yes, pun on the word catering )

Yes the QF "snack" service in J leaves a little something to be desired... definitely akin, but in general, better to US domestic or euro-J (I had a recent BA flight HEL-LHR which basically was an omlete/sausage deal with a cup of tea and juice.. a 3 hour flight). QF mealtime meals aren't bad. Heck last month flew MEL-ADL and dinner on this 1 hour flight was a fairly sturdy lasagne, salad, tart a few glasses of wine etc.

I don't worry so much about domestic flights... you have the J lounge to usually get soup or somethings some decent food (I feel BNE J lounge has some of the best food in the system for what it is) and an hour or 2 flight you get a snack and so on. Sure many people's mileage varies but I don't mind so much. I would have thought the ADL-SYD route would have offered the soup option, which I found usually good with a few pieces of sourdough and some vino (depending on time of day )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.