Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flew Yesterday and was unimpressed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Flew Yesterday and was unimpressed

The More I fly Qantas over the last three years, the less and less I enjoy my flights. I find their J product to be weak and outdated, tiny video screens, limited choices, 1/2 of the A/V is usually not working an the seats are hard, even with the cushion they now place on them.

The crews are hit and miss though when they are Good....They are Excellent...and when they are bad, they are just plain bad. My recently flight from DFW-BNE-SYD was terrible with a crew that disappeared and told me to get my own water at the "buffet" When I asked. Lovely. The 747 was ok, the A/V went on and of a few times.

Yesterdays flight was from SYD-BKK and the airbus was OLD.... seats creaking, AV didn't work in economy and worked only part time in Business. This plane seemed lucky to be flying and these old pods are just awful. That said, the crew was friendly and efficient an always around, really a good group.

Overall, Qantas is lucky they own the market out of AU because otherwise, given other choices and options for my routes, I would opt out of flying them. My next trip down I am taking Singapore air and routing with an extra stop just to avoid the "lottery" that Qantas runs.

Just my two cents.

Safe travels to All! NYC
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
While I am Australian and hence surprisingly anti-QF, I wish you good luck with SQ... Being Star Alliance devotee who does Europe regularly and needs Star Alliance feeder from AU I have been disappointed with SQ so many times... As an example - no amenity kit in business, hit and miss crew, old/regional business class seats ex MEL... I am not big fan of TG either, but they are quickly becoming my preferred feeder for my EU flights...
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:22 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
The More I fly Qantas over the last three years, the less and less I enjoy my flights. I find their J product to be weak and outdated, tiny video screens, limited choices, 1/2 of the A/V is usually not working an the seats are hard, even with the cushion they now place on them.

The crews are hit and miss though when they are Good....They are Excellent...and when they are bad, they are just plain bad. My recently flight from DFW-BNE-SYD was terrible with a crew that disappeared and told me to get my own water at the "buffet" When I asked. Lovely. The 747 was ok, the A/V went on and of a few times.

Yesterdays flight was from SYD-BKK and the airbus was OLD.... seats creaking, AV didn't work in economy and worked only part time in Business. This plane seemed lucky to be flying and these old pods are just awful. That said, the crew was friendly and efficient an always around, really a good group.

Overall, Qantas is lucky they own the market out of AU because otherwise, given other choices and options for my routes, I would opt out of flying them. My next trip down I am taking Singapore air and routing with an extra stop just to avoid the "lottery" that Qantas runs.

Just my two cents.

Safe travels to All! NYC
IFE failures happen, but QF's compensation (often provided by the CSM's note and not requiring the pax to complain) is more than adequate. Who doesn't travel with an iPad or other device?

Last edited by m0hamed; Aug 15, 2014 at 3:30 am
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by m0hamed
IFE failures happen, but QF's compensation (often provided by the CSM's note and not requiring the pax to complain) is more than adequate. Who doesn't travel with an iPad or other device?
I expect that a lot of people do not
Old Aug 15, 2014, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Who doesn't travel with an iPad or other device?
For the purposes of IFE? I don't. And leaving from countries such as China I don't have the access or the data availability to download hours of programming.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
For the purposes of IFE? I don't. And leaving from countries such as China I don't have the access or the data availability to download hours of programming.
Me neither. I have a laptop with zero in the way of movies etc and books. Old skool.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:11 am

Who doesn't travel with an iPad or other device?
I don't. I would expect to use whatever airline's IFE system (if present / operational).
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
A good summary of the Qantas product these days ... sadly ...
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:44 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
A good summary of the Qantas product these days ... sadly ...
Indeed. And this in times where competition on all routes is more intense than ever before.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by NYCtraveler

Just my two cents.
"Own the market out of AU" hardly true at all, otherwise QF would be in a much healthier position. Sadly QF standards, and dare I say it seems to be the same across all the airlines I have flown over the last 5 years, has decreased rather than increased.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Sadly QF standards, and dare I say it seems to be the same across all the airlines I have flown over the last 5 years, has decreased rather than increased.
I'll support this claim having regularly flown business class on LH, LX, SQ, TG, UA, QF in the past 10 years...
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:30 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
"Own the market out of AU" hardly true at all, otherwise QF would be in a much healthier position.
True - VA goes from strength to strength - I was recently told no more AU domestic travel on QF - we have to use VA (and we have C-class travel policy on AU domestics apart from the SYD-BNE-SYD flights, where it is Y), I guess it is a significant revenue loss for QF.

QF is still a good airline, but for example it is annoying me, when there is no pre-arrival snack in C on AU-SIN/BKK/HKG flights. After arriving from AU, I would like to take a cab to the hotel and just go to bed, instead of thinking how to organize something to eat...
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by vbroucek
I'll support this claim having regularly flown business class on LH, LX, SQ, TG, UA, QF in the past 10 years...
You'd have to assume they're selling what people want to buy.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by TPJ

QF is still a good airline, but for example it is annoying me, when there is no pre-arrival snack in C on AU-SIN/BKK/HKG flights. After arriving from AU, I would like to take a cab to the hotel and just go to bed, instead of thinking how to organize something to eat...
Don't know how recently you might have flown these routes, but earlier this year (March / April?) they started doing just that; noodles and such served in a cardboard box. Nothing to write home about though.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Some adding some removing....

The USA Airlines went bare bones years ago, no duvets, limited deserts, no shrimp cocktails etc. Now the US airlines are Adding that to try and bring back the customers they are losing to competition.

Qantas is in a bad place, They have some of the highest paid flight attendants in the world and Other airlines are pulling staff from Thailand and the Phillipines for $20,000 USD per year....How to compete with this? Tough call.

As I said....It appears that Qantas has cut back on the hard product. Their Business class seats are about 6 years behind that of BA or Singapore or even the new AA metal....But as many have pointed out many airlines flying this region have done the same.

I will try Singapore out and see.

What surprises me is the inability to fill the First class cabins on the long haul routes into AU? There is so much money there and why airlines such as Cathay Pacific and JAL and Qantas cannot fill a First class cabin from Asia is beyond me. I look at the LHR-JFK route where First always has people waiting to get in and its only 6.5 hours?

Safe travels to all! NYC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.