Qantas or Cathay in J

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:46 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by VLJ
SFO flights to AU are QF 747.
QF stopped flying SFO-SYD a couple of years ago -- much to UA's delight.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by og
QF stopped flying SFO-SYD a couple of years ago -- much to UA's delight.
Monopoly profits with a .... product. UA delight indeed.

Can we please have QF flights to SFO back!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:34 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by botfly

And in terms of service I feel QF is far superior as CX crew seem to do too much to try to impress you.
I guess some people just can't be pleased!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:30 am
VLJ
Original Poster

Thanks for all your comments and advice. We never fly without anecdotal opinions from Tripadvisor and FT so appreciate it.
For our trip to Canada and first white Christmas we managed to get J award seats Per-HKG-YVR and return J awards via LAX-MEL-PER.
Not ideal in terms of return options as we wanted to come home via YVR however it's a good end result considering it's between Christmas and NY.
We have a nine hour layover in Hong Kong on the way there as it wasn't possible to break the segments.
Return flights are good in that there is only 2hr transit in MEL.
We will fly from Calgary to LAX and stay overnight, spend the the full day in LA (suggestions welcome - perhaps a day tour) and also where to stay hotel wise.
Any advice re seats, etc much appreciated. Have pre selected 18A and B on A380 back to MEL.
Re the award seats, there was literally nothing from YVR-HKG-PER - it gets quite confusing at times as the J awards from LAX were avail for Cathay a week before QF awards released, seems to be the case on a lot of routes.
The QF options were hit and miss - were not released on the dates assumed according to website and info - however a week later they did release the desired dates - so it's worth continually checking even though the release date is well passed and does not indicate availability.
Also often there were Y only options avail on the calendar but when you clicked on the Y option there were also J awards available for that day.
Happy to say 534,000 points later and three weeks of checking constantly - we have our flights sorted!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
congrats for all your hard work, enjoy!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by VLJ
Thanks for all your comments and advice. We never fly without anecdotal opinions from Tripadvisor and FT so appreciate it.
For our trip to Canada and first white Christmas we managed to get J award seats Per-HKG-YVR and return J awards via LAX-MEL-PER.
Not ideal in terms of return options as we wanted to come home via YVR however it's a good end result considering it's between Christmas and NY.
We have a nine hour layover in Hong Kong on the way there as it wasn't possible to break the segments.
Return flights are good in that there is only 2hr transit in MEL.
We will fly from Calgary to LAX and stay overnight, spend the the full day in LA (suggestions welcome - perhaps a day tour) and also where to stay hotel wise.
Any advice re seats, etc much appreciated. Have pre selected 18A and B on A380 back to MEL.
Re the award seats, there was literally nothing from YVR-HKG-PER - it gets quite confusing at times as the J awards from LAX were avail for Cathay a week before QF awards released, seems to be the case on a lot of routes.
The QF options were hit and miss - were not released on the dates assumed according to website and info - however a week later they did release the desired dates - so it's worth continually checking even though the release date is well passed and does not indicate availability.
Also often there were Y only options avail on the calendar but when you clicked on the Y option there were also J awards available for that day.
Happy to say 534,000 points later and three weeks of checking constantly - we have our flights sorted!
I was seated 18K on flight from SYD-HKG last December. I think all J seats in the main cabin are equally good. According to Seatguru (which I always check out before selecting my seats), seats 20A/K's compartment does not open and also the last row is close to the lavatories. I dont know' whether it's workable but when you check in, try to ask the counter staff to see if they can move you up to rows 11-13. If airline can charge you for exit rows then I don't see why they don't do the same for the mini cabin. It really has the added privacy and is more quiet.

Glad you mentioned YVR as I've spent 14 years there before moving to HK!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:49 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by botfly
... I dont know' whether it's workable but when you check in, try to ask the counter staff to see if they can move you up to rows 11-13. If airline can charge you for exit rows then I don't see why they don't do the same for the mini cabin. It really has the added privacy and is more quiet.
But QF don't charge for "special" seats in J, so there is no precedent for charging for row 11, 12 or 13. The system works well enough for favouring higher status QF FFers - a practice adopted by most airlines in various ways.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by og
But QF don't charge for "special" seats in J, so there is no precedent for charging for row 11, 12 or 13. The system works well enough for favouring higher status QF FFers - a practice adopted by most airlines in various ways.
Sorry that I didn't express myself clear enough. I just suggested VLJ to try to check with the check-in counter staff just in case rows 11-13 are free up before departure.

I was just saying that the extra comfort in the mini cabin is worth as much as the extra few inches in exit rows.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:14 am

Programs: LifeQP LTS, Avis
Originally Posted by VLJ
t ....spend the the full day in LA (suggestions welcome - perhaps a day tour) and also where to stay hotel wise.
The TA LA travel forum will offer lots of advice, but sometimes they tend to forget that "first-timers" to LA just want to see the "normal" sights. So presuming this is what you want to do, may I suggest staying in Hollywood close to the Kodak Theatre, where most of the tourist buses depart from. You can do the usual star's homes tour, perhaps including Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier and Rodeo Drive. A long way between these spots, so it's an all-day tour. Try Starline as a tour company. And of course there's always Disneyland for the young-at-heart... Universal Studios is a good bet also. I've stayed up there a couple of times, because of the eateries at Universal City Walk.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:02 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by VLJ
I am sure the folks at the FlyerTalk Los Angeles forum will be more than willing to provide some suggestions for your short stay.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.