Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas Club: joining fee waived, double points for new members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Qantas Club Offer

Be Quick! Join Qantas Club and save over 40% plus earn Double points on Qantas flights for travel to 30 November 2014

There's never been a better time to become a Qantas Club member. For 3 days only, we're waiving the $385 joining fee for new members in Australia.*

Join now for 1 year for just $510 saving over 40%. 2 and 4 year options are also available.

Be quick! This offer ends 11:59pm (AEST) 20 August 2014*.

Double points on Qantas flights until 30 November 2014

As a bonus, new members who join the Qantas Club~ between 18 and 20 August 2014 will also earn double Qantas Points on all new eligible Qantas bookings between 18 August and 12 September 2014 for travel until 30 November 2014. It's our way of thanking you for becoming a Qantas Club member. You don't need to register for this offer.

Last edited by eminere; Aug 17, 2014 at 11:44 pm
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Seems like desperation has set in.

Dave
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Smells like a devaluation of benefits is on the way.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: QF Gold
Don't know why they need to attract new customers. With the addition of JQ passengers any lounge I've ever visited is usually chockers.

Also it's a bit unfair on those of us who paid the original joining fee (exorbitant) plus the increasing annual fee. What perks are longer term Club members getting. The food certainly hasn't improved. In fact that ridiculous queue at the do-it-yourself- sandwich toaster press thing is a pain.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: QFF WP
A little OT, but has anyone seen a Double Status Credit promo in the last 4-6 months? They seemed to be a dime a dozen last year, but this year I have not heard of anyone I mix with being on the receiving end of one
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by thadocta
Seems like desperation has set in.
My first thought too.

My paid membership expires at the end of the month and I've been struggling to justify renewing it. I just checked the Qantas website and it appears that my Emirates Gold status will get me lounge access anyway:

Originally Posted by Sydney domestic lounge webpage
Emirates Gold Skyward Members

Next onward flight that day must be operated by Qantas or Emirates with a QF or EK flight number.

One guest allowed and must be travelling with the member on the same flight.
Does anyone have experience (specifically, problems) with using EK Gold/Platinum for domestic lounge access for QF flights? Issues if the flight points and status credits are credited to QF but I use an EK FF card for the lounge?

This sounds too easy. Is there a catch I'm missing?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Does anyone have experience (specifically, problems) with using EK Gold/Platinum for domestic lounge access for QF flights? Issues if the flight points and status credits are credited to QF but I use an EK FF card for the lounge?

This sounds too easy. Is there a catch I'm missing?
The rules were changed sometime in the last 9 or so months that if using EK status to access QF lounges before a QF/EK flight, you need to be using your EK Skywards credentials for that flight.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...club/global/en

The Detail is in the " ^ " ...

Emirates Gold Skyward Members:
Next onward flight that day must be operated by Qantas^ or Emirates^ with a QF or EK flight number.

One guest allowed and must be travelling with the member on the same flight.
^ Lounge access eligibility is based on the class of travel, Qantas club membership or the Frequent Flyer Membership tier for your next onward flight.

There are anecdotes this is being enforced.

Last edited by serfty; Aug 19, 2014 at 10:18 pm
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by serfty
The rules were changed sometime in the last 9 or so months that if using EK status to access QF lounges before a QF/EK flight, you need to be using your EK Skywards credentials for that flight.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...club/global/en

The Detail is in the " ^ " ...

There are anecdotes this is being enforced.
Yeah, I read that but the grammar is so convoluted that I gave up. If there's a limitation in there, it seems to mean that I can use the EK card if I've booked a domestic flight with a QF number but only if I have the EK FF number attached to the booking.

If I'm going to check in at the lounge and don't have a BP yet, how would they know which FF program I'm crediting to? IME at domestic airports (at least at SYD, MEL, PER) they usually just glance at the card rather than scanning it.

As a single data point, this morning at SYD domestic I just waved my EK gold card and was welcomed in. I had QC printed on the BP (and a still-valid QC card in my pocket) but they didn't ask for either. At my transit airport (also domestic) I was with a colleague so while I waved my card they weren't paying attention as they'd already counted me as a guest.

One more domestic flight this week so will see what happens.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:49 am

Second data point from a different (large) airport, domestic terminal:

I had just my EK Gold card in hand; the lounge attendant asked to see my BP, which I produced (with service information "QC Silver Ruby QFxxxxxxx").

Lounge attendant: "Okay. But (*pointing at BP*) since you still have QC you can use that for access; you don't need this (*pointing at EK card*)."

RadioGirl: "Oh, okay. But if I didn't have QC, this (*pointing at EK card*) is okay for lounge entrance, right?"

Lounge attendant: "Oh, yes, that would be fine."

(Her use of the word "still" in the first sentence, while she didn't emphasize it, caught my attention. She didn't scan the card or BP and so had no information that my membership year was about to end.)

It's only two points; YMMV; I don't dispute the anecdotes cited by serfty above; the rules are badly written and inconsistently enforced; YMMV (again); lots of things about lounge access are inconsistently enforced. But I'm willing to let the QC membership lapse this year and trust my luck to the EK Gold. YMMV.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
As always there are inconsistencies in application. I have come across other anecdotes of this rule change being enforced - in some cases incorrectly on oneworld (non QF) elites.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by serfty
As always there are inconsistencies in application. I have come across other anecdotes of this rule change being enforced - in some cases incorrectly on oneworld (non QF) elites.
Yeah, I agree that it's likely to be inconsistent. I have some int'l travel in the next few weeks and then domestic travel to the same airport described above in late September, after my QC has expired so will see what happens. 80% of the time for domestic I'm traveling with a colleague who is Gold or Plat, so can mooch as a guest if need be. Since my int'l travel is EK and QC is now useless for that, I'm not really keen to pay the annual fee for the odd domestic trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.