Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas Tightens Lounge Access Rules for Emirates Passengers

Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium

When flying in economy on an Emirates flight number, Qantas Club cardholders won't be able to use Qantas international business lounges. Cardholders also won't be able to use Emirates' Dubai lounges unless their ticket has a QF flight number.

The new restriction also applies to the American Airlines' Admirals Club lounge in London for Qantas Club members travelling on an Emirates flight number.
Statused members of Qantas' FF program won't be affected. Only flyers who paid for yearly Qantas Club access will notice the change.

The changes are set to take effect on October 1.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-tight...irates-flights
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
From qantas.com.au:

Changes to Qantas Club access when flying Emirates

To enjoy access to domestic and international lounges for travel from 1 October 2014, you need to have a QF or JQ flight number on your ticket for your onward flight. As with all our other airline partners, this change means that as a Qantas Club member you need to book a QF flight number to access Qantas and Partner lounges when travelling in Economy on Emirates.

Choose Qantas to enjoy the lounge

Qantas (QF) flight numbers are available on all Emirates flights to and from Australia and New Zealand, the majority of destinations between Dubai, Europe and the Middle East, as well as key destinations in Africa. So, to make the most of your membership and enjoy lounge access before you fly, simply book the QF flight number.

Qantas Club members will continue to be able to access the Qantas Club lounges when their next onward flight on that day is on a Qantas or Jetstar flight number.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:45 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Has QF realised that the dance with EK is not all it was thought to be?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I suspect its more that if a pax books the EK code then QF gets no revenue, EK might pay QF a small amount for the points earn, but then will charge QF for lounge access.

Whereas if booked under the QF codeshare, I presume that QF gets a portion of the fare charged, which offests the lounge access charge.

QF wants people flying on its codeshares. For elites this is generally done by the chase of Status Credits, for regular Qantas Club members they now have this method as well.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by moa999
QF wants people flying on its codeshares. For elites this is generally done by the chase of Status Credits, for regular Qantas Club members they now have this method as well.
Fair enough, but on not a single one of the international bookings I have made in the last year has QF been close to competitive in price. Status is nice, but I'll keep the extra cash (and the points are definitely no longer worth the chase).
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:38 pm

Meh, anywhere that there are both QF and EK lounges I've always thought the EK lounge was superiro.

Really feels like Qantas are realizing the Emirates deal is actually hammering their own business.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
Fair enough, but on not a single one of the international bookings I have made in the last year has QF been close to competitive in price. Status is nice, but I'll keep the extra cash (and the points are definitely no longer worth the chase).
Yeah, I've booked the EK code (EK operated or QF-operated) for my last four trips to Europe because it was considerably cheaper. And started crediting to EK, to the point where I'm now EK Gold and get EK lounge access as a result.

According to the QF page, EK Golds can still use the QC but if not, I'll make sure to book the EK-operated flights and use the EK lounge.

I think QF shot themselves in the foot with this arrangement, but I'm quite enjoying EK.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by moa999
I suspect its more that if a pax books the EK code then QF gets no revenue, EK might pay QF a small amount for the points earn, but then will charge QF for lounge access.
That would be a justification for removing lounge access in Dubai and London, but EK will not be charging Qantas anything for Qantas allowing people who have paid the membership fee to be a member of the Qantas Club, for accessing Qantas Clubs

Originally Posted by RadioGirl

According to the QF page, EK Golds can still use the QC but if not, I'll make sure to book the EK-operated flights and use the EK lounge.
Given that there is not change to status based lounge access , I doubt that there will be any change for holders of Gold status with EK
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:37 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Shamrock55
Really feels like Qantas are realizing the Emirates deal is actually hammering their own business.
Agree - looks like one year or so too late...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:17 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by Shamrock55
What the deal did was to allow QF elites to actually now try out EK without having to worry about status and points. And Qantas is now starting to realise that they have just fed EK with their best customers.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
What the deal did was to allow QF elites to actually now try out EK without having to worry about status and points. And Qantas is now starting to realise that they have just fed EK with their best customers.
Of course that was the risk ; perhaps Qantas was maintaining an arrogant view that its products were better than Emirates's and that it would gain customers from Emirates rather than lose them

Those with status ( there's nothing elitist about flying a lot on Qantas ) who were blinkered by FF points indeed now may have had their eyes opened

This change only affects those who have a purchased lounge access membership to a club which does a poor job at providing value. c.f. US lounge membership programmes which provide for lounge access for paying members at any time. Further reducing value of Qantas Club membership seems another great way to encourage non-renewing
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: QF, SQ, EK, TG, AA, AF, MH, ET, SAA, MIAT, and some dodgy odds 'n sods, and SPG, IHC, HH, Accor ...
At the outset of this "joint arrangement" I noted to both airlines that the EK Lounges left the leprechaun's mob in the shade, at the 'up to First Level', and the difference between EK and QF Business was debatable/on the day, so to speak. QF has the edge in the blunter section of the airframe with its' Y+, and marginally in Y due to its' less 'bums across'.

As I've commented on a couple of other threads, QF really has dropped it's standards over the last ten years or so ...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:07 pm

I think you will find that EK started this round of lockouts. I was denied EK lounge access in Melbourne last week because I had a QF tircket and it would not scan, while in the QF lounge they were still announcing EK flights suggesting EK passengers were still welcome.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by patrickk
I think you will find that EK started this round of lockouts. I was denied EK lounge access in Melbourne last week because I had a QF tircket and it would not scan, while in the QF lounge they were still announcing EK flights suggesting EK passengers were still welcome.
To elaborate on my post above it seems that EK has done this without telling anybody.On the same day in the QF lounge they were calling the EK flight, so they must have been allowed in. It does make sense to stop people like me lounge shopping. EK want EK passengers or codeshares on EK metal in their lounges. I noted the EK Dusseldorf lounge was fanastic with first class lounge food with only five people in it. I was in there by virtue of my QF codeshare ticket, but noted they were struggling for business at the pointy end of the plane where is was not. The politics of lounge access indeed
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I think you will find that EK started this round of lockouts.
Early in the "partnership" I had problems at the EK Business lounge in DXB as a paid QC member (EK-marketed and operated flights in Y). The first time they told me that using QC for access only applied if I had a QF-marketed flight. An appeal to a supervisor fixed that. The second time they told me I had to have a QF FF number on my BP to use QC for access. I had to let them change the FF from EK to QF to let me into the lounge (where I immediately changed it back.)

Whether these were due to teething problems or an unofficial policy to make it harder for QC members to use the lounge, I don't know or, frankly, care.
I was denied EK lounge access in Melbourne last week because I had a QF tircket and it would not scan, ...
On what basis were you trying to use the EK lounge? Business or First class ticket? QF Gold? EK Gold? QC paid membership?
... while in the QF lounge they were still announcing EK flights suggesting EK passengers were still welcome.
Not really surprising. First, the changes announced in the OP don't take effect until October 1. Second, EK passengers who are EK Gold, EK Platinum or flying business or first will still be "welcome"* after 1 October; it's only paid QC members flying Y who will not.

*I haven't ever found the attitude "welcoming" but that's another thread.

Last edited by RadioGirl; Jul 31, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.