Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas upgrades economy meals: bigger serves, boxed dinner packs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas upgrades economy meals: bigger serves, boxed dinner packs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:37 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by RichardMEL
I don't worry so much about domestic flights... you have the J lounge to usually get soup or somethings some decent food ....
But isn't the point that the "true" Businessman/woman is so short of time that they are running to get the flight and have no time for a Jlounge and hence expect a good meal on board in J?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:19 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It's now September....any reviews of the new meals?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og
But isn't the point that the "true" Businessman/woman is so short of time that they are running to get the flight and have no time for a Jlounge and hence expect a good meal on board in J?
or on a major trunk route , just going to get on the next flight departing so only in airpotr for a short time

That lounges may have food is no excuse to lower the service onboard
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I see the point re food, and busy businesspeople, connecting and all that. I certainly wasn't trying to be a QF apologist. They clearly think they can make the cut and get away with it (how does VA compare? I have no idea) - as those making choices at QF will be interested in what the direct competition is offering not what TG serves on a 1 hour flight, or the LH FCT experience etc.

You'd also expect that in the cost cutting mode QF is in "they" can rationalise almost anything - heck look at the nothing you'd get on a US carrier for a 1-2 hour flight!

The other thing to note is the timing of the flight. Firemansam mentioned a "refreshment" type snack to my way of thinking. I've had similar between say 9am-12pm on MEL-SYD/ADL type runs, even MEL-BNE come to think of it. Most carriers have definitions, rightly or wrongly, of "main meal" times vs "refreshment" times.. and yes they suck if you fly through a main meal window - possible if you leave ADL at 1100, arrive SYD around 1330(or whenever) and connect to another flight after 1400.

Anyway this thread is about the revamped Y offerings - perhaps J discussions should go elsewhere
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by og
Whilst that is possibly true, my experience is that in the current market the "true" businessman / woman flys whY and J is full of holiday makers and upgraders who get to the lounge in time to grab a better chair, and fill up with the better food before getting served the better booze!

Perhaps hopping SYD-MEL-SYD you get some of that, but certainly ex PER / ADL in my observation that is not the case.

**please note the above comment is made with a minor amount of sarcasm**
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:53 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure whether my HBA-SYD lunchtime flight today had the "new" enhanced boxed lunches, but the closest thing to a boxed lunch was the big box the FAs carried down the aisle from which they handed out meat pies and tomatoe sauce. I suppose the pie was in a sort of half box, but not what I'd really think was a "boxed lunch". Perhaps, like most QF changes, they announce it now and it might see the light of day in 2 yrs time.

And BTW, the pie was quite OK, but nowhere near as nice as the chunky beef pie that I got in Queenstown (furthest up the hill cafe on the main shopping street).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I remember on a past Qantas Y flight the only service was a basket of apples. And if these hot meat pies are all this announcement is, then that's hardly an upgrade. Will fly SYD-BNE soon in Y. Interested to see what's in store.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: QF Gold
og

I think the meat pie in a small box sounds like more of a lunchtime snack. I had one of them SYD/CBR a while ago but can't for the life of me recall the time of day. Tasted nice though.

Yesterday I flew a "dinner" service from CNS/BNE. The boxed dinner was a choice of a thai chicken curry with basmati rice - looked ok, the other pax in my row had that. Couldn't smell much of a "curry" flavour though. I had the salmon pasta salad (cold) and it was quite delicious. Just big enough size too.

Choice of water, juice etc. Alcohol was offered but for sale. Later was tea/coffee with a Lindt chocolate.

I thought all weekday dinner meals came with free wine etc or is that just BNE/SYD, MEL/SYD etc? I'm positive I got free a small bottle of red on a recent SYD/BNE flight which is the only other "boxed" dinner I've had. It was a beef rendang, rice and greens and again the Lindt chocolate. Tasted fine.

All my other flying has been at "snack" time and it's still the usual biscuits (or "cookies" as they insist on calling them), or a terrible eggplant dip with 5 small crispy things with which to eat it. Gives me heartburn so never again. I often just have a bottle of water, particularly if the flight is only about an hour and a half anyway. Plus I've often pigged out in the QF Club :-)

At least it's not buy-on-board! Yet.....!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:39 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by bmam7

Choice of water, juice etc. Alcohol was offered but for sale. Later was tea/coffee with a Lindt chocolate.
I didn't think there was anything for sale on QF flights? Either it's offered complimentary or you can't get it at all?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by sxc
I didn't think there was anything for sale on QF flights? Either it's offered complimentary or you can't get it at all?
Alcoholic drinks are available to buy on some domestic flights in Y. On some flights, they are complimentary.

Originally Posted by bmam7
I thought all weekday dinner meals came with free wine etc or is that just BNE/SYD, MEL/SYD etc? I'm positive I got free a small bottle of red on a recent SYD/BNE flight which is the only other "boxed" dinner I've had. It was a beef rendang, rice and greens and again the Lindt chocolate. Tasted fine.
Please see below for availability of free alcholic drinks, from Qantas website http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...lass/global/en

Originally Posted by Qantas Website
Complimentary food and beverages are included on every Qantas flight, with complimentary beer and wine offered between Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Canberra flights after 4pm on weekdays and between Perth and the East-Coast from lunch time daily.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:41 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I never eat on domestic aircraft in Y, but tried the box dinner for a test last night. Took one bite of the 'Thai beef salad' and it was more beef with slaw. I get they have to change the ingredients but a Thai beef salad without lettuce or fish sauce shouldn't be called that.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:22 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I never eat on domestic aircraft in Y, but tried the box dinner for a test last night. Took one bite of the 'Thai beef salad' and it was more beef with slaw. I get they have to change the ingredients but a Thai beef salad without lettuce or fish sauce shouldn't be called that.
I assume therefore that 'Thai beef salad' is a trade name rather than a warranty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.