The end of JASA'a

Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blutek
mASA example SYD-LHR J (U bucket):
Classic Award 128,000 points + taxes.
JASA from 128,000 + about $670. Earns points & sc's.
In correct.
It is Classic Award 128,000 points + taxes + QF surcharges (Will be several $100's. SYD-LAX is ~ AUD450)
Do not confuse real taxes and "taxes and carrier imposed surcharge(~profit)"
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blutek
mASA example SYD-LHR J (U bucket) from last Nov bookings:
Classic Award 128,000 points + taxes.
JASA (at mASA) 128,000 + $685. Earns points & 240 sc's.
Given that the "taxes" ( including fare disguised as taxes ) for a business flight from SYD-LHR is $577.18 , paying $107.82 and getting an effective reduction in mileage cost of at least 12,500 ( due to miles earned from the flight ) , I wouldn't be calling the JASA a lot more expensive but more supports the loophole gaming of the system
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
Really when it was on the website where searching for an Any Seat Award also showed Any Seat Award purchases of a seat available as a classic award then it certainly plain and simple was normal business. The price in points was marginally higher than a classic award and it came with some perks (points and SC's).

It seems that Qantas had a better solution available to the fact that people were clocking up too much status for a certain spend (remember points are cash to Qantas, - you credit card company has to buy them!).

Their actual solution
  1. Quietly remove them from the website during another website change
  2. Pacify the forum dwellers with a phone in system
  3. Remove them altogether

Suggested better solution
  1. Leave them alone and on the website and increase the margin applied such that they were no longer a un afordable gift but a real contributor to profit.

My 2 cents and 10points worth.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lucky_man
Really when it was on the website where searching for an Any Seat Award also showed Any Seat Award purchases of a seat available as a classic award then it certainly plain and simple was normal business. The price in points was marginally higher than a classic award and it came with some perks (points and SC's).
This is how it was indeed, and the only times I'd book a JASA was under these prices. I didn't specifically realise it was at the classic level(or near to) but makes a lot of sense in hindsight. Thank you.

(I had figured it was an availability thing, so I was kind of close, but never gave it too much heed, just made good use of the cheaper rates because I'd never "buy" a full price-JASA.. way way WAY too expensive)
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Lucky_man
It seems that Qantas had a better solution available to the fact that people were clocking up too much status for a certain spend (remember points are cash to Qantas, - you credit card company has to buy them!).
hmmm - part of their better solution to reduce SCs also seemed to include offering double status credits for months on end effectively making every silver gold, and every gold platinum.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
hmmm - part of their better solution to reduce SCs also seemed to include offering double status credits for months on end effectively making every silver gold, and every gold platinum.
AFAIK all SC offers were for QF codes only, not even JQ.
So the massive reduction in partner SC, only QF flights included for loyalty bonus, increased cabin of service bonus for QF codes and limited status FFP bonus continues the theme of QF using QFF to drive people to purchase the higher yielding QF codes.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
AFAIK all SC offers were for QF codes only, not even JQ.
So the massive reduction in partner SC, only QF flights included for loyalty bonus, increased cabin of service bonus for QF codes and limited status FFP bonus continues the theme of QF using QFF to drive people to purchase the higher yielding QF codes.
or driving them to hopefully be less blinkered and see whether there are better options out there

of course there are some that think these changes are good http://www.smh.com.au/travel/blogs/t...331-35syi.html
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:10 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
I think those few double status promotions will not compensate for the reduction in SCs for partners. Lets face it, there are only a few people who get their status from high yield J/F tickets on QF metal. The majority will be a mixed bag of all sorts of fares and partners.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I think those few double status promotions will not compensate for the reduction in SCs for partners. Lets face it, there are only a few people who get their status from high yield J/F tickets on QF metal. The majority will be a mixed bag of all sorts of fares and partners.
We do not know that and the criteria for PO clearly indicates that there are quite a few high status people who fly a lot of QF flights, and most likely in the premium cabins.
For me self funded travel, lots of short hauls on QF, these changes have less adverse impact than someone who predominantly does non-QF flying especially long haul. The changes would benefit QF high fare flyers with increased FFP and SC for the higher fares that may help them with increasing their status.
Still the weakness of QFF compared to AAdvantage has increased with these changes for most people IMO.

Last edited by Blackcloud; Mar 31, 2014 at 1:43 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold
I had never even heard of JASAs until I read this thread, and I was so excited I jumped on the phone to Qantas and snaffled myself two of them. I needed 80 SCs before the end of June to keep my gold status, and I needed to get to Perth to visit my sister and have been trying to work out the cheapest way to do this: my last plan had me using points to fly to Auckland, then flying to Perth via Sydney in J (at $1020, this was $660 cheaper than flying direct to Perth from Melbourne). Imagine my delight at discovering that for 36,000 points and $210 I could fly to Perth in J and earn the 80 SCs I needed. And because on careful reading, it seems that they will still honour JASA awards that take effect after June 30 (they just won't allow you to book new ones from that date), I jumped in and snaffled the same deal for the return home, and a return trip to NZ for later in the year while I was at it. So thank you FlyerTalk - awesome score!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trinitygirl
I had never even heard of JASAs until I read this thread, and I was so excited I jumped on the phone to Qantas and snaffled myself two of them. I needed 80 SCs before the end of June to keep my gold status, and I needed to get to Perth to visit my sister and have been trying to work out the cheapest way to do this: my last plan had me using points to fly to Auckland, then flying to Perth via Sydney in J (at $1020, this was $660 cheaper than flying direct to Perth from Melbourne). Imagine my delight at discovering that for 36,000 points and $210 I could fly to Perth in J and earn the 80 SCs I needed. And because on careful reading, it seems that they will still honour JASA awards that take effect after June 30 (they just won't allow you to book new ones from that date), I jumped in and snaffled the same deal for the return home, and a return trip to NZ for later in the year while I was at it. So thank you FlyerTalk - awesome score!
it depends. If you booked your flight before 29 March, then you will continue to earn after 1 July.

If you have booked after 29 March, for travel after 1 July, then the new earn table will apply.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Apr 1, 2014 at 11:48 pm Reason: corrected dates
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:45 pm

it depends. If you booked your flight before 29 April, then you will continue to earn after 1 July.

If you have booked after 29 April, for travel after 1 July, then the new earn table will apply.
I thought that 29 March was the cutoff date, not april
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I thought that 29 March was the cutoff date, not april
correct! Got my months mixed up. Have edited my post accordingly.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:53 pm

If you just made the booking TrinityGirl in last couple of days, you may want to reconsider your plans since you will have missed the boat for earning on a marginal ASA
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you just made the booking TrinityGirl in last couple of days, you may want to reconsider your plans since you will have missed the boat for earning on a marginal ASA
This is incorrect.
ASA's booked up until 30th June will earn Points and SC.
Those booked before 29th March at the old rates, those booked after 29th March at the new points and SC rates for revenue fare classes.
ASA's will be unavailable to book from 30th June.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.