Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF22 NRT-SYD J catering downgrade - permanent? (vs JQ)

QF22 NRT-SYD J catering downgrade - permanent? (vs JQ)

Old May 11, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I would hope so as the folded paper swan always gets too soggy when put in the miso soup
Are you reading origami or onigiri?
Old May 12, 2014, 11:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by hotpaws
Actually I do believe there was a Japanese breakfast option as well. Do not recall what it was, but more substantial than miso soup and onigiri.
I think it might be direction-dependent. I recall seeing miso soup and onigiri for NRT-SYD but something more substantial in the other direction.

I don't know if SYD-NRT catering has been downgraded or not (it sounds like the evening meal has indeed been downgraded, based on what was reported in this thread, although breakfast seems to have remained intact, as it always was), although NRT-SYD that I flew definitely had the major catering downgrade. I do not think there was even a room service-style breakfast.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Hey LTN Phobia, did you mention anything on board or afterwards? I know you're not the complaining type, but if no one says anything then it's unlikely to change. What tends to get more of a reaction is if you complain to Neil Perry (twitter/insta/fb), I know he gets unhappy when QF dumb down his food by stripping the budget, and he is more likely to try and improve it than QF are.
Old May 13, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justin_krusty
Hey LTN Phobia, did you mention anything on board or afterwards? I know you're not the complaining type, but if no one says anything then it's unlikely to change. What tends to get more of a reaction is if you complain to Neil Perry (twitter/insta/fb), I know he gets unhappy when QF dumb down his food by stripping the budget, and he is more likely to try and improve it than QF are.
I did express my surprise to the cabin crew member but I did not present it as a complaint because there was nothing they could do about it and I did not want to embarrass them either.

I suppose it's not so much about the food quality but the type/quantity of food on offer, NP may not be able to have much influence?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Has anyone flew NRT-SYD recently ?
Is the catering still of a substandard ?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Nizar
I'm on QF22 in a month.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:40 pm

What I find perplexing is that;
- On this flight, Y get a choice of Hot Western or Hot Japanese breakfast
- In J from PVG (similar flight length), the flight has the full breakfast offering

.......so why does QF offer a lesser service in J on QF22? It is bizarre.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by Nizar
Yes - my worst QF food experience unfortunately, but I was in Y.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:19 am
Original Poster

I still cannot get over the fact that JQ stuff your face with a lot of food in *class (I know it's an old name but I just cannot bring myself to calling it Business) between NRT and Australia, yet QF J to SYD, which cost a lot more and around the same departure time as JQ OOL or CNS, feed you a tiny amount of food.

I suppose QF J is a bed class and JQ *class is eating class (the food isn't terrible either, although not wonderful).
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by klymen
Yes - my worst QF food experience unfortunately, but I was in Y.
Oh, you've never been in J on QF24 from Bangkok to Sydney then...
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:30 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
We went to Macca's after disembarking QF24 in J. That should tell you something..
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
We went to Macca's after disembarking QF24 in J. That should tell you something..
I loathe Maccas, will only go there on special "Hangover" days, but I should have done the same thing both before and after QF24.

My experience here, following a wonderful flight with Finnair from CDG to BKK, then on to the most lacklustre J flight I've ever taken.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
My experience here, following a wonderful flight with Finnair from CDG to BKK, then on to the most lacklustre J flight I've ever taken.
What's a "flight"? Don't you mean a bounce?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: Free agent
True, and the food on last night's MEL-SYD came very close, but I don't really count domestic food.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
What's a "flight"? Don't you mean a bounce?
ah, how I miss Mandraskim - I do hope she takes another flight again soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.