Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Advice for which sides to choose for sunrise/sunset views

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Flying coach on a couple of flights. Please correct me if I'm wrong on whether the left/right sides are the best for sunrise/sunset views for these flights:

QF 36 SIN-MEL (2130 - 0630) - Left
QF 420 MEL-SYD (0930 - 1055) - Right
QF 5 SYD-SIN (1510 - 2120) - Left

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Bravocharlie; Apr 12, 2014 at 11:17 am
Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
For QF36 depending on time of the year you might not see the sun rise as you might land too early for that. For the next few months this will be the case. QF420 won't also have any sunrise views as the sun will be up for hours already. Now in regards to QF5 you are correct. However, if you sit on the right you will see the land (or sea) below illuminated in the sunset light which also isn't too bad. Weather and location permitting of course.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:36 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
[QUOTE=Bravocharlie;22693823
QF 36 SIN-MEL (2130 - 0630) - Left
QF 420 MEL-SYD (0930 - 1055) - Right
QF 5 SYD-SIN (1510 - 2120) - Left
[/QUOTE]

SIN-MEL: correct - but in winter it may still be dark for arrival
MEL-SYD: correct - but the sun will already have risen 2 to 4 hrs earlier - so you'll only get a sunny glare through the window (not so nice - you might be better off on the shady side). Best views of Sydney city from the left for a landing on RW16. If on RW34, then your views will be of the coast and the Bay (check out FlightAware to see the typical landing patterns - wind dependent).
SYD-SIN: you'll certainly get the sunset on the left but, depending on the time of the year, you will probably get the sun on the right for the first hour or so of the flight. The crew up front get to look at the sun directly. IMHO this flight will give the nicest views over the outback especially the sand dune country in the centre where the low sun angle should make the pattern of the dunes quite spectacular.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by og
SIN-MEL: correct - but in winter it may still be dark for arrival
MEL-SYD: correct - but the sun will already have risen 2 to 4 hrs earlier - so you'll only get a sunny glare through the window (not so nice - you might be better off on the shady side). Best views of Sydney city from the left for a landing on RW16. If on RW34, then your views will be of the coast and the Bay (check out FlightAware to see the typical landing patterns - wind dependent).
SYD-SIN: you'll certainly get the sunset on the left but, depending on the time of the year, you will probably get the sun on the right for the first hour or so of the flight. The crew up front get to look at the sun directly. IMHO this flight will give the nicest views over the outback especially the sand dune country in the centre where the low sun angle should make the pattern of the dunes quite spectacular.
Oh my. Thank you so much guys.

og, the SYD-SIN flight would give me great views of the sand dunes regardless of which side I am at right? Would it be wiser to choose the side where the sun is setting or the other? Saw a couple of photos in airliners.net taken at the right side and it seems likely to get a view overlooking Sydney downtown right after departure as well as bright orange glows from the setting sun!

Also, does it mean it's worth a shot choosing the left side for the MEL-SYD route since there's a chance the plane will land on RWY 16?

Thanks!

Last edited by Bravocharlie; Apr 12, 2014 at 9:21 pm
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:24 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bravocharlie
..... the SYD-SIN flight would give me great views of the sand dunes regardless of which side I am at right? Would it be wiser to choose the side where the sun is setting or the other? Saw a couple of photos in airliners.net taken at the right side and it seems likely to get a view overlooking Sydney downtown right after departure as well as bright orange glows from the setting sun!.......Also, does it mean it's worth a shot choosing the left side for the MEL-SYD route since there's a chance the plane will land on RWY 16?
I'd opt for the side away from the setting sun. At sun-set, the dunes should cast a shadow which will make them stand out (the dunes otherwise may be hard to see). Of course cloud or haze may spoil your day. But then again, looking at the setting sun - especially with nice clouds beats any IFE system.

The best Sydney city view for arrivals will be on a southerly approach - therefor a seat on the left is best. Make sure you are well away from the wing. If you land to the north, then your view will be "suburban".
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Yes, I have found ground viewing to be generally far better on a window away from the sun.

To be honest I actively avoid the sun 'side' where I can as even with the shade closed it can be like a flat plastic radiator when the sun is shining on it.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:23 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
To be honest I actively avoid the sun 'side' where I can as even with the shade closed it can be like a flat plastic radiator when the sun is shining on it.
I tried that on the Concorde in 2002 - but even the shady side window was warm. ( sorry - couldn't resist )
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Flight paths

Planes do not always follow the same flight path all the time.
They also follow the wind and what ever direction ATC instructs.
I also do like window seats, and my flights ADL SYD, do not always follow the same flight path. I have also had myself been moved from a window seat. They do say seating is not guaranteed due to operational or security reasons.
For SYD, sometimes it can come in over the sea, sometimes it comes in over land, facing the sea.
Take off is the same.
ADL MEL arrivals, sometimes it's over the Tullamarine old cemetery, sometimes it's not.
MEL ADL can also be land arrivals, or over Gulf St Vincent's.
Best of luck anyway. Just being able to just get a window seat 100% of the time will be the bonus.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:40 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
I also do like window seats, and my flights ADL SYD, do not always follow the same flight path. I have also had myself been moved from a window seat. They do say seating is not guaranteed due to operational or security reasons.
For SYD, sometimes it can come in over the sea, sometimes it comes in over land, facing the sea.
Take off is the same.
ADL MEL arrivals, sometimes it's over the Tullamarine old cemetery, sometimes it's not.
MEL ADL can also be land arrivals, or over Gulf St Vincent's.
Best of luck anyway. Just being able to just get a window seat 100% of the time will be the bonus.
With all due respect, the above reply doesn't answer the OP's question. The question was about sunrise and sunset and which runways are in use has no bearing on this.

Routings are generally correct as the rough direction of travel is fixed in cruise, i.e to get SIN to SYD, you have to travel SE or some slight variant of that.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
With all due respect, the above reply doesn't answer the OP's question.
With all respect due to AustralianPoochie, we're now getting used to seeing replies like this.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:30 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Try this website: http://sunflight.net/

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
Do you ever read what you've posted and the actual topic of the thread?

Unless the aircraft fly the long way via the poles or the rotation of the earth changes, SIN-MEL for example will always be flown mostly south-east with sunrise on the left of the aircraft.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:39 pm

I used to book window seats to try catch sunrises and sunsets and be able to enjoy the view if it was a dayflight, but the problem is the crew always come and tell me to put my shade back down as the other blinds are all down and other passengers are trying to sleep so I never got to see the lovely view I had paid for! I normally cant sleep so staring out the window is a great way to passtime while listening to music.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:51 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shamrock55
I used to book window seats to try catch sunrises and sunsets and be able to enjoy the view if it was a dayflight, but the problem is the crew always come and tell me to put my shade back down as the other blinds are all down and other passengers are trying to sleep so I never got to see the lovely view I had paid for! I normally cant sleep so staring out the window is a great way to passtime while listening to music.
Just put the shade down when the crew do the rounds - then lift it again afterwards. Some views are stunning - so long as the sun is not shining directly on someone who is (trying to) sleep. My favourite being a westbound flight from Europe crossing the E coast of Greenland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.