Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Possible to use AA miles to buy QF business seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to use AA miles to buy QF business seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Question Possible to use AA miles to buy QF business seats?

I have 300K AA miles and want to use them for 2 people to fly LAX-SYD next year (the trans-Pacifi legs on Qantas). Previously we have been told by AA that Qantas won't let their passengers upgrade with AAmiles. But all the Oneworld charts IMPLY you can at least blow a lot of miles and get business seats.
Is this true?
Is it feasible?
How far in advance has someone done this? I was looking online on the AA site well into next year and all I see are ECONOMY seats for sale for miles. We would want to book as far in advance as possible because we are trying it into a business trip and boat charter, so we need to know when we will arrive/depart in advance to set the other dates.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by welltended
I have 300K AA miles and want to use them for 2 people to fly LAX-SYD next year (the trans-Pacifi legs on Qantas). Previously we have been told by AA that Qantas won't let their passengers upgrade with AAmiles. But all the Oneworld charts IMPLY you can at least blow a lot of miles and get business seats.
Is this true?
Is it feasible?
How far in advance has someone done this? I was looking online on the AA site well into next year and all I see are ECONOMY seats for sale for miles. We would want to book as far in advance as possible because we are trying it into a business trip and boat charter, so we need to know when we will arrive/depart in advance to set the other dates.
You cannot use AA miles to upgrade on Qantas

You can indeed use AA miles for redemption seats in Economy, Business and 1st class . ( you cannot book awards into Premium Economy )

The main issue is the availability side; it can be ( as you have seen ) be v difficult to redeem

Qantas allows bookings from approx. 355 days before departure whilst AA only allows its members to book from 330 days before departure so members of schemes not limited to 330 days have over 3 weeks head start on booking

This is really an AA miles question and would be better served in the AA forum

You do not need lots of miles. to redeem on Qantas from US - Australia is 62,500 miles one way in business and 72,500 miles in 1st class. With 300k miles you might also want to look for 1st awards too
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Thanks. The irony is I have 300K miles because I never can find a way to use them.
I have asked AA members if they have any success and if so what tips to offer.
But the 3 week disadvantage is hard to overcome.
I wish Qantas took miles and money or something
I will look for First awards also, good idea.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] This was cross posted in the QF and AA forums which is against FT rules. As this question relates to the us of AA miles, I will close this thread. You can follow the discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ess-seats.html

[/ mod hat]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.