Bye Bye to First SYD-HKG

Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I see several threads where QF uses the A380 on some flights in peak season between SYD<> HKG. Many posts here on FT state that it is a 4-class plane with only 3 class service.
Yet, on this page, http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/a380/global/en
it states that the A380 flies to HKG with the implication that 1st class is available.
Well, is 1st class available between SYD & HKG? I have an AONE4 that I would like to use between Asia and OZ in 1st if possible during the 2017/18 summer OZ season.
All QF A380s are four class planes, but have been operating as three class for the last couple of years since first was withdrawn on that route.

There is a rumour that first may come back to HKG on A380 flights, but this isn't showing on the QF booking engine at the moment. You'd need to keep an eye on this to see if that changes.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I see several threads where QF uses the A380 on some flights in peak season between SYD<> HKG. Many posts here on FT state that it is a 4-class plane with only 3 class service.
it states that the A380 flies to HKG with the implication that 1st class is available.
Well, is 1st class available between SYD & HKG? I have an AONE4 that I would like to use between Asia and OZ in 1st if possible during the 2017/18 summer OZ season.
No F is sold on SYD-HKG vv. Have you tried a dummy F booking for the date you want to confirm this is the case?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I have an AONE4 that I would like to use between Asia and OZ in 1st if possible during the 2017/18 summer OZ season.
Between Asia and Australia on Oneworld there is F on BA SIN-SYD and on JL (not sure if HND or NRT)-SYD.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
... and on JL (not sure if HND or NRT)-SYD.
Unfortunately not for not much longer will be discontinued with the 789. Not sure if it will come back.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:26 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
No. It used to be.

It is seasonal over Summer and Lunar New Year. Seats are blocked for status pax so your chance of getting in ZoneA is only if QF WP or OWE.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by m0hamed
No. It used to be.

It is seasonal over Summer and Lunar New Year. Seats are blocked for status pax so your chance of getting in ZoneA is only if QF WP or OWE.

So it's actually very good value for elite pax flying J? Have an F seat with J service & cost sounds great to me.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:25 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Ausriver
So it's actually very good value for elite pax flying J? Have an F seat with J service & cost sounds great to me.
Yes. And the worst thing that can happen is that you end up in a J seat with J service.

My first experience of this practice (putting lower class pax into a higher cabin but with lower class service) was >30 yrs ago on KL (AMS-AUH-CMB-MEL). It was an eye opening experience and helped direct the future efforts in sitting as far forward as possible.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: Qantas, Virgin
Good value if you are comparing Qantas J in J to Qantas J in F.

But looking at the hard product offered by some other airlines in J and F, Qantas is getting left behind. The Qantas F seat is *barely* ahead of some J seats. (And is miles behind other F seats and suites)
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
All QF A380s are four class planes, but have been operating as three class for the last couple of years since first was withdrawn on that route.

There is a rumour that first may come back to HKG on A380 flights, but this isn't showing on the QF booking engine at the moment. You'd need to keep an eye on this to see if that changes.
Based upon this thread, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...25-2018-a.html , it seems that 1st class may come back to HKG. Am I reading this correctly?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
I'd say if the A380s on SYD-HKG become permanent, strong possibility they will sell first as first.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:22 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moa999
I'd say if the A380s on SYD-HKG become permanent, strong possibility they will sell first as first.
SIN gets Zone A sold as F. HKG gets Zone A F sold as J.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
SIN gets Zone A sold as F. HKG gets Zone A F sold as J.
If A380 became permanent, they will sure sell F.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:53 am

If A380 became permanent, they will sure sell F.
Nice speculation but I have this on authority.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice speculation but I have this on authority.
This makes sense. CX can't make F work even with connections to Europe. I don't ever recall QF F being full when it terminated in HKG (as opposed to continuing to London), and CX F was only full once (with eight seats, and it was end of student exams). I suppose they can make more out of selling the extra seats in J.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:49 pm

It's precisely what they over Lunar NY.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.