Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:07 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
"Confessions from First Class"

A tell-all book from a former QF flight attendant.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/qantas-...624-3apyx.html

Does anyone else find the details in the book somewhat bad taste and could open up the FA to accusations of libel?

I would have thought FAs would have some confidentiality clauses in their employment agreement.

Last edited by sxc; Jun 25, 2014 at 8:47 pm
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:15 pm

I would have thought some people would know better than do it with a FA.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Absolutely stunned QF are allowing this to be published. I have no doubt FA's (especially F class) would sign confidentiality agreements for this EXACT reason. Celebrities are going to be hesitant to choose QF if they fear their stories will be published for the benefit of some over-the-hill FA looking for his 15 minutes of fame. Why they've haven't sought a court injunction is beyond me.

This also does significant brand damage to QF themselves as it reveals various breaches, of both security and policy (i.e. FAs allowing smoking onboard in exchange for bribes, allowing J pax into F and 'showering' them with F class amenities).

I actually think less of QF for allowing this to be published. No self-respecting company would allow an ex-employee to drag their name through the mud.

I've read 'Air Babylon' but that is a completely anonymous book that doesn't really mention any names or airlines. For anyone arguing 'its just a bit of harmless fun' (which Im guessing is the authors motivation), think about if you ran a business and an ex employee who had signed a confidentiality agreement decided to write a tell all book giving away various trade secrets, divulging personal conversations with your most important customers, and boasting about how they'd broken the law whilst in their role? How would you react?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:52 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by smit0847
Absolutely stunned QF are allowing this to be published.
I doubt that permission was sought from Qantas?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
If you think this is in bad taste, you should look at some of Pucci's tales over on the BAEC Board - some of the things our fellow pax get up to (no need for celebrity status!) make you wonder if you'd ever share a metal tube with a stranger again.

If the anecdotes are as accurate as the quotes "she ended up chatting to him in the cockpit", I don't think QF would have anything to worry about.

Regards,

BD
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Are you plugging the book or bashing Qantas?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Originally Posted by sxc
I doubt that permission was sought from Qantas?
I doubt it was either - what I mean is that I'm amazed QF haven't sought a legal injunction to stop the publishing!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:55 pm

Er...because "THE BOOK QANTAS TRIED TO STOP YOU FROM READING!!!" is way more interesting to the general public than some random FA memoir that will be remaindered in six weeks?

Also, while I know that all common-law jurisdictions are not as protective of press freedoms as the U.S. is, you really need to look up the concept of "prior restraint." It's not generally considered a great thing.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:15 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

FA friends for other airlines have told me that they sign confidentiality clauses, and when they leave they are reminded about that. I doubt it's any different with QF.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by sxc
A tell-all book from a former QF flight attendant.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/qantas-...624-3apyx.html

Does anyone else find the details in the book somewhat bad taste and could open up the FA to accusations of libel?

I would have thought FAs would have some confidentiality clauses in their employment agreement.
Since you are from Hong Kong, you should know about this lady 藍海寧 then ? Though I don't know if you are Chinese or an expat foreigner working in Hong Kong.

She is a current HKG based FA who write columns in Hong Kong newspapers and published many books (in Chinese) about her life as a FA and tell-all in the air (never mentioned what airline though, but there are many hints: UA)
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:41 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Since you are from Hong Kong, you should know about this lady 藍海寧 then ? Though I don't know if you are Chinese or an expat foreigner working in Hong Kong.

She is a current HKG based FA who write columns in Hong Kong newspapers and published many books (in Chinese) about her life as a FA and tell-all in the air (never mentioned what airline though, but there are many hints: UA)
No, I don't read Chinese. But there is a difference between writing things as "A celebrity did xyz" vs "Katy Perry did this...."
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Talking

Originally Posted by sxc
No, I don't read Chinese. But there is a difference between writing things as "A celebrity did xyz" vs "Katy Perry did this...."
To quote the article, Katy Perry "...laughed hysterically". She needs to sue for that comment.

The worst that I could see was a singer who offered the FA a bribe to turn the other way while he broke a regulation. Can't be bothered reading the article again but I don't recall the offer being accepted, just a wry remark from a colleague about taking the money

Don't think I'll expend any energy with confected outrage over this drivel.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SW A-list
So what I'm reading suggests those in F have an almost boundless sense of entitlement be it confidentiality or otherwise. I'm shocked, shocked at this sense of entitlement! You're on a public transportation device. Open up to your lawer, therapist, or other paid "service" provider not an FA met on a freakin' plane. Give me a break...................
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:22 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
To quote the article, Katy Perry "...laughed hysterically". She needs to sue for that comment.
Okay I just picked Katy Perry as an example of actually mentioning names, but if you want to look at something that I think shouldn't be revealed...Grant Hackett wanting to pee inside the plane while having had "too many" stillnox.

It doesn't matter whether what is revealed is considered negative. Just the fact that it is being revealed by an ex-employee is bad enough.

As smit0847 notes, if QF isn't seen to expect high standards of judgement from its staff, it could bite them in the bum.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:03 am

It is generally a defence to 'libel', that the comment was in fact 'true'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.