Wiki Posts
Search

QF Ticketing For OW Flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What I would really suggest doing is looking at whether another scheme might be better for you based in northern hemisphere, espicially if going to North America. You may find you can get much better value from a more local scheme
Oh I am way ahead of you, I have already signed up for AC and will no doubt be flying AC for 90% of my flights for work but I have been with QF for 13 years now and have a nice amount of life time SC so it'd be silly not to chip away at it slowly until I reach life time silver. I am also with BA but solely just gaining avios through my purchases in the UK for personal and business.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by garethlewis
Oh I am way ahead of you, I have already signed up for AC and will no doubt be flying AC for 90% of my flights for work but I have been with QF for 13 years now and have a nice amount of life time SC so it'd be silly not to chip away at it slowly until I reach life time silver. I am also with BA but solely just gaining avios through my purchases in the UK for personal and business.
You can get the odd SC by crediting any OW flight to it if you want to, you do not need to fly Qantas to do that. When you reach 7000 points you will get silver status
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You can get the odd SC by crediting any OW flight to it if you want to, you do not need to fly Qantas to do that. When you reach 7000 points you will get silver status
I know but I was just hoping by getting QF ticketing on other OW metal I would be able to achieve status without having to necessarily fly QF metal.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:25 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I know but I was just hoping by getting QF ticketing on other OW metal I would be able to achieve status without having to necessarily fly QF metal.
You mean a QF marketed flight (or QF codeshare). The ticketing airline is different as I explained above.

How many SC's do you have in your current year and how much flying are you going to be doing?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh I am way ahead of you, I have already signed up for AC and will no doubt be flying AC for 90% of my flights for work....
There are far better Star Alliance ffp’s than AC. Just look at the AC forum.
For people living in North America the default ffp's are AA (OneWorld) and United (Star). BA is OK for short award flights
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
You mean a QF marketed flight (or QF codeshare). The ticketing airline is different as I explained above.

How many SC's do you have in your current year and how much flying are you going to be doing?
I have been averaging about 250 these past few years
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
There are far better Star Alliance ffp’s than AC. Just look at the AC forum.
For people living in North America the default ffp's are AA (OneWorld) and United (Star). BA is OK for short award flights
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
I will be based in YVR with most of my travel being business within Canada so really AC is my only real practical option
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:07 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
So you currently just scrape Qantas Silver (Ruby) status?

When does your current membership year start/end and how many have you collected in your current membership year?

I wouldn't really go out of my way to try to retain Qantas Silver, especially if you are not in Australia or regularly fly QF.

I will be based in YVR with most of my travel being business within Canada so really AC is my only real practical option
Just because you will mainly fly AC and be based in Canada does not mean you should credit to AC. Same as if you live in Australia and mainly fly QF, you can credit to other oneworld programs (AA/BA/US/...).
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you have only been averaging 250, then it would seem to me that you would have around 3250 SCs so far and wouldn't fall over myself to try and get the remaining 3750 SCs

Just because you are going to be predominantly flying on AC does not mean that the AC scheme is going to give you the best value as a scheme to be a member of. I would definitely look at UA's scheme before committing to AC's scheme
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

all valid points guys, thank you and I will have a good think when my travel commitments increase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.