Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bye Bye to First SYD-HKG

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
This has all been reported in the Guess who is bringing an A380 to DFW thread.
QF has confirmed to be the first A380 operator to DFW.
I thought it was EK. (haven't been following thread, admittedly).
Old May 25, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by seanp7
I thought it was EK. (haven't been following thread, admittedly).
It was until QF recently announced changes to the MEL-DBX-LHR timings and also the introduction of A380 SYD-DFW on the 29 September beating EK by a few days.
Announcement at the Qantas Newsroom.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt, SPG Platinum
I contacted AA about my HKG - SYD flight. F is zero'd out and all seats in F are blocked off except mine. The rep thinks my F seat will be honored by QF based upon what they have seen - said I might get J class meal service but they haven't received any definitive communications from QF. So for now, I'm feeling fortunate and will see what happens. Having the whole F cabin to myself would be pretty amazing.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:49 am

Wow. Just wow. Glad I ran across this thread. I have an AA award flight booked for Nov 26, supposedly in QF First. I just checked my reservation and it shows I'm in business. One of the reasons I booked this flight was to experience the QF First lounge in SYD. Guess I'll call AA to see what they'll do for me. No notice, no refund of miles, nothing.
Thanks to FT, I won't show up and be disappointed.
Edit: And, after checking on line, no One World carrier has first class SYD-HKG. Gonna have to some research to see if I'll just go with the QF business. I saved a lot of miles and did a lot of research to get first class back from Australia (I have CX first from HKG to SFO). Thought my research was done 5 months ago. Sigh.

Last edited by wanna go now; Jun 7, 2014 at 1:33 pm
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by bustraveler
I contacted AA about my HKG - SYD flight. F is zero'd out and all seats in F are blocked off except mine. The rep thinks my F seat will be honored by QF based upon what they have seen - said I might get J class meal service but they haven't received any definitive communications from QF. So for now, I'm feeling fortunate and will see what happens. Having the whole F cabin to myself would be pretty amazing.
The F cabin most likely will be full. There are lots of QF high elites and OW emeralds flying business class that will move, or be moved, to F seats.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:51 am

Can you all help me out here? My first class from SYD to HKG being gone, I started checking for alternatives. The point is, I want to experience international first class on something other than a U.S. carrier. The only other option is to change to SYD-BKK-HKG on Thai Airways. Should I do that? Or just stick with QF business?
Thanks!!!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by wanna go now
Can you all help me out here? My first class from SYD to HKG being gone, I started checking for alternatives. The point is, I want to experience international first class on something other than a U.S. carrier. The only other option is to change to SYD-BKK-HKG on Thai Airways. Should I do that? Or just stick with QF business?
Thanks!!!
While QF J to HKG is quite adequate, if you're wanting a first class 'experience' and you have the time, then TG via BKK would be the way to go.
Or, perhaps, SQ via SIN.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:15 pm

The TG via BKK was available when I checked, SQ via SIN was not. Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:37 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by DH188
While QF J to HKG is quite adequate, if you're wanting a first class 'experience' and you have the time, then TG via BKK would be the way to go.
Or, perhaps, SQ via SIN.
Only some TG flights between BKK and HKG have F, and similarly only some SQ flights between SIN and HKG have F.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Thanks!!!
Are you using one world miles? TG is not a partner. So you'll need to find star alliance points somewhere.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:14 pm

Thanks!!!
BA sells F SYD-SIN if you can get space, and then CX SIN-HKG. CX sells F on some HKG-SIN flights but equipment swaps to no-F flights are very common on the HKG-SIN sector.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Top of climb
BA sells F SYD-SIN if you can get space, and then CX SIN-HKG. CX sells F on some HKG-SIN flights but equipment swaps to no-F flights are very common on the HKG-SIN sector.
Very very common. It happened to me a few months ago

Except on a couple of routes (HND once a day, PEK via Dragonair, etc) you can't rely on an Asia regional F seat at all with CX. Don't believe it until your arse touches the F cushion. It's their major flaw in my opinion.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:00 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by flatlander
Very very common. It happened to me a few months ago

Except on a couple of routes (HND once a day, PEK via Dragonair, etc) you can't rely on an Asia regional F seat at all with CX. Don't believe it until your arse touches the F cushion. It's their major flaw in my opinion.
On dates that I've looked CX has two daily HKG-HND flights that offer F.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt, SPG Platinum
Well unfortunately it happened.....QF called and left me a voicemail regarding my flight in January. On hold now but pretty sure I'm getting downgraded on QF 128 on 19 Jan. Next call will be to American to get a refund of miles.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Just had what will probably be my last F SYD-HKG flight on the A380. Great flight with excellent cabin service and good food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.