Wiki Posts
Search

Call Button Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Diamond,
Call Button Etiquette

Rookie question here. I've historically done 99% of my flying in economy. Last October, I flew J LAX-MEL on QF. Mid-flight, if I wanted a drink or a snack, I would go to the small galley area just behind the J mini cabin and lavs on the A380. It wasn't well stocked and was usually busy with FAs chatting. If I wanted a Coke Zero or something I would ask, but was made to feel like I was interrupting and an annoyance.

On the flight over, I just assumed it was a crabby crew. On the flight back I encountered similar attitudes. This leads me to my question. Do the FAs prefer the call button be rang and an order given? Honestly, I don't want to be a bother, and perhaps it's because of my legacy US economy class carrier upbringing, I was under the impression you didn't ring the call light unless you needed something urgently or couldn't leave your seat for some reason. Historically I've witnessed FA responses to the call light be met with annoyance, if addressed at all, on US carriers.

I have additional QF flights coming up (mix of F and J) and would be interested to get your feedback.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: MP 1P, QF Silver, WN CP, HH Diamond, PC Spire, SBUX Gold
I feel the same way. When I sit next to irregular travelers who push the call button while playing with the remote (AVOD systems) or hit it accidentally on the arm rest. I'd ask them if they meant to call the flight attendant over, so far all have been mistakes and I had to help them switch it off.

It really depends on the FAs, just like anywhere you go, its the people that can make or break your experience. Better a great conversation over hot dogs than an awful one at a nice restaurant. Having said that, you are flying QF and the people there are going through a fair bit (job cuts, etc) its only human nature for them to maybe not be in the best of moods or be extremely helpful and courteous.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by xaliasx
I feel the same way. When I sit next to irregular travelers who push the call button while playing with the remote (AVOD systems) or hit it accidentally on the arm rest. I'd ask them if they meant to call the flight attendant over, so far all have been mistakes and I had to help them switch it off.

It really depends on the FAs, just like anywhere you go, its the people that can make or break your experience. Better a great conversation over hot dogs than an awful one at a nice restaurant. Having said that, you are flying QF and the people there are going through a fair bit (job cuts, etc) its only human nature for them to maybe not be in the best of moods or be extremely helpful and courteous.
That makes sense. It was just a bit odd, after all I had read on here and other review sites about how great the QF J experience was, it was something of a surprise. Hopefully my next experiences are better.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some carriers have official rules that you're only supposed to be served alcohol when you're in your seat, so it shouldn't be self service. On long haul premium cabin flights, I hit the call button if the seat belt sign is on or if I'm trapped a tray table, but I prefer to visit the snack array myself to see what looks tempting. I also like to get up and stretch during long flights.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:34 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by thom1033

I have additional QF flights coming up (mix of F and J) and would be interested to get your feedback.
Just try using the call button on a CX flight in F or J and see how many nano seconds it takes for a FA to appear ..
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
It's like all the other buttons and switches in your little area of space, they are there for your use.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The button is there to be used in F, J or Y

I expect a fast response (Less than 1 minute) in F or J and less than 5 minutes in Y

Use the button and don't feel bad!

Crew on Qantas A380's have no reason to feel scared about their jobs, all their jobs are safe it's those on the 767 and 747 that I would expect service to be less than outstanding because it's a matter of months or a year or three before they are out of a job and/or have to work for about 1/2 the current pay they are receiving.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
I've found QF flight crew happy to respond to the call button. I wonder if sometimes they prefer it to pax coming to the galley when some are trying to eat as well as chat amongst themselves.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
After being a regular QF flyer for 20 years and a thousand odd segments I refer to those as the "Ignore" button.

It is a generalisation I know, but on the occasional time it does get responded to immediately I can be pleasantly surprised.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, QF Silver
In my experience it comes down the the crew. I have had flights in J and Y where the crew were more than happy for you to head into the back and others where it felt very much like you were an annoyance. Personally, I don't really care if I annoy them, I am very polite, please / thank you etc but if I want something I will go in and ask....

My fav experience in a galley was on Qantas...I walk into it, and there are 4 crew at the back, sitting there talking to themselves....at least two of them look over to me, where I make eye contact, but they keep on talking. After a good 2 minutes of standing there staring at them I decided to help myself. There was a container of juice so I picked it up and started to pour some into a cup.....At which point one of the crew looked over and said (in an angry voice) "Just help YOURSELF why don't you".....I did, and walked out....
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Originally Posted by og
Just try using the call button on a CX flight in F or J and see how many nano seconds it takes for a FA to appear ..
+1 - they are amazing about it and leave you alone in premium cabins but expect you to use the call button - they even call it the service button on the ife screen...
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Yep CX are amongst the best in my experience. Often they appear almost as by ESP.... bu tnot in a bad way.

I am a rare user of the button. I know it's there for me to use. I know I've paid for it one way or another, but somehow I admit I am one of those who is reluctant to use it at times. I don't know why because it doesn't make sense.. I think maybe I don't want to be one of those demanding SOB's wanting stuff every few minutes. I don't know. I guess it's just my personality.

Some airline crews (not specific to QF here) also CAN make you feel like you're taking up their valuable time wanting a drink or snack. Others are wonderful. That's human nature I guess.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Exclamation

I find that the carriers (eg CX, SQ) that are most responsive to call buttons are the ones where the call button is least needed (due to regular cabin patrols, where they actually walk slowly and look at or even make eye contact with passengers). The ones where I feel I do need to press it are the ones that do rare patrols and when they do just walk at lightning speed without making any serious attempt to see if passengers want anything. These are also slow at responding. I don't fly QF much anymore, but when I did most of the time I'd put their cabin crew in the latter category, so wouldn't feel guilty pressing the call button.

Just remember on some airlines the crew are there for you "safety and comfort", whilst on others they are only there for your "safety"!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
I've long been in the 'reluctant' group when it comes to using the call button, despite knowing I should be able to without any sense of being a bother to anyone. But clearly some crew treat it a such, and it can be an unpleasant little moment, which most of us I think would rather avoid.

I tend to try and get someone's attention as they are walking past, but as posted up-thread, they sometimes travel very quickly and don't really bother to look side-to-side as they go.

I did travel a few years ago MEL-PER with a mate (QF, in Y) who had decided to give it a nudge, and he was not backwards in coming forwards WRT using the call button. I think it was on our 7th drink that the FA commented "I hope you guys are not driving at the destination" (we weren't). I think it was her subtle way of saying "no more drinks for you on this flight gents" - and we were not too far out from PER so I don't think we would have requested any more anyway. But I don't recall any angst from the crew at having to repeatedly answer our call button. A big YMMV situation I guess.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Would you feel obliged to walk to the kitchen in a restaurant to order a drink?

I wouldn't lose sleep if some crew feel put out for being asked to do their job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.