Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Did QF8 make it out of DFW on Dec. 5 or 6?

Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:06 am
Original Poster

I can't see what happened on the 5th any longer. It looks like it pushed back and then came back to the gate at 02:17.

On December 6th, it looks like they planned to stop in AKL but after leaving the gate 3 hours late it returned to the gate after 2 1/2 hours.

Just curious if anyone has first hand information.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:04 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Try the QF web site for arrivals - delay times are shown.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:47 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Have a look here as well: http://www.theqantassource.com/index.html
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chuck1
I can't see what happened on the 5th any longer. It looks like it pushed back and then came back to the gate at 02:17.

On December 6th, it looks like they planned to stop in AKL but after leaving the gate 3 hours late it returned to the gate after 2 1/2 hours.

Just curious if anyone has first hand information.
DFW, and much of north Texas, has been suffering from some very bad "ice storms" over the past few days. On Friday around 90% of all flights out of DFW were cancelled, and today (Saturday) isn't looking much better.

I don't have anything first-hand on QF8, but...

It looks like nothing went out Thursday night (5th).

Friday night (6th) FlightAware is showing both a QF8 (headed to AKL) and a QF8D but I'm fairly sure there was only one, which according to the Qantas website went to Auckland after departing DFW with a 3:30 hour delay.

Tonight (Saturday 7th) is again showing as going via AKL. Tomorrow (Sunday 8th) is currently showing as scheduled as per normal.

I suspect loads will be light, as with so many flights cancelled the odds of people making it into DFW to connect would be low - but still obviously not low enough for them to take on enough fuel to takeoff in the poor conditions and make it to BNE. Probably a lot of re-booking via LAX going on at the moment.

Originally Posted by Hvr
Wow, according to that site the fact I'm running ....... makes me a Pirate!
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Just watched the news. Said Qantas flight of 75 passengers last night was canceled. The cool thing thou, is Qantas let the passenger use the plane as their hotel. They could come and go all night, but had a warm place to stay and movies to watch. That was really nice of them. I never heard of an airline doing this before.

At least Qantas stayed at the gate. Lufthansa slid of taxiway when taxiing to take-off last night.
http://youtu.be/lM7y9b-GKeA
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:14 am

Programs: American AAdvantage

Deleted... Got my dates wrong.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
News on the evening of the 7th showed a QF A380 snowed in at DFW, but I can't find that any of them should have been there when I search on flightaware.com.

Can anyone shed some light?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:31 am

I was on that QF8 flight on 5 Dec (VH-OEI). The condition was so bad that ice built up faster than they could complete their checklist after de-icing the whole plane. We had to return to the gate. As reported, we could stay in the plane or walk around the terminal but all shops were closed. They eventually managed to get ground transportation to take us to Hilton Anatole around 6-7am. We eventually left Dallas on flight QF7008 that day (6 Dec, 20:00, delayed until 22:30 due to crew stuck in traffic, waiting for catering and missing tug driver (!)) using VH-OEJ. I beleve the real QF8 for 6 Dec, which supposed to depart after us, got cancelled (i checked the arrival board in BNE and QF8 was showing as cancelled).
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:01 am

Airlines and airports are real children these days with winter weather. Where's Burt Lancaster when you need him?!!!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by bmchris
Airlines and airports are real children these days with winter weather.
If you watch a few air crash investigation episodes you'll understand why they are cautious. Particularly in cities where that weather is unusual
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:34 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airlines and airports are real children these days with winter weather. Where's Burt Lancaster when you need him?!!!
I presume you don't understand why ice and aircraft don't mix.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by djpjapan
If you watch a few air crash investigation episodes you'll understand why they are cautious. Particularly in cities where that weather is unusual
Have you seen the movie "Airport"?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:50 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you seen the movie "Airport"?
Gotcha. I missed the compulsory emoticon, so wasn't sure if you were using irony. Actually, mix "Airport" and "Flying High" and you should be able to solve any problem. @:-):-:^
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:55 pm

I thought the reference to Burt Lancaster would have been enough! I guess we also need Dean Martin as the pilot. This is some of the stuff that should have been going on at DFW:

"By exceeding the Boeing 707 flight manual's engine operating parameters, Patroni frees the stuck jet, allowing Lincoln International's primary runway to be reopened just in time to permit the crippled Golden Argosy to land."

Last edited by bmchris; Dec 10, 2013 at 1:01 pm
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: QF WP
I'm too young for Airport, but the Flying High autopilot should make things rosie then

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.