Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Lied to a fellow passenger about occupied bulkhead seat.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold

So on a recent QF flight to Dubai I was seated in a bulkhead seat when about 20 mins after takeoff a backpacker type of guy came up and asked to sit in the empty seat next to me, when I'd already spread out on to.
I lied and told him that my wife was sitting there and was in the toilet... Was that a bad lie?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Yachtman
So on a recent QF flight to Dubai I was seated in a bulkhead seat when about 20 mins after takeoff a backpacker type of guy came up and asked to sit in the empty seat next to me, when I'd already spread out on to.
I lied and told him that my wife was sitting there and was in the toilet... Was that a bad lie?
If the situation was reversed and you were given a similar response, would it be a bad lie?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:45 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Yachtman
Is there a difference between a "backpacker type of guy" and any other passenger who is allowed on board ?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I learnt back in the 90's that a spare seat next to one in economy can be like a lottery win and should not be given up lightly.

Understandable the desire for more space - note the seat jumping "down the back" on lightly loaded flights once the seatbelt sign goes off.

If there was no obvious special consideration for the "requester" to have the seat I would have simply said no. If pressed I would have pulled the status/DWKWIA shadow card - with no regrets.

Last edited by serfty; Nov 27, 2013 at 3:39 pm
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by og
Is there a difference between a "backpacker type of guy" and any other passenger who is allowed on board ?
If that was Jennifer
Hawkins I'm sure the op wouldn't lie
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:26 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Moving on from my earlier issue that the OP seemed not to like "backpackers" (DWKHIA), I have successfully protected a centre row of 4 from predators who wanted 2 of the seats. It took courage, glares, moving as soon as the seatbelt light went out and stretching out immediately. I recall I ate in a horizontal position. It was quite fun really. The sleep was brilliant and I could stretch out better than in J or F. But that was in backpacker days ....
Old Nov 27, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by Sant
If the situation was reversed and you were given a similar response, would it be a bad lie?
The issue is that it's an impolite request to make in the first place, so I assume the OP would never have asked.

"Hey dude, can I significantly increase my own comfort by significantly decreasing yours?" No dude, you may not.

I generally don't lie under any circumstances but I can see that given the close quarters it can be best to defuse the situation with a bald-faced lie rather than get into an argument about who has the right to do what.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I would've lied and said it was occupied. The chap was cheeky asking in the first place.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by Genius1
I would've lied and said it was occupied. The chap was cheeky asking in the first place.
I agree. People shouldn't be allowed to move around the cabin unless there is a safety issue.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Bulkheads and extra legroom are protected by cabin crew on many airlines these days. VS for example will ask you to pay the extra charge if you are not booked into that seat. I would have said the seat was soiled but hey that's me
Old Nov 27, 2013, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Why did dude think he could move in the first place?

I would have done the same thing you did, OP. Except I would have told him it was my supermodel girlfriend.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 4:58 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
"Sorry, mate, its in use already" .... (by my ipad/book/laptop).

If they insist, I would direct them to gain permission from a flight attendant and hope that the FA comes and asks me first, where my response would be extremely hesitant and hopefully portray the message accurately.

I assume the OP must have had the block of three seats to himself. In such a circumstance, I will always sit in either the aisle seat or the middle seat, ensuring that the middle/aisle are not seen as an attractive target for seat-hoppers. I avoid sitting in the window seat and leaving the others as bait.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Why did dude think he could move in the first place?
Because Qantas, unlike Jetstar, does permit it
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Because Qantas, unlike Jetstar, does permit it
I have asked the flight attendants permission and then moved seats on several death* flights. Never had any issues.
(never moved to a bulkhead though )
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Pinkmoose
I have asked the flight attendants permission and then moved seats on several death* flights. Never had any issues.
(never moved to a bulkhead though )
On Jetstar (international at least ) on flights I have been on , it has been part of the announcements that have to stay in allocated seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.