Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Infant seat etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Infant seat etiquette

We are travelling tomorrow in Business Class SYD - SIN. We presently do not have a seat for our infant son (who is almost 2).

Seat map is showing many free seats. What is the etiquette for him taking up a seat that is free? Assuming we don't sit him next to a stranger.

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by teddyflyer
We are travelling tomorrow in Business Class SYD - SIN. We presently do not have a seat for our infant son (who is almost 2).

Seat map is showing many free seats. What is the etiquette for him taking up a seat that is free? Assuming we don't sit him next to a stranger.

Thanks
Them seats aren't "free". If you didn't purchase a seat for him, I don't know why'd you think you could just plop him down anywhere. You did pay the infant fee for him?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:33 am
Original Poster

For the same reason people in Economy may lay across seats in a non full flight.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Incidentally, would you same the same thing if it was economy and there were 20 free seats?

I paid for an infant seat knowing full well that if the flight was full he would need to sit on our lap. I personally don't think that precludes you from the benefit that arises when there is a half empty flight.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:40 am

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P
Infant seat etiquette

I'm sure that the FA will offer a seat for your child.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Thanks
Can't see a problem, however an adult will have to sit next to the infant at all times, least of all in the event of an emergency (oxygen) and for ensuring the infant has seat belt fastened during turbulence etc.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Well, if I was in your situation and a free seat was available, I'd take take it, or more likely let partner or other paying companion steal another seat and have the infant next to you.

To be honest, my wife travelled a lot with the kids when they were babies, in addition to us all travelling together and almost always when in economy we were given an extra seat. In business, even with four seats we always seem to end up sharing the space with a child.....
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
I know you have probably already had your flight - people in this situation please be aware that there are only certain rows that lap infants are allowed in. As I understand it there must be an extra oxygen mask.

So be kind to the crew if they are enforcing the rules in where you move.

Might be easier if there are 2 adults with the child for one of the adults to go and move.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:09 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
There is every chance that the many free seats will have bums in them. Upgrades, staff ID travel, deadheading staff, late sales, and so on. There's no such thing as a "free seat" - especially in the front cabins.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P
Infant seat etiquette

20 years ago when flying frequently between OZ & NZ when my wife & I used to travel with our daughter when she was less than 2 yo we always bought 3 full fare seats in biz class & our daughter invariably sat on one of our laps because that's what she wanted to do. Many times we had to evict people seated in our third seat who would be upgraded there by the crew in a thrice If the seat looked vacant after takeoff.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

I thought I would come back and update.

The flight was definitely not full. Apparently 27 free seats in Business. As such there were many spare seats and my son occupied one of them. The crew were all very nice to him and had no issue with him occupying the seat.

On the other hand our flight from HKG - SYD was full and we shared our two seats with our son. It was actually fine and he managed to sleep, even if we didn't.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I thought I would come back and update.

The flight was definitely not full. Apparently 27 free seats in Business. As such there were many spare seats and my son occupied one of them. The crew were all very nice to him and had no issue with him occupying the seat.

On the other hand our flight from HKG - SYD was full and we shared our two seats with our son. It was actually fine and he managed to sleep, even if we didn't.
thanks for the update.

when your son occupied a seat, was it next to an adult? or was he alone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.