New QF 9/10 timings - menu?

Old Oct 18, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Did QF10 in PE last week, after starting from ABZ.
I really prefer the new times, though crew told me the customers are 50/50.

I hated arriving in MEL at 6am then doing the zombie walk all day.

Evening is much better, and it means I leave ABZ one morning and arrive MEL the following day's evening instead of two days later like before. The long haul in PE was quite bearable - I didn't want to sleep until arrival anyway. Saving my points for applied-for upgrade to J bed on the way back this week.

One small niggle - Skybus doesn't run hotel shuttles from SX after 10:30 (IIRC). That did put me in a bad mood but fixed by an AU$12 taxi ride to other end of CBD. But I wish that had been announced more prominently on the website when I bought my ticket. For two people it makes the Skybus almost same as taxi all the way.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The skybus hotel shuttles cease at 10:30pm weekdays and 5:30pm weekends.

These hours of operation are not shown on the web site home page, so, really not highlighted; they should be on the home page. You need to click through a link under "Hotel Transfers".

http://www.skybus.com.au/hotel-transfer-service/

Anyway, this is a little off topic (other than that the use of QF10 makes this service problematic).
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:09 pm

Yes, it's a small consequence, but bearing in mind that there's now an extra 500-odd people arriving too late for the shuttle, a proportion of whom will be staying at a hotel in town, and a further proportion of whom would use Skybus rather than taxis, it's disappointing and customer-unfriendly that it's not displayed more prominently on the booking website.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
It does seem that Skybus are catering to, mostly, domestic flyers and "main hours" int.. It seems odd they would treat weekends differently to weekdays, though I suspect that is more about pay rates/penalty rates for the extra staff for the weekends, but in a 24/7 city you arrive at 8p on a Sat night and no shuttle seems odd, specially if you could get it the same time Friday.

I use the Skybus frequently, but being resident in MEL I do not need the shuttle, but I have thought about this issue when I've noticed it running or not.

The train will fix all this right? in 2026
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:46 pm

Oh yeah, the train. :-)
I might live so long.

Like the BNE one that stops after 8:30pm?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:15 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
WOW! We've finally found that some part of SYD is better than BNE or MEL
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is this on one of the days that QF10 is non-op between LHR and DXB?
Sorry for the slow reply - yes, that was the case for me.

And the promised mini-TR for these sectors:

QF9 MEL-DXB in F

Supper then breakfast before arrival at DXB. Midnight departure meant most folks that I observed just had a bowl of soup or other snack before sleeping. I had full dinner in the F lounge before a bowl of soup on board then off to a good night's sleep.

Breakky was the standard long-haul F fare - your choice of bakery, fruit salad, yoghurt, cereal and hot mains (pancakes vs egg dish of some sort). It was fine.

QF9 DXB-LHR in J

Lunch was the main meal served, and a "refreshment" before landing. I know I shouldn't be but I am shocked at how tiny the J class main meals are now on long haul. That said, it actually turned out to be OK because there was no shortage of food on this sector. The crew were also superb - at least 2 passes of the cabin offering water and fruit juices, another offering snacks such as ice-cream (yum) and another pass offering tea/coffee. The refreshment was a noodle box with different yummy offerings. I had salt and pepper quail, which was really delicious. In between meals the snack bars were set up to help yourself to various items - drinks (including wine), fruit, biscuits, chocolates and crisps. A classic example of how great customer service can be delivered - the fact that the crew were regularly engaged in looking after passenger comfort (with something as simple as regularly topping up water or offering fruit juice) really made an impression on me.

EK8 LHR-DXB in F

My first time in EK F - wow. Dine on demand was extensive - as was the Dom Perignon! I had a continental breakfast cold collation plate at the beginning of the flight, with that delicious cardamon-scented Arabic coffee (and dates) EK serves. Second service was late lunch. I had what to me was a lamb biryani - spicy and delicious. The EK crew could not have been more helpful or accommodating. They had that wonderful slight sense of disappointment when I didn't accept more of everything. The loos (which include the shower stalls) on the EK 380 are very impressive - as big as my bathroom at home! The open bar in F (with the water feature) was also very impressive.

QF110 in F

Head spinning by the time we left at 1.30am DXB time. Supper service, a "refreshment" section on the menu and dinner before landing into Mel. A really delightful crew, including one who had flown me up to DXB the week before, so nice to see a familiar face. Again I had soup (the Moroccan chicken soup - delicious, and soup is the most soothing of meals on a flight, and something that QF has done consistently well IMO for a long time) before collapsing into exhausted sleep for several hours. I didn't avail myself of the "refreshment" menu, and had the "Rockpool style" lamb for dinner. All very nice.

I think the timings of the flights are pretty good, although one needs to be careful with timing of sleep on the return sector given the late night arrival into MEL. This was my first time travelling to London on these sectors (I was so enraged by the decisions to drop HKG and SIN to LHR that I've been flying with CX mostly on that route). Putting me on the EK flight may not have been in QF's longer term interests. All that did was give me a taste for more EK flying!!! That said, the QF F bed has to be one of the most comfortable, if not the most comfortable in the sky. I love its width and the sheepskin mattress, which makes for a very good sleep.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by og
WOW! We've finally found that some part of SYD is better than BNE or MEL
Hold your horses!

The Sydney train has no onward hotel shuttles and the platform lift at Central is too small for two people and luggage. :-)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:55 am

I think the timings of the flights are pretty good, although one needs to be careful with timing of sleep on the return sector given the late night arrival into MEL.
That's why I took PE down to MEL but have upgraded to J for QF9. Worked well so far.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.