Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas upgrades Business Class sleep experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas upgrades Business Class sleep experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:45 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by matthandy
Right, from the Qantas website:

"Get sleepy in Business. Our new sleep service, including a new mattress, duvet and turndown service, is now rolling out in International Business cabins across the network. Enjoy the service on flights QF107 and 108 to LA now, soon to be followed by more flights to LA from 17 December; Dallas, Johannesburg and New York from 7 January; Singapore, London and Frankfurt from 14 January; and Hong Kong, Narita, Bangkok, Jakarta, Shanghai and Manila from 28 January 2013."

m0hamed, I'm afraid that it's not me making the wrong assumptions at all.
Unless I'm not mistaken today is 13 January 2013. It states that it will be offered on QF128 from 28 January 2013.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by og
I can relate to that (the 3 hr meal service). I'm on CX next month specifically because of QF's delays in getting the evening meal service underway and their insistence on 2 hr start to breakfast before landing. Oh, and as for heavy duvet, well, that'd be good for sleeping on with a nice light blanket over me - given the QF cabin temperatures seem set to "simmer".
I regularly find the J cabins hot (mostly with QF, but others too). I made some enquiries and it appears that the most likely reason is that the crew areas tend to be cold (often due to door proximity) so they put up the cabin temp a bit to warm up, or if the temp rises a bit by itself (maybe a lot of laptops etc in operation), they don't notice the anomalous warmth and don't do anything about it.

I'm always reluctant to say anything, as you don't know if its OK with everyone else. But the one or 2 times I have noted a hot cabin, they've checked and said 'yes, it is a bit high, we'll turn it down'.

Bloody full meal services on late night departure times is a curse. When they drag on for 2-3 hours its the pits if you want to sleep.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Unless I'm not mistaken today is 13 January 2013. It states that it will be offered on QF128 from 28 January 2013.
Indeed, however your first post states that it will never be offered on the 128, which is wrong.
Why exactly are you being so difficult?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Gold IHG Ambassador Spire Shangri La Diamond
So does that include QF72 Sin Per as well as qf2 from LHR from 14th. Look forward to reading a report, I can see several positives in this service
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:15 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Does QF still offer "room service" breakfast where they take your order before sleeping? I always thought this was a good idea to maximise sleep time.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:53 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by sxc
Does QF still offer "room service" breakfast where they take your order before sleeping? I always thought this was a good idea to maximise sleep time.
The crew apparently like to start serving the breakfast trays 2 hrs before arrival. This works well for the crew but passengers are left to go back to sleep for the next hour and a half after the breakfast run. Not so good for maximising sleep time.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:20 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

It used to be that if you ordered the simpler continental breakfast you would get it last. Too bad this innovation has been "enhanced".
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: QF
Have QF22 zone A early Feb, any enhancement would be nice.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by og
The crew apparently like to start serving the breakfast trays 2 hrs before arrival. This works well for the crew but passengers are left to go back to sleep for the next hour and a half after the breakfast run. Not so good for maximising sleep time.
this is true, decidedly un-premium to be woken at 4am HK time on the 128 to be fed (considering it takes forever for them to serve dinner also). contrast to CX who were more than happy to serve brekky an hour before landing after a good lie-in
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:43 am

Can I still ask not to be woken at all (ie no breakfast) until just before landing (ie the time they need us to start getting everything stowed away - roughly 30 mins out on BA by comparison
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:49 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
Can I still ask not to be woken at all (ie no breakfast) until just before landing (ie the time they need us to start getting everything stowed away - roughly 30 mins out on BA by comparison
Of course you can ask. But there will be enough noise from cutlery, plates, lights, Captain on the PA at T-60 min etc so you will be very awake even if you pretend to keep your eyes closed.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by og
Of course you can ask. But there will be enough noise from cutlery, plates, lights, Captain on the PA at T-60 min etc so you will be very awake even if you pretend to keep your eyes closed.
Accepted, though I can sleep through a fire alarm ringing 20 feet from me (and there was no alcohol induction on the sleep). My comotose, dormouse tendencies are legendary the world over
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
This will still be done on flights that have a full hot breakfast.

On flights from SIN/MNL/CGK for example where it was just a continental option the card is no longer handed out. The advantage to removing the room service style breakfast is that the new breakfast service for can be done in a quicker amount of time, however all the options are still there.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:29 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eoinnz
The advantage to removing the room service style breakfast is that the new breakfast service for can be done in a quicker amount of time, however all the options are still there.
That's good news. BUT, does this mean a later start to breakfast - say 1.5 hrs before arrival instead of the current 2 hrs?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:40 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

I find all these reports of long meal service times quite interesting since I mostly fly CX. on HKG-SYD, they manage to throw out a supper service within 2 hours of take off - I don't know the exact time as I usually take the "one-tray" quick service and go to sleep. But I know when I've woken again within 2 hours of takeoff, the service has been complete. CX also manages a full hot breakfast which starts 2 hrs before landing, but the times when I've slept through that and woken up 1 hour beforehand, they have offered to serve me breakfast and still give me a full hot breakfast all in one tray.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.