Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Himeno
Domestic sectors replaced by 738 or 330 (if BNE/SYD/MEL-PER or peak BNE/SYD/MEL flight). International sectors replaced by 330s.
There will be fewer domestic widebody flights.
The irony being that QF was not happy with the A330s for short domestic sectors compared to the 767s due to the turnaround time problems.

Personally I would have thought that a conversion of JQ 320s to QF colours could be good for QF, but then again, AJ still seems very attached to JQ. In fact the JQ fleet is very quickly catching up to QF sizing!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
Did he really actually say "we have withdrawn from Auckland, LA"? Is that the NZ Auckland?
He means pulling the QF25/26 MEL-AKL-LAX route. It operated with a 747 running the entire route before being changed to a 737 MEL-AKL and an A330 (from SYD) AKL-LAX, before dropping it around the time they dropped BKK/HKG-LHR.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Personally I would have thought that a conversion of JQ 320s to QF colours could be good for QF, but then again, AJ still seems very attached to JQ. In fact the JQ fleet is very quickly catching up to QF sizing!
Another reason he should never have gone from JQ to Qantas Group CEO. He appears to think he still only needs to run JQ.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
I suspect QF will swap the QF10 departure slot at LHR with EK for an earlier slot. EK will sell seats on the earlier QF flight, but gain the more lucrative evening slot.

EK has departures at 0910, 1335, 1630, 2015, 2200, so QF may want one of the two earlier slots, which would mean arrival at MEL early or late evening.

Of course EK needs an arrival slot to match, but arrival slots late PM at LHR are not impossible to get.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Or move both the MEL departure closer to midnight AND the departure from LHR to mid morning or lunchtime.
Mid-morning will not work for those to whom LHR is a hub, not a home. EK have been profiting from offering alternatives to just that kind of Londoncentric thinking.

The evening departures at the moment mean I can get a day's work done in ABZ then head to the airport. Morning departures will increase costs and chances of delays for connecting flyers.

If you don't care about connecting flyers, then why use LHR at all?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by libertyuk
I suspect QF will swap the QF10 departure slot at LHR with EK for an earlier slot. EK will sell seats on the earlier QF flight, but gain the more lucrative evening slot.

EK has departures at 0910, 1335, 1630, 2015, 2200, so QF may want one of the two earlier slots, which would mean arrival at MEL early or late evening.

Of course EK needs an arrival slot to match, but arrival slots late PM at LHR are not impossible to get.
QF still owns the 4 slot pairs at LHR. They have been leasing the other 2 pairs to BA.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by mandolino
Mid-morning will not work for those to whom LHR is a hub, not a home. EK have been profiting from offering alternatives to just that kind of Londoncentric thinking.

The evening departures at the moment mean I can get a day's work done in ABZ then head to the airport. Morning departures will increase costs and chances of delays for connecting flyers.

If you don't care about connecting flyers, then why use LHR at all?
QF used to have 4 flights from LHR.
1205 to SIN and SYD
1220 to HKG and MEL
2205 to SIN and MEL
2215 to BKK and SYD
After they dropped the HKG and BKK flights, they put everything to the ~10pm departures.
This retiming would (hopefully) mean 1 ~noon departure and 1 ~10pm departure.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I asked some years ago, would Qantas see it's 100th birthday...

I think the Titanic has hit the iceberg already, it's now how many souls can be saved before she goes down completely.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: various
I'm watching the demise of QF from Canada and I find it very sad. I was a regular domestically and the occasional TP and LHR-SYD.

I knew once EK settled into Australia in their vulture-like fashion that it was only a matter of time for QF. Why the government allowed EK to practice their subsidized predatory behaviour so freely is beyond me. I also knew that once QF got in bed with EK that I would personally never fly another QF international flight again.

Another problem is that most travellers (non frequent flyers) base their choice entirely on price and nothing else. They would fly in a box the size of a coffin if the price was right.

Unless airlines: 1. find a way to compete or block predators such as EK and 2. find a way to stop the spiral of quality - they are doomed.

Qantas appears to be following in a long list of such failures over the years - really to bad.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Perhaps its time to admit that some of the market has gone to VA domestically and a 65% line in the sand is no longer viable? I just read an article on smh that says he is still intending to keep that 65% marketshare. Seems crazy.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
The moment I heard about the JV between EK and QF I was expecting that QF will post losses in the future and EK benefit the most of that JV. All what happened because of the JV EK took all QF passengers heading to all european city other than LHR and QF got nothing.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:51 pm

Any news about Y+ coming to the A330s with the cabin refits?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by Himeno
Any news about Y+ coming to the A330s with the cabin refits?
I think the most optimistic answer is "Dream on"
I mentioned elsewhere that 7+ hour red-eyes will fill a Y+ cabin (quickly)

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:42 pm

I recall on this forum in 2002/3, when BA was on its knees in the post 9/11 world, a lot of swagger about how wonderful QF was and it should buy out BA. How the worm turns!

The Londoncentric thinking, to which mandolino refers, baked in QF's problems a long time ago. The glory days under Dixon were, in fact, the golden autumn years with winter well on its way. Of course the answer to these problems probably could have been found in Abu Dhabi, but that probably required someone other than the incumbent being CEO along with a renewed chairman and board and that someone else is running another airline.

I fear VH-RMD's prediction may come to pass.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:01 pm

You simply can't keep blaming the middle east airlines for everything going wrong at Qantas. The bigger problem at heart is poor management that did not plan well and then ended up with shoddy execution. Given that they had a head start in Asia with Jetstar they should have been able to capitalize on the same and turn it into a profitable cash cow just like many other of its Asian peers. Alas that never happened and its only getting worse.

The real need of the hour is a sustained long term oriented action plan with well thought out execution strategy rather than the band aid approach that's currently being employed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.