Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bye Bye to First SYD-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Originally Posted by bustraveler
Well unfortunately it happened.....QF called and left me a voicemail regarding my flight in January. On hold now but pretty sure I'm getting downgraded on QF 128 on 19 Jan. Next call will be to American to get a refund of miles.
I had a flight on the A380 from SYD to HKG in early January. Got a call from QF--they kept me in the F cabin with J service, then called AA and received the miles difference from F to J, back.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
Just got call today re: downgrade to J for Dec flight (which I booked just to send parents on 380 in F... irritating but oh well)

Kept seats in F cabin & AA refunded point difference.

I asked the agent about the seats up front where they were seated and she said it was going to be biz-class skybeds with no suite enclosures. That doesn't seem accurate from everything else I've read. Hope she was simply mistaken.

Two questions for the QF experts on here (apologies if already asked..i missed it)
1. Are the differences in F & J offerings on this route material in your opinion? The most obvious one is the seat which hopefully will still be the same followed by amenity kit.
2. Are PJs/sleepsuits provided on QF127?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by mohan12
Just got call today re: downgrade to J for Dec flight (which I booked just to send parents on 380 in F... irritating but oh well)

I asked the agent about the seats up front where they were seated and she said it was going to be biz-class skybeds with no suite enclosures. That doesn't seem accurate from everything else I've read. Hope she was simply mistaken.

Two questions for the QF experts on here (apologies if already asked..i missed it)
1. Are the differences in F & J offerings on this route material in your opinion? The most obvious one is the seat which hopefully will still be the same followed by amenity kit.
I'm not sure about PJs in business class for the day flight - I think they are 'on request'.

The main differences aside from the seat is the food (much more extensive in F) and quality of drinks (again much better in F with top vintage Champagnes for example).

You may probably receive an old First class amenity kit - they are trying to use the last of their Payot ones now that they have new ones for F.

Easy to check if your seat has been retained in the F cabin - you should be seated in rows 1-5. It is a 1+1+1 configuration. A side is better if travelling alone (dedicated aisle). The aisle on the other side is shared between thge centre and window (K) seats, so better for a couple.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Quote:

I'm not sure about PJs in business class for the day flight - I think they are 'on request'.

The main differences aside from the seat is the food (much more extensive in F) and quality of drinks (again much better in F with top vintage Champagnes for example).

You may probably receive an old First class amenity kit - they are trying to use the last of their Payot ones now that they have new ones for F.

Easy to check if your seat has been retained in the F cabin - you should be seated in rows 1-5. It is a 1+1+1 configuration. A side is better if travelling alone (dedicated aisle). The aisle on the other side is shared between thge centre and window (K) seats, so better for a couple.
I don't think F amenity kits will be provided at all in a J service. FWIW I've personally not seen any Payot kits being handed out in F for a long time.
PJ's are definitely handed out in F on QF127 not sure about J but agree that they are likely at least available on request as many people like to hang suits etc if travelling for work.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Princess fiona
I don't think F amenity kits will be provided at all in a J service. FWIW I've personally not seen any Payot kits being handed out in F for a long time.
PJ's are definitely handed out in F on QF127 not sure about J but agree that they are likely at least available on request as many people like to hang suits etc if travelling for work.
I have read several reports where the old Payot kits are being used up for biz class. Not sure how many of them they have left though, or on which routes they are being used.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:58 am

I have read several reports where the old Payot kits are being used up for biz class. Not sure how many of them they have left though, or on which routes they are being used.
They were being issued on QF23 / QF24 as recently as April.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess fiona

Apologies, misunderstood your post as Amenity kits for F
I haven't had any old F kits given out travelling J on the routes I fly ( DXB/LHR/LAX/HKG) although I wouldn't mind them at all
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
Has anyone flown 127/128 lately? Have they kept the F seats on the 380 even though they are no longer providing F service/amenities?

Flying in 2A on 127 next week and curious what seat to look forward to
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone flown 127/128 lately? Have they kept the F seats on the 380 even though they are no longer providing F service/amenities?

Flying in 2A on 127 next week and curious what seat to look forward to
the plane is a 4-class operating as 3-class.

According to the QF press release, their top elites flying business class will, subject to availability, be entitled to select first class seats (with business class service).

If you are unable to select one of those seats before departure, wouldn't hurt to ask at check-in if you can have one. But don't get your hopes up.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Unless it is a special seasonal flight, A380 no longer operates HKG-SYD. The A380 stopped on the day they began A380 service to DFW.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Unless it is a special seasonal flight, A380 no longer operates HKG-SYD. The A380 stopped on the day they began A380 service to DFW.
it's seasonal. Will be operating later this month and next year.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Just got the call from Platinum One that the SYD-HKG 388 I was flying (in the F seat) has been downgauged to a 744. So from 388 in F to a 744 in the old school J.

C'est la vie - it's a reward ticket. But not the best Christmas present, Qantas.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: QF Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYCOllie
Just got the call from Platinum One that the SYD-HKG 388 I was flying (in the F seat) has been downgauged to a 744. So from 388 in F to a 744 in the old school J.

C'est la vie - it's a reward ticket. But not the best Christmas present, Qantas.
Unlikely to be old J seat, if it is then you will be placed in the old F cabin.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Chose to fly CX instead.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:05 am

I see several threads where QF uses the A380 on some flights in peak season between SYD<> HKG. Many posts here on FT state that it is a 4-class plane with only 3 class service.
Yet, on this page, http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/a380/global/en
it states that the A380 flies to HKG with the implication that 1st class is available.
Well, is 1st class available between SYD & HKG? I have an AONE4 that I would like to use between Asia and OZ in 1st if possible during the 2017/18 summer OZ season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.