Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF22 NRT-SYD J catering downgrade - permanent? (vs JQ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF22 NRT-SYD J catering downgrade - permanent? (vs JQ)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
QF22 is now considered a 'supper flight' - it a very similar menu with equally small serves for the QF West bound transpacific flights (QF12, QF8 etc.) - you really need to eat before boarding.
Old May 6, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

If QF really wants to do supper flights then they should do them properly - advertise it as a sleeper flight, lights out immediately, small snack if wanted or hot choc & cookies. No wake up for stupid cafe breakfast 2 hours out, just ditch breakfast altogether and build an arrivals lounge where one can shower and get a decent breakfast. ie: like BA do it, where it works well.

I've brought this up at a AFF QFF Neil Perry event before when they said SIN is a sleeper style flight (as an excuse for the food) and I said do it like BA and give us an arrivals lounge then. QF people looked bewildered by that.
Old May 6, 2014, 5:30 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

If QF really wants to do supper flights then they should do them properly - advertise it as a sleeper flight, lights out immediately, small snack if wanted or hot choc & cookies. No wake up for stupid cafe breakfast 2 hours out, just ditch breakfast altogether and build an arrivals lounge where one can shower and get a decent breakfast. ie: like BA do it, where it works well.

I've brought this up at a AFF QFF Neil Perry event before when they said SIN is a sleeper style flight (as an excuse for the food) and I said do it like BA and give us an arrivals lounge then. QF people looked bewildered by that.
The 2 hr wake up for a light breakfast has turned me away from QF flights from Asia. Others (CX and TG) can do it 90 min prior and then they (the crew) have time to hang around afterwards before approach.
Old May 6, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
On the Thai flights I have even slept through breakfast, woke up less than 60 minutes before landing and they have brought the full meal out to me which I have eaten and cleaned up with 30 minutes to go before touch down.

I would love to know if any of this stuff actually has an effect on bookings though. On FF sites all of this gets debated frequently, but unless it is having a negative affect on bookings Qantas will keep reducing the service offered.
Old May 6, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If QF really wants to do supper flights then they should do them properly - advertise it as a sleeper flight, lights out immediately, small snack if wanted or hot choc & cookies. ....
Without advertising, they actually try to do this these days.

On QF16 last month the FA's seemed to be in a rush to serve PAX and encourage them to sleep. Since I like to spend at least three hours awake on such flights before going to sleep roughly 9pm-10pm Melbourne/Sydney time this does not suit me at all.
Old May 6, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
It was not even a big plate. It was very small, and there was hardly anything in it other than noodles.

My seat neighbour ordered something else and it was equally small and plain, although I cannot remember what it was. Basically, all selections were just small snacks. That is what surprised me - there was basically nothing substantial to eat. Those who had not had dinner (since the flight departed at 1950, you would expect to be served dinner) will have had a nasty surprise. Luckily I had a bit to eat at the JL lounge, so I was not left very hungry, mainly just intrigued.
That sounds terrible. Unless something was advertised as sleeper service, I wouldn't expect a 1950 departure to not be serving dinner.

I'm not a fan of the whole large plate small plate thing either. Just serve a full meal, I'm big enough to decide when I've had enough or if I only want a main, entree, dessert, cheese etc.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd
I'm not a fan of the whole large plate small plate thing either. Just serve a full meal, I'm big enough to decide when I've had enough or if I only want a main, entree, dessert, cheese etc.
With these 'supper' services, the "plates" are not designated "large" or "small".

They are just basically small!

With Q-Eats, on designated "Lunch/Dinner" flights you can choose two items on-line.

With these supper services, it's only one.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
With these 'supper' services, the "plates" are not designated "large" or "small".

They are just basically small!

With Q-Eats, on designated "Lunch/Dinner" flights you can choose two items on-line.

With these supper services, it's only one.
Oh yeah, I get that. I know Joyce is insistent of wringing every last buck out of QFi but how much does a meal cost in the grand scheme of the average J price ticket?

What's next? Picking up a David Jones Chrisco hamper in the lounge to eat on board.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: QF
No chance of getting a meal in the J lounge. Only 4 pieces of sushi were bought out at a time. Well there was soup of some sort.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by blutek
No chance of getting a meal in the J lounge. Only 4 pieces of sushi were bought out at a time. Well there was soup of some sort.
Don't go there. Go to the JL lounge where there is a little more to eat than that.

The thing with BA though is that even on a designated sleeper flight you can get far more food than you can on QF22! It's a much better service (and no slope bed).

I doubt SYD would ever have an arrivals lounge and I'm sort of lucky in that I almost invariably have a connecting flight so I head off to the domestic J lounge and have a shower and breakfast. But for those heading straight to work, this service QF is doing is really not a good thing (breakfast offering was something not even worth waking up for so I ignored the fact it existed and slept).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; May 8, 2014 at 12:57 am
Old May 8, 2014, 12:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by travelislife

I would love to know if any of this stuff actually has an effect on bookings though. On FF sites all of this gets debated frequently, but unless it is having a negative affect on bookings Qantas will keep reducing the service offered.
I am not sure about this route as it's a bit of a 'funny' one without a lot of competition.

QF 21 leaves SYD at night. JL 772 (the only direct competitor) leaves SYD in the morning.

Leaving SYD in the morning is probably a bad thing for business people except if they are travelling on a weekend. It's certainly bad for connecting passengers as it leaves too early to get there on the same day (it rules it out for me unless I have schedule flexibility to go to SYD the night before).

JQ 11/25 leaves OOL/CNS in the morning. You can potentially connect to it from elsewhere, e.g. SYD but the lack of beds is bad.

Both QF 22/JL 711 leave NRT within 10 min of each other. JQ 12/26 also leave NRT at night to OOL/CNS respectively, not far off the departure time of QF 22/ JL 711. Of course, the lack of beds on JQ is a major issue on that flight.

If there is a way of combining QF21 and JL771 and get a reasonable fare, it's a decent option (old JL J seat is a bit worse than the QF ones IMO but not that much worse). Otherwise, there isn't a good alternative as far as I'm concerned. So, perhaps not a lot of impact on the load (due to lack of alternatives) and it might be the reason why they target this flight with catering downgrade despite a relatively early departure.
Old May 11, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: QFF Platinum
Having just come off QF21 (SYD - NRT) this morning, I was quite surprised to get a full breakfast on this flight. Supper was served after take off, with a choice of 4 dishes (I declined as I had a 4 course meal in the First Lounge), and then the room service style menu for breakfast, served not at any set time, but when you woke up. Options were Cereal, Fruit and yoghurt, bakery items, juice or smoothie, and hot option. The two hot options were Scrambled eggs on brioche with bacon, beans and mushrooms, or pancakes with fruit (apologies, I don't remember exactly what). I have to admit, I was expecting the dreaded café style breakfast.
I am hoping this is an across the board improvement on Asian routes, but will have to wait and see. Returning NRT - SYD on Thursday night, then SYD - BKK return in July.
Old May 11, 2014, 6:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hotpaws
Having just come off QF21 (SYD - NRT) this morning, I was quite surprised to get a full breakfast on this flight. Supper was served after take off, with a choice of 4 dishes (I declined as I had a 4 course meal in the First Lounge), and then the room service style menu for breakfast, served not at any set time, but when you woke up. Options were Cereal, Fruit and yoghurt, bakery items, juice or smoothie, and hot option. The two hot options were Scrambled eggs on brioche with bacon, beans and mushrooms, or pancakes with fruit (apologies, I don't remember exactly what). I have to admit, I was expecting the dreaded café style breakfast.
I am hoping this is an across the board improvement on Asian routes, but will have to wait and see. Returning NRT - SYD on Thursday night, then SYD - BKK return in July.
They used to have a Jap style breakfast for nrt-SYD with miso soup and onigiri
Old May 11, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: QFF Platinum
Originally Posted by correctioncx
Actually I do believe there was a Japanese breakfast option as well. Do not recall what it was, but more substantial than miso soup and onigiri.
Old May 11, 2014, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by correctioncx
Originally Posted by hotpaws
Actually I do believe there was a Japanese breakfast option as well. Do not recall what it was, but more substantial than miso soup and onigiri.
I would hope so as the folded paper swan always gets too soggy when put in the miso soup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.