Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas changes to Fuel Surcharge (YQ) Application

Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond

"Qantas is changing the way it applies Fuel Surcharge (YQ).

From 7 May 2014 the fuel surcharge on Qantas flights* will be calculated based on the point of origin of the itinerary instead of the country where the ticket is issued. The fuel surcharge will be applied in the currency of the country where the itinerary originates, then converted to the local currency in the ticketing country using the exchange rate applicable at the time of ticketing.

There will be no change to the Qantas fuel surcharge levels where tickets are issued in the same country as the point of origin.

Tickets issued in a country different to where the itinerary originates may see a change to the Qantas fuel surcharge levels."

From: http://www.qantas.com.au/agents/dyn/qf/news/201404/0413

So I guess for those in the know, that means no more Expedia fares
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by jozdemir
So I guess for those in the know, that means no more Expedia fares
I didn't know that this was still working.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Swings and roundabouts, when there was a sale on it still worked well to certain markets
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:03 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
It still prices SYD-LAX but not SYD-NAN both on QF codes.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expect QF will get more $$$, not less from this change. If they forecast less they would not do it. The comments Qantas have made in the annual reports over the years on fuel hedging is interesting compared to what the ticket prices are. My conclusion "actual fuel cost is nothing to do with ticket fuel surcharges"
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
There were some routes (ISTR ex Ireland for example) where this was still working.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Looks like QF is looking for every penny it can get!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by avm2806
Looks like QF is looking for every penny it can get!
They're looking for every penny that they should've gotten in the first place.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I may be confused, but I was under the impression that Brazil did not permit the sale of air tickets where the base fare did not include any "fuel fines". A result being the ability to purchase those QF fares much more economically.

As I understand the new policy, QF will add the "fuel fines" based on the flight segment rather than the point of sale. My thinking says that QF tickets can no longer be sold in Brazil.

Where am I wrong as I wander?

Fred
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I may be confused, but I was under the impression that Brazil did not permit the sale of air tickets where the base fare did not include any "fuel fines". A result being the ability to purchase those QF fares much more economically.

As I understand the new policy, QF will add the "fuel fines" based on the flight segment rather than the point of sale. My thinking says that QF tickets can no longer be sold in Brazil.

Where am I wrong as I wander?

Fred
I think the actual law in Brazil only technically applies to fares originating in Brazil, a few airlines just didn't implement their fares that way.

So the way I interpret it is that with these changes Qantas can scoot around the mistake they made...possibly?

I guess we'll find out!
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jozdemir
I think the actual law in Brazil only technically applies to fares originating in Brazil, a few airlines just didn't implement their fares that way.
Indeed. One or two bloggers have picked up on this in the past. e.g. in View fro the Wing http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...sharing-deals/

Brazil has a law that says fuel surcharges cannot be added to tickets departing that country. As a result, airlines usually file higher fares without those surcharges for Brazil departures. Qantas, however, had their fares filed incorrectly such that any ticket purchased in Brazil priced out without fuel surcharges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.