Wiki Posts
Search

QF reward booking to Tokyo - HELP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

QF reward booking to Tokyo - HELP

Hi everyone!

I am about to buy my tickets from Sydney to Tokyo using my QF FF points.
I know that you can purchase these tickets 353 days in advance... I can see the furthest day I could get a ticket for at the moment in the 1st of April 2015. The problem is that when I go to actually buy the ticket, I only get tickets up to the 18th of March 2015. I also know they haven't sold them out as I waited till midnight to see if they would release them and they did not.
Does any of you know if there is a "black out" period during which QF won't release rewards tickets? Easter 2015 will be on the 5th of April and school holidays will be between the 3rd and 20th of April... could this affect the release of reward tickets? It just seems like an awfully large period of time: from after the 18th of March... when Easter is on the 5th of April!
Any advice?
THANKS! :-)
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Are you looking for one-way or return? Is it possible that your outbound date is OK but your return date is too far in advance?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Easter is a peak travel time. Awards are not available of every flight. Someone else may have already got any awards. Can you buy a ticket, in the class you want, on your chosen day for cash? [Just do not complete the transaction]

Your other thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...lp-needed.html
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Hi again!
Thanks for your replies!
I will be stopping in Japan as a long stopover on my way to Milan where I am planning to stay for a month. That being the case, I am looking at getting my reward tickets to and back from Tokyo on 2 separate transactions (or I would need to wait until the second date before I could purchase the return ticket, which would be risky as by then I may not be able to find any ticket to go to Tokyo on the date/s I have in mind). Hope it makes sense.
The QF site lets me "buy" the ticket for the 1st of April, but there are no reward economy tickets after the 18th of March. I checked at midnight and they did not release any tickets for the 1st of April (the latest day I could get up till now). I thought it may be because of Easter... but it's over 2 weeks away (on the 5th of April)... Do airlines usually stop giving away reward tickets so much time before a holiday?
Thanks! :-)
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: OW Emerald
It sounds like there is simply no availability for your desired dates.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:37 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I'm moving this to the QFF board for further comments.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
If you can stomach the terrible seating and rotten service of Jetstar, there's a daily flight from OOL. No point using QF points for economy class as the stinking "taxes" on the award would be more than the regular fare, even possibly more than the "star" class fare (premium-economy seats at the front). And no rush to buy Jetstar tickets, wait for rock-botto fares on special.

And be sure to get travel insurance, Jetstar has dreadful IRROPS handling and has a habit of stranding passengers in strange places in the middle of the night.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:36 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by harryhv
?..
And be sure to get travel insurance, Jetstar has dreadful IRROPS handling and has a habit of stranding passengers in strange places in the middle of the night.
Ie- never fly on the last flight of the day if it is with JetStar - unless you have a full phone charge. You don't need a flat battery when making calls for hotels, car hire, family when the flight is delayed / cancelled.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:54 pm

Why the fixation with QF? Go for JL, plenty of availability (for when it releases) but only bookable over the phone.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
As stated JL award booking requires a phone call to QFF. However you can search online using Awardnexus (free until allowance used up) or by joining JL loyalty club (also free).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.